So how well does Asynchronous Space Warp work in DCS?

RoyMi6

--snippage--

Back OT (sort of): I'm hoping to get someone from Oculus to respond here:

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/43625/asw-and-windows-7-users-are-we-out-of-luck#latest

Anyone else who wants to stick with W7 should give it a reply and say so ;)

Derek, predictably, it turned into a flame fest over at Oculus. I don't know if the limit of W8 and higher is artificial or has some technical requirement.

I can't fault them for not support an OS that's two rev's behind, but if Oculus says Win7 is supported, they have to try and make it whole - to a point. I don't want them spending too many cycles support older OS.

As I said, I have no idea if it's an artificial limit or not. But I will say that ASW is worth the upgrade to Win 10. It's pretty freaking awesome.

But

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody else having wobbling effects with ASW on? The frame update rate seems to go up to 45 as it should in heavy graphics (Vegas for example), but frames update in bursts and they are not uniform. So objects don't flow smoothly, they wobble.. I don't mind the standard ASW effects such as ghosts etc. but wobbling makes it even with how it was before.. I tried updating my graphics card drivers but it didn't help.. I also tried to turn on/off VSYNC and fullscreen. I also maximized/minimized DCS window to no effect. Any experiences?

I have the same effect with ASW turned on, when frames drop below 45 fps. "Wobbling" is a good description of what I can see. It`s no stuttering, picture seems to make a kind of soft jump every second.

After a touch and go at MC Carran airport frames went down to 10fps and didn`t increase again. I had to exit the game. Didn`t have such problems with ASW off.

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

For me, activating ASW created more problems than it addressed. Lots of choppiness, stutters, artefacts... So much so that I've disabled it for the time being.

It certainly went some way to curing the ghosting effect on fast moving objects but the ghosting never really bothered me that much. Prior to ASW I got very solid performance consistently with nothing but an occasional stutter. That's with most things set high and a PD of 2.0 It's interesting to see how different people's experiences compare, though it can be quite a subjective subject.

As a possible aside to that, I could see no appreciable difference when using the cntl+1, 2, 3, 4 keys, though ASW did appear to be active according to my Oculus service logs, and the evidence mentioned above.

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

yea, but the people using the debug tool on elite are getting better visual results as opposed to using the in game settings.
Vive user here. (What makes this event more off topic...)

The supersampling setting in ED is not VR specific and seems to give performance issues. I'm using the recommended settings (SS: 0.65 in ED and pixel density: 2.0) and it works wonders both in performance and visual quality.

I'm going to wait and see what Oculus does with ASW and W7. I don't find it in good taste to back door upping the minimum OS requirements with an enhancement that actually makes the hardware requirements lower.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Barnacules has a great video on W10:

Back OT (sort of): I'm hoping to get someone from Oculus to respond here:

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/43625/asw-and-windows-7-users-are-we-out-of-luck#latest

Anyone else who wants to stick with W7 should give it a reply and say so ;)

Oculus responded with basically, too bad but Windows 7 will not be supported for this

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

It leaves me guessing if their excuse is legitimate or one based from developer apathy and laziness, though that's an argument to be made another day.

#disappointed

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

It may be related to WDDM differences between OS versions or some such. It may be that they're just not finished. After all, ASW is not officially released yet and only available through a registry edit. I wouldn't light the torches just yet, until we know more.

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

After playing with ASW with different settings I found that it works wonders if your original frame rate is above 45. If you are below 45, it causes frame burst effects every second. In the latter case, I find the artifact worse than ATW because I got to learn how to deal with predictable and steady ATW artifact after months of playing, while periodic and unpredictable ASW artifacts messes with my brain.. I guess it could be learnt to deal with as well given enough time.

I'm going to wait and see what Oculus does with ASW and W7. I don't find it in good taste to back door upping the minimum OS requirements with an enhancement that actually makes the hardware requirements lower.

I hear you. But in all honesty, W10 is pretty damn good. I place it right here with DOS 5, Windows 2K (was that what it was called?), and Win7.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

After playing with ASW with different settings I found that it works wonders if your original frame rate is above 45. If you are below 45, it causes frame burst effects every second. In the latter case, I find the artifact worse than ATW because I got to learn how to deal with predictable and steady ATW artifact after months of playing, while periodic and unpredictable ASW artifacts messes with my brain.. I guess it could be learnt to deal with as well given enough time.

Ah, I see. I never go below 45 FPS so I haven't seen what others are talking about. Except when I crash and there is a fireball. Then I see some judder/weirdness. But I chalked it up to a bug. I'll try to keep an eye out for FPS.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

What does your dcs fps counter say with asw enabled? The readout is quite low on my end. 22fps, but quite smooth experience. I tend to thing the readout does not work when asw is active.

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз

What does your dcs fps counter say with asw enabled? The readout is quite low on my end. 22fps, but quite smooth experience. I tend to thing the readout does not work when asw is active.

With it enabled,I use CTRL+NUM PAD 3 I never go below 45 FPS but it does go as high as 56 FPS.

Patrick

mini.gif

To see if it's working bring up your frame rate monitor (RCtrl and Pause/Break). When it's active you should be locked at 45fps.

After updating from Windows 7 I just had a few flights and find that over downtown Vegas I'm dipping below the 45fps threshold a bit which is very uncomfortable. I need to find the sweet spot with settings. I have flat shadows at medium which were off before. Looks like they may have to go off again. I also need to OC my GPU back to where it was before upgrading to windows10 and also stress test my CPU OC as I just had my first PC crash (Kernel error) while using my old overclock!

While locked at 45fps the experience was very comfortable. Not hugely different to what it was like at 90fps before except my graphics settings are now higher of course.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Anybody else having wobbling effects with ASW on? The frame update rate seems to go up to 45 as it should in heavy graphics (Vegas for example), but frames update in bursts and they are not uniform. So objects don't flow smoothly, they wobble.. I don't mind the standard ASW effects such as ghosts etc. but wobbling makes it even with how it was before.. I tried updating my graphics card drivers but it didn't help.. I also tried to turn on/off VSYNC and fullscreen. I also maximized/minimized DCS window to no effect. Any experiences?

Definitely seeing a wobble (like ripples) in the hud on a few occasions .. seems to be when the sun is in the hud.

I just can't see any difference at all. How woudl you even know its having an effect?

Do the Vegas tour instant mission. When you get to the hotels (Tropicana or Miraage) look at the hotels on the right. W/O ASW, you will see judder. With ASW, smooth. But again, I'm doing this in HIGH visual settings.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Is ASW implemented yet by Oculus runtime, or do you still have to manually enable it (numpad 3)?

You have to manually enable it.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Ok: Here's my question about ASW...can someone kindly let me know if ASW is working and what happens? I upgraded my i7-3820/GTX780 box to Win10 and have DCS, Oculus Home and all the other doodads installed and am using the retired-but-no-reactivated DK2 with it.

When I run DCS and get into the bird I cannot tell if ASW is working or not. I hit CTRL+NP3 and then activate DCS's fame counter. I still see that the frame rates remain at 75fps; I'm guessing that the frames should go to 45. Is this the case?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare