gear vr vs oculus

Dave317

I need a new phone despiratly as my current galaxy s4 is on its last legs. I've locked at the galaxy s7 but I would be fine with another s4 which will be a lot cheaper. I would also love an oculus rift but they are just too expensive for me at the minute. I've read countless reviews about the gear vr and galaxy s7 but can't make up my mind. Has anyone tried both and can give a real world comparison between the gear vr and oculus cv1? Obviously i would mainly be using it for dcs.

From what I have read, since I haven't gotten gear VR yet (just got a Galaxy S7 a few days ago), Gear VR is useless for DCS. Get the cheaper phone and spend the rest on a Rift.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

GearVR wont connect directly to your PC, You can "Stream" the video at a loss of qualuty and latency

GearVR is only 3DoF (3 Rotation Axes).

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

For the price of a Phone and $100.00 USD You get a cool VR experence but it doesn't work with DCS. I have the Rift and It's awesome with DCS. (or Project Cars).

Don't get me wrong, I like my s7, it's a great phone and Gear VR is cool for what you get but it's nowhere near Rift quality. (Neat games though). Expand ability and a beefier processor are a good reason to upgrade.

I can't wait until the Touch come out and there should be some announcement later today.

i7-6700 / 32GB DDR4 / 500GB SSD / GT 108 Founders /Oculus S/ Warthog /TRP/Obutto Ozone

The two things dont really compare other than they are both VR devices of some sort.

Gear VR is powered by your phone. And as said you'd need to stream your video feed from your PC, which, for gaming purpose won't work in a satisfactory manner.

Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive on the other hand are powered straight by your PC, just like any display you have.

Gear VR would best be described as "a nice experience, but ultimately more of an expensive toy", where as the full blown headsets are the real thing. The current state of VR is good, but there is lot to be improved on. With that in mind, if you want to go with VR, DO NOT make compromises on the headset. You'll only waste money if you do.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Gear VR is good for watching movies in VR Theatre, lol... that's about it.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I tried it but only cause my contract came with Gear VR for free which like Skate says its really does have low latency, but it will coheres you into buying the Rift as it did me or just go for the Rift.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit