Balancing the F-14

ENERG1A

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

read the op, its about giving redfor a phoenix-esque option which imo is unnecessary, because:

1) mig31 data and permission will literally be impossible to obtain

2) a simpler solution already exists as iranian tomcats

3) the time required to code another complex module would mean we'd still be stuck with only the phoenix for the forseeable future regardless

imo anyone who insists on 1:1 equivalent combat is just a baddie who is afraid of getting challenged, in reality pilots dont get a choice about what aircraft they're going up in and what aircraft they're going to fight. they have to make the best of what they have which is the real exercise of combat.

Edited by probad
too many 2s

If anyone's interested, the paper linked below has several subsonic/supersonic trajectories and more importantly at several launch angles: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20060004771.pdf

Really interesting to see how launch angle can affect the range of the missile. Launching the Phoenix at an angle of 45 degrees can triple its performance! :smartass:

Mig31 would make pretty much any plane obsolete. It was the plane that made SR71 obsolete.

Its like half plane half space ship.

regarding F14, if those large missiles are going to be as bad as r27 at hitting things which is reasonable for a large missle, then they mgiht not be such a big deal after all. Tbh i dont believe this huge missile can take out fighters with any sort of reliability IRL. And when you run out of your missiles you re stuck with a rather un maneuverable and slow F14 in a dogfight. Ps f14 is largely overrated. I think it is a step below su27 and f15t.

Edited by MaxDamage

Mig31 would make pretty much any plane obsolete. It was the plane that made SR71 obsolete.
Satellite imaging made the SR-71 obsolete.
Tbh i dont believe this huge missile can take out fighters with any sort of reliability IRL.
They were tested against fighter-like targets doing fighter-like maneuvers IRL. It would do ok.
And when you run out of your missiles you re stuck with a rather un maneuverable and slow F14 in a dogfight. Ps f14 is largely overrated. I think it is a step below su27 and f15t.
The F-14 is maneuverable and fast. The F-14As with the TF-30 were under-powered, but F-14A+/Bs with the new engines would make you cry hax ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Ps f14 is largely overrated. I think it is a step below su27 and f15t.

It's not overrated :P It's designed for different purposes.

In short, the F-14 was designed (performance wise) with fuel economy i mind. Something the designers of the F-15 (and probably Su-27) didn't have to. So yes, of course there's differences as they fill different roles.

It's not overrated :P It's designed for different purposes.

In short, the F-14 was designed (performance wise) with fuel economy i mind. Something the designers of the F-15 (and probably Su-27) didn't have to. So yes, of course there's differences as they fill different roles.

The difference being that two of them (f15 & su27) are gona get their asses kicked!:thumbup:

I don't get why this is an issue in the first place. if LN models the radar correctly, and with some decent mission design, the F-14 will not be a hammer of god that murders everything in the sky.

For Reference, the Mirage 2000 is undergunned compared to both the Flanker and the F-15 and still does pretty well online. Same goes against the F-14.

I don't get why this is an issue in the first place. if LN models the radar correctly, and with some decent mission design, the F-14 will not be a hammer of god that murders everything in the sky.

For Reference, the Mirage 2000 is undergunned compared to both the Flanker and the F-15 and still does pretty well online. Same goes against the F-14.

That's because the mirage is severely over modeled, engine performance wise, flight model wise, and damage model wise.

That's because the mirage is severely over modeled, engine performance wise, flight model wise, and damage model wise.

With "over modeled", do you perhaps mean 'over performing'?

Harsh accusations. "French bias"? :P

read the op, its about giving redfor a phoenix-esque option which imo is unnecessary, because:

"1) mig31 data and permission will literally be impossible to obtain"

I don't see how it would be hard to get permission to model an aircraft that entered service over 30 years ago.

"2) a simpler solution already exists as Iranian tomcats"

And Russia misses out again? There are too many western aircraft in game and development, we need to have a balance, quota, something or no one will be playing Russia anymore and it will be reduced to some aggressor force which no one will play because they will constantly be outmatched, you can if course make the best of the situation but not everyone has the same mindset as you ;)

"3) the time required to code another complex module would mean we'd still be stuck with only the phoenix for the forseeable future regardless"

Then use Iranian Tomcats as a placeholder

"imo anyone who insists on 1:1 equivalent combat is just a baddie who is afraid of getting challenged, in reality pilots dont get a choice about what aircraft they're going up in and what aircraft they're going to fight. they have to make the best of what they have which is the real exercise of combat."

Not sure if this is bait but i'll bite

Exactly, they don't have a choice so of course they have to make the best of a situation, are you saying if a WW2 squadron had a choice between upgrading from P-40s to P-51s would they opt for Kittyhawks? No, they would choose the plane that's more likely to get them home safely.

I don't see how it would be hard to get permission to model an aircraft that entered service over 30 years ago.

The main problem has get the authorisation from the russian military stament the necessary approval to build a module, remember the ban with the military secret law by the "Official Secrets Act of the Russian Federation" without military and government catalogue you a traitor send to jail by reveal secret military info.

If it were easy, ED wouldn't be legally boxed in on systems modelling for the Su-27 baseline standard or the MiG-29A as discussed previously on this forum at great length, and reiterated by Dragon.

Everything is conceptually simple until you actually go out and attempt to do it- then you run into reality.

• Like 1

The main problem has get the authorisation from the russian military stament the necessary approval to build a module, remember the ban with the military secret law by the "Official Secrets Act of the Russian Federation" without military and government catalogue you a traitor send to jail by reveal secret military info.

couldn't they legally obtain permission of MIG design bureau and base it on the Kazachstan Mig 31?