Operation "Blue Flag" - 24/7 PvP Campaign - ROUND 9

gregzagk

spotting in dcs is a problem and in real life u would see targets better at least thats what real life pilots said in numerous other threads on this topic, and its legit to spot a chopper on the deck in desert because it stands out.

blue flag is all about teamwork so flying a chopper alone without your team in harms way is gonna be a problem. besides being able to not spot them with the eye is also no solution.

flying over nevada itself spotting targets without labels is just a nightmare too. ive never been shot down by r3r´s hence i get a warning on my rwr and i dont even bother taken with chaffs because theres so limited cm space on the f5. there not realy good missiles are they?

im sorry the labels look shit in vr but most people still use a normal screen.

I'd be happy if the labels were toned down a bit, like Dino is saying, you can not really hide at all. I'm in VR and even though I need even more help spotting things than screen-people, I feel that spotting targets are far too easy now. It is ok in WWII because everyone is on the same footing there but in this server the slow planes and helos are completely helpless once they're spotted and spotting them is super easy. You can tell they're being hampered by the fact that the map has been completely static for a number of days now.

I have no experience on how works a Mig 21 Radar. I have experience on how works a 60s 70s non doppler western radar. The latest isnt much effective in search mode without being coordinated by a GCI.

About spotting i have good experience as combat ready pilot with 11 on 10 visus (when i was young :smilewink:) and , in my very personal humble opinion, spotting the way is simulated in this server is not perfect, but much more close to reality than witout dot label. In a CAVOC enviroment , like the one we have on this server, spotting is quite easy. If u know where to look U can spot any flying mover already from more than 15 miles (something big like an F15 more far). From 5 to 7 miles u can easily spot almost everything. U can visually ID it already at 3 miles. Over a flat ground without trees or obstacles, spotting

a helo from ebove is really very very easy. Thats why a safe inserction end extration of people and stuffs in such enviroment is done during night or when U have air superiority over the area.

Anyway, in this server i have much more fun than in all other server that use no spotting mods. Here i can finally have challanging air combats and not just hide and seek games :smilewink::pilotfly:

• Like 1

I have the exact opposite opinion to lemon.

Its great that at least some servers use these lables, since there is quite a large amount of ppl arguing for it being more realistic, including me. Its a good workaround for the current pixel and PD problem in VR.

Regarding the R3R, I dont even load them any more. That should clarify what I think of them.

The radar isen't exactly a the most advanced. Im going and guessing with what someone else wrote, more of a weapon delivery system. Also to make it a night/day all-weather intercept capable.

"Hard to imagine bigger engine. its got a beautiful face and an arse built like sputnik." - Pikey AKA The Poet, on 37 Viggen.

It's great that this is all your own personal experience, but real scientific studies don't support your position for the average case.

The APQ-159 was built specifically to aid in search as well, and while it's no modern radar, it as very specific BVR detection capability.

Spotting aircraft at '15nm if you know where to look' is all fine and dandy, but with labels (and today's in-game visibility with dots visible out to 30nm) you don't need to know where to look.

Anyway, in this server i have much more fun than in all other server that use no spotting mods. Here i can finally have challanging air combats and not just hide and seek games :smilewink::pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

It's great that this is all your own personal experience, but real scientific studies don't support your position for the average case.

The APQ-159 was built specifically to aid in search as well, and while it's no modern radar, it as very specific BVR detection capability.

Spotting aircraft at '15nm if you know where to look' is all fine and dandy, but with labels (and today's in-game visibility with dots visible out to 30nm) you don't need to know where to look.

I bend to science then :worthy:

@GGTharos i never spot targets at 30nm, make it half but most of the time its even less. did u ever play on the nevada server ? never saw you. the f 5 radar is useless in the game.

@ lemeon you cant sneak up on targets easy but most of my kills are kinda suprise attacks or i get spotted just when im ready to fire. Most of the time i get killed like that too... use the pilots dead zones to get closer, thats what u would do in real life too and not use the poor visibility and go for a head on sneak attack:) i wouldnt mind making them a tad brighter tho.

not capping airfield is mostly bad team tactics. if you have everyone on coms and you have air superiority youll bring that helo in safely for the taking.

Edited by rogonaut

But that's also not to say you're wrong. The 2-5nm spotting area in game is worse than in RL. There are a lot of contributing factors to this - resolution, pixel size, monitor size ... etc.

