So how well does Asynchronous Space Warp work in DCS?

RoyMi6

This has worked great for me I can't believe the difference!!! I had the graphic settings so it was acceptable but could only fly missions from Batumi or Mozdak on the Caucasus map with shadows off. Now I can put most of the setting on high shadows medium and it's as smooth as butter unbelievable, this opens up a lot more of the map for me for creating missions it's great. If I spent around £500.00 on a new graphics card and it made this amount of difference I would have said the money was well spent.

I am using this with DCS World Beta, I can't seem to get it to work with DCS World but this could be me, I'm going to look into this today.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it is great for lower end systems.

It is no silver bullet though, at least for me. It introduces a lot of artifacts. For instance, if you fly relatively low and look left at the tip of your ECM pod (on standard loadouts), you'll notice the tip change shape as it blends with the background. You won't notice in tense combat situations but it is pretty noticeable when flying into/out of the AO.

Plus, I have a pretty high end system (i7 6700k, Nvidia 1080, 16go DDR4) and run at 1.8x to make everything more legible.

I am still plagued with micro stutters even with ASW on. It is most noticeable when flying a low altitude a looking down right to the ground. The ground texture should fly by smoothly but it doesn't. The effect is even worse with ASW on.

Dunno if you guys experience the same effect.

Happy Flying ! :pilotfly:

--

My specs: i7 8700K oc 5.0gHz, Asus Maximus Hero X, 32 Go DDR4 3600MHz, GTX1080 oc 2025MHz, Samsung Evo 960 SSD, Oculus rift CV1, 2 sensors. VKB Gunfighter w/ Warthog stick. Warthog throttle. Custom 6xrotary box. MFG rudder pedals

I don't notice too many artifact issues, if I fly in areas that are to demanding I get wobble on the graphics so I avoid areas like that. It may not be perfect but it's night and day for me, my system isn't too bad i7 4790 @ 4.8g 1070 GTX, 1TB SSD, but it struggled, I couldn't have shadows on at all but now I can have shadows on medium and it looks and runs great. I also seem to be able to fly from most airfields with out any problem, I couldn't do that before.

The only time I get micro stutter as you described was when I had the pixel density to high or flying over wooded areas, i have tree shadows turned off and use 1.8 PD and don't seem to get stutter

That seems to be the consensus. Windows 8+ is now listed for the minimum hardware requirement. I don't know if it's dx12 related.

It's pretty frustrating. First I'm forced to upgrade my GFX card after being lied to that the GTX970 is 'VR Ready'. Now I'm forced to upgrade to Win10 just to get ASW which is supposed to help the first problem. Pretty idiotic.

Sorry, why isn't the GTX970 VR ready? The min spec has recently just been lowered to the GTX960 because of ASW.

Every game available via the Oculus Store will run fine on your GTX970. Just like with anything on the PC however some games will take advantage of other graphic card and OS dependant features.

You also don't need to update to Windows 10. Just Windows 8. Pedantic, yes, but really what's actually holding you back from updating to 10 anyway - especially when it was free for so long.

u also don't need to update to Windows 10. Just Windows 8. Pedantic, yes, but really what's actually holding you back from updating to 10 anyway - especially when it was free for so long.

Not to mention the fact that Windows 10 is leaps and bounds ahead of Windows 8. Its definitely worth upgrading. If he has Windows 7, Windows 10 is pretty close to it in how it operates, and opens up a whole new set of possibilities. An OEM version of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit can be had from several legitimate on-line retailers for about 140 bucks now. Microsoft is still offering the free upgrade to people who use assistive technology on their current system. Not sure what, if anything, is required to qualify for that, but that could be an option as well. For anybody upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, sometimes you might have card readers stop working due to lack of drivers, but there is a solution for that. After a lot of frustration and brain damage, I found that Windows 8.1 drivers work with Windows 10 for my card reader.

Sorry to go a little OT, this is meant to help the guys who are on the fence about upgrading their OS. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I'm sticking with Win7 :(

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I just moved from Win 7 to 10. ASW was worth the effort (for me anyway). DCS much smoother. Elite Dangerous great improvement. Have been able to move PD up a couple of notches. Oculus rocks.

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

I avoided the free move to Windows 10. Like Derek I'd prefer to keep Windows 7 but this feature has me tempted.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

I avoided the free move to Windows 10. Like Derek I'd prefer to keep Windows 7 but this feature has me tempted.

If you like windows 7 you can run windows 10 almost the same as 7, if you install the windows 7 start menu app and use the 7 style desktop you'll never know the difference

If you like windows 7 you can run windows 10 almost the same as 7, if you install the windows 7 start menu app and use the 7 style desktop you'll never know the difference

Thanks johnco. I'll look into it.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

I loved Win7 as well. But I like Win10 better. Can't wait to try the new warp feature out.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

One option you can try with regard to Win 7 and Win10 is to have a dual boot system which is the way I operate. It allows me to make sure I can test out Win10 for all my desired applications before I finally turn Win7 off. It did require that I use my older/smaller SSD (just 128gb) for win10. Someone around you probably has the Win10 install on a flash drive.

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

Well I bit the bullet and just upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I've created a Windows disc and I am now performing a clean install. My drives were due a clean up anyway. It's going to be a long day installing software but I hated the idea of moving to a new OS and not having it clean.

Anyone got any tips or things I should address which may boost performance of the new OS? Please pm me if you wish to avoid derailing this thread.

Just a quick impression. I hope to test later today a bit more thoroughly. But first impression is WOW! I jacked up my settings to HIGH (default) but used flat shadows. And it was extremely smooth in Vegas tour quick mission.

I'll test later today (I hope) and will report back.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

stupid question

I tried to follow the instructions to enable asw (

)

.4 right click it and select "merge"

I don't see that option available when I right click (i'm logged in as an admin)

Thanks for your help

Best

Fulcrum

:pilotfly:

win 10x64 - Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero - I9 9900K@5.0GHz - Samsung 970 EVO m2 2TB - RAM Corsair 64GB DDR4 - Corsair H150i pro - Strix RTX 2080 Ti- oculus rift S and a few other goodies :joystick:

stupid question

I tried to follow the instructions to enable asw (

)

.4 right click it and select "merge"

I don't see that option available when I right click (i'm logged in as an admin)

Thanks for your help

Best

Fulcrum

Make sure you rename the downloaded file with a .reg extension.

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

Make sure you rename the downloaded file with a .reg extension.

I did. but he still shows like a txt file :cry:

edit: problem solved. I saved in "*.reg" using all file in the txt editor

Thanks a lot

Best

Edited by fulcrum_64th

:pilotfly:

win 10x64 - Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero - I9 9900K@5.0GHz - Samsung 970 EVO m2 2TB - RAM Corsair 64GB DDR4 - Corsair H150i pro - Strix RTX 2080 Ti- oculus rift S and a few other goodies :joystick:

Well I bit the bullet and just upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I've created a Windows disc and I am now performing a clean install. My drives were due a clean up anyway. It's going to be a long day installing software but I hated the idea of moving to a new OS and not having it clean.

Anyone got any tips or things I should address which may boost performance of the new OS? Please pm me if you wish to avoid derailing this thread.

Barnacules has a great video on W10:

Back OT (sort of): I'm hoping to get someone from Oculus to respond here:

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/43625/asw-and-windows-7-users-are-we-out-of-luck#latest

Anyone else who wants to stick with W7 should give it a reply and say so ;)

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Anybody else having wobbling effects with ASW on? The frame update rate seems to go up to 45 as it should in heavy graphics (Vegas for example), but frames update in bursts and they are not uniform. So objects don't flow smoothly, they wobble.. I don't mind the standard ASW effects such as ghosts etc. but wobbling makes it even with how it was before.. I tried updating my graphics card drivers but it didn't help.. I also tried to turn on/off VSYNC and fullscreen. I also maximized/minimized DCS window to no effect. Any experiences?

people on the reddit forums were talking about supersampling via the oculus debug tool from the SDK, and getting better image quality instead of using in game graphic settings.. on elite dangerous,

im just wondering if anyone has messed around for DCS..

DCS has a pixel density slider under options/vr. You don't need to use the debug tool.

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

So I just tried flying the Vegas tour with settings set to "High" reduced the tree clutter to 1,000, set it to Flat Shadows, and I think I set AA to 8, maybe 16.

With the ASW setting, it was buttery smooth. When I look around, at Tropicana, or Mirage, it was super smooth. After Mirage, I turned right (over the neighborhood) and landed.

With ASW off, there was a lot of judder. Enough to make you sick, if you're susceptible. Over the neighborhood, there as a *LOT* of judder.

So bottom line is that ASW is a KILLER feature. I used to fly mostly 1.5 because it was so much smoother than 2.0/NTTR. With ASW, it is *soooo* much smoother.

Thank you Oculus!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---