Operation "Blue Flag" - 24/7 PvP Campaign - ROUND 9

gregzagk

I agree that the magic F10 option is kinda meh.

But probably removing that would make an entry for not so experienced and actually some half seasoned players kinda hard which is not really something to strive for.

Edited by microvax

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

Haven't had a chance to play recently but from the last few pages it seems Ciribob has done a really good job with the recent changes. Nice job man.

A few that stand out for me:

• No fuel start on Fighters

This is great to ease the fighter spam and promote the use of other aircraft especially interceptors. (Hopefully we see more F-5's and 21's being flown)

• DataLink for 27's / D2M removed

Good gameplay changes. Russian's SA is rough compared to F-15/Mirage. Having DL enabled puts the 27 on par and really makes her shine. I love the Mirage and I'm fine with D2M going away because for one it's a realistic move and two, it was an easy counter to current Russian missiles.

• Mistrals

I know a lot of people have been asking for them so I'm glad they've been added. I'm scared of flying on the deck now haha.

--

I hope we get more updates in the future with realism in mind but regardless I'm glad with how it is now. Solid stuff bob.

For ease - Moltar help can explain from last year as he did a good post on it :)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2873572&postcount=872

Reduced Fuel is also to reduce fighter spam, and nudge people to use the actual quick reaction fighters (mig21 / F5e) as already said above for quick defence.

It also doesnt affect all aircraft - only dedicated fighters.

I think parking hot start MiG-21s and F-5s would further serve this purpose. They would still need to load stores, taxi, and takeoff. This may be a bit too quick for the desired purpose; however, with cold start, I can almost get up in the same time with a F-15 (difference is very marginal).

I like alpenwolf's approach.

The lack of F10 magic would encourage people to communicate more with the forward aircontroller on TS/Srs which would always help

I'd like that, but does it reduce the entry for newer pilots? Maybe removing magic F10 in conjunction with someone creating a how to on navigation?

Debrief is as follows:

Real men drive the F-5

F-5s shall be put on both sides (Red side painted black "MiG-28" scheme) so both sides can have real men.

Anyone not driving the F-5 regularly will be put in a remedial training program to learn about how cool the F-5 is.

Anyone voicing dissent with the above shall be put in a focused remediation program to fix their wayward thinking.

:lol:

LOOK MA, NO HOOK

Operation "Blue Flag" - 24/7 PvP Campaign - ROUND 9

Guys. I fly in the real world... planes built in the 60s. Even they have GPS.

The all knowing magical f10 map is pretty standard today. Hell, with foreflight on both my iPad and my iPhone, I don't even need the Garmin 430 that's installed to fly by VFR.

I think you'd alienate a lot of people by removing the f10 map, but there is only one way to find out and I'd be up for trying it to see what happens.

TJ

Edit: this did make me chuckle though. This was taken at the Jesse James Airshow today in Excelsior Springs Mo USA. All those fancy gadgets in the cockpit and the pilot still preferred the paper charts. He was a lot of fun to talk to but after I started asking questions about mark points and maverick engagement he told me politely that the conversation had gone off limits.

Double edit: the maps got washed out :( But I promise, they were standard vfr sectionals clipped to the side of the windshield.

93e2a114b1681b29f7b6bdf599b000e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tj1376

The all knowing magical f10 map is pretty standard today. Hell, with foreflight on both my iPad and my iPhone, I don't even need the Garmin 430 that's installed to fly by VFR.

I think you'd alienate a lot of people by removing the f10 map, but there is only one way to find out and I'd be up for trying it to see what happens.

TJ

In addition to removing the magical F10, I don't know if it's a limitation of the game or if it's possible, it would also be nice if you could not see where the enemy teams players were taking off from.

TJ

Edit: this did make me chuckle though. This was taken at the Jesse James Airshow today in Excelsior Springs Mo USA. All those fancy gadgets in the cockpit and the pilot still preferred the paper charts. He was a lot of fun to talk to but after I started asking questions about mark points and maverick engagement he told me politely that the conversation had gone off limits.

Double edit: the maps got washed out :( But I promise, they were standard vfr sectionals clipped to the side of the windshield.

93e2a114b1681b29f7b6bdf599b000e1.jpg

Great point. Never thought about how incorporated GPS has become.

In addition to removing the magical F10, I don't know if it's a limitation of the game or if it's possible, it would also be nice if you could not see where the enemy teams players were taking off from.

Was seeing takeoffs of other players in chat readded or was it a mistake?

He's talking about looking at the slots list when you select "choose slot."

I was accused, rather vociferously, of exploiting that feature a couple nights ago when I shot down four helicopters attacking Oni FARP.

Funny thing is, a Red Su25T had just attacked the FARP when I was flying my F-5, so I went over there after seeing the "Oni FARP is under attack" message. Shot down the Frogfoot, and then went helo hunting, because who attacks a FARP without a helo around? That's when my AIM9s discovered the Ka-50, and shortly thereafter, saw the two Mi8s sitting in the open on a nice patch of grass by the river.

Oh the cursing that ensued, lol. It was a good day for the Tiger.

I was accused, rather vociferously, of exploiting that feature a couple nights ago when I shot down four helicopters attacking Oni FARP.

Funny thing is, a Red Su25T had just attacked the FARP when I was flying my F-5, so I went over there after seeing the "Oni FARP is under attack" message. Shot down the Frogfoot, and then went helo hunting, because who attacks a FARP without a helo around? That's when my AIM9s discovered the Ka-50, and shortly thereafter, saw the two Mi8s sitting in the open on a nice patch of grass by the river.

That makes more sense. I don't know that there is a way around that though.

Good job on the hunting. Even thought you're blue it's good to see the F 5 doing well.

No F10 map would rock!! Only problem is FC3 planes are to limited to navagaite without it. Just because cessnas fly with garmins doesn't mean all modern planes have gps. Chances are your commercial flights dont have a moving map gps. I have flown many planes with FMS (collins, UNS) that have gps built in but the moving map is only VORs and NDBs and airports.

I think the average sim player would be lost trying to navigate by pilotage, dead wreckening or tacan navagation. It adds another level to the mission though. Personally I would love it but its been said before it wont be added to BF. I totally understand why.

It would be nice if the farps had radio becons added with ctld. I have used that feature in some of my mp chopper missions. It works great!

Thats my first thought but them again portable moving map systems weren't a thing in the '80s. I think GPS was just a co-ordinate and your aircraft was your finger on a map. :)

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Lots of rage quits that night :)

***HEY LOOK HERE***

Thats my first thought but them again portable moving map systems weren't a thing in the '80s. I think GPS was just a co-ordinate and your aircraft was your finger on a map. :)

https://youtu.be/-EQqfxiGgd8?t=612

AFAIK the system basically was taken over from the TSR2 project.

Later variants got GPS as a additional source of location reference to the system

Edited by microvax

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

If you have the GPS system (Thats how I think of the F10 map) enabled, you might as well enable AMRAMMS and the R-77. I mean the GPS system is basically even newer technology than those missiles.

It would fit the early 80s scenario better if the map marker was removed. Want to navigate? Use your INS, or whatever you have in the plane. Failing that, look out the window and look for landmarks. :)

As for the numerical advantage I fully support the idea that an AI CAP should spawn whenever one side is at a serious numerical disadvantage. (Up to the admins to test what that number would be).

The CAP should be 2x Mig31s for RED armed with R-33s and 2x F14B for Blue armed with the Phoenix. Anything less than that would probably fly low and go after helicopters and the like but these high flyers would put the fear of God/Marx into those Imperialist/Communist swine. ;)

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I though the kneeboard only gave positions of the waypoints on your flight plan

Well, you can plot your current location on those kneeboard maps (right-ctrl + K), but usually those maps only cover limited area (based on your flightplan). So it's usefulness as magic GPS is limited. It gives you a overview map centered on your first waypoint. And "zoomed" maps arround your waypoints.

*edit*

just did a quick test. One image shows 2 pages from the board with 3 waypoints in the batumi area. The other one has the 3 waypoints spread to the corners of the map. The "arrow" shapes on the flight line, are the plotted aircraft position (right-control+K)

testLimited.thumb.jpg.3ce5b1fb35a21d332a5098e4cc3ad411.jpg

testExtended.thumb.jpg.5b6bc50e6eeb1d949a1bf5570891fa1b.jpg

Edited by CrashO