I bend to science then :worthy:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

@GGTharos i never spot targets at 30nm, make it half but most of the time its even less. did u ever play on the nevada server ? never saw you. the f 5 radar is useless in the game.

Do I have to play on the NTTR server? What's the problem, I can't test this out on my own or with another group? :)

I see targets up to 30nm away easy. Certainly beyond 15nm all the time. It's a matter of graphics settings among other things.

As for the radar, it's fine - it performs like the documents say it should perform, and in certain circumstances (low altitude) it will detect things well inside WVR range.

But go higher up and you can pick fighters up BVR.

@ lemeon you cant sneak up on targets easy but most of my kills are kinda suprise attacks or i get spotted just when im ready to fire. Most of the time i get killed like that too... use the pilots dead zones to get closer, thats what u would do in real life too and not use the poor visibility and go for a head on sneak attack:) i wouldnt mind making them a tad brighter tho.

Real pilots are typically not stuck in their HUD. Virtual pilots on the other hand are just the opposite.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can live with the labels/spotting. I'm not even sure if they are working for me (I have labels turned off in options), and my spotting distance hasn't really changed significantly, in part because of graphics and a projector on a huge wall screen helping me out. The F5s are indeed a bit tougher to spot than the MiGs, but they're close enough that I feel on relatively even footing in either one.

Missile-wise, the F-5 has a slight advantage if he defends well against the R-3R. That thing is a dog and can't track worth a darn, but it does force the F-5 to maneuver when head-on and can give the MiG an ever so slight advantage at the merge (not that I know how to use it).

I appreciate that a helo flying across monocolor desert should be relatively easy to spot, but at more than 10 miles? That seems a bit much. I checked again last night and could see my own team's helo at closer to 15. That may very well be realistic, because I'm no pilot and am just used to a nice clear vis day giving me 10 miles out to the horizon, and even without much haze having a tough time spotting some ships at that distance. Given the helicopter's relative size, it's a bit jarring to see one from so far out. Suicide take-off and book it straight to intercept helos may end up being the ideal tactic for defense if overwhelmed, because it just takes one pass, and if the attacker's CAP isn't on the ball to get you right as you take off, he may not get you in time.

cold war birds thrown in there too maybe?? :)

Yes, that would be a nice idea. They have the potential of taking out bombers and other attack planes. It would also bring some more modules into the round.

Maybe we could get a T51 or other WW2 planes as recon/ aircraft, to give some more players the option to call bombers. Although i admit putting a T51 on both sides will make the IFF pretty hard and they dont really fit into the area of planes currently available.

The implementation of the viggen could be a nice addition although it might throw the balance a bit off compared to the 25. Im not sure how those 2 planes compare with guided ammunitions but the maverick seems vastly superior compared to the guided weapons of the 25. All in all she would fit in nicely with maybe some tweaks to weapon loadouts and availability.

Pls reset. Map blue ;)

We had great fun last night over Creech, I really love this scenario. I hope we will get some more rounds with this scenario on NTTR :)

I also hope this scenario will stay there until the merge (or returns to 1.5).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Congratulations BLUE!

That was an amazing push as there were points where it all looked like it would go Red.

Map Reset - Sides reset

Viggen will be added but probably not till next week as I'm away from tomorrow

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Blue for the WIN

Awesome job everyone working yesterday to push the blue team over the hump and into victory. Could not have been done with out some nice teamwork. Here are a few shots of the last survivors that grinded it all out til the end. Sorry if i mess up or forgot some of your names.

But what a great way to finish. From lingering F5 CAP/CAS support being able to move quickly to the repairing objectives while hueys could talk on the CAS and capture the base, to the impressive A10 formation gun runs and ground attacks.

Listed in the final picture of the Victors left to right

Rogonaut(his wingman was somewhere(sorry forgot ur callsign man), Lancer 1-1 or 2-1 (sorry forgot the actual names), WatchDog Comicalballoon in our AWACS/Recon hawk, WD Bert who ran out of fuel on the approach and can be seen on his side just behind the tail of the hawk and myself in the huey taking the screen shot. These were just a few names of many that helped, but these gents stuck it out to the very end until the job was finished! Congrats blue!

the other screens are just a few random ones i took throughout the course of round. From providing cap, delivering troops or hunting down Ciribob in his mi8 planting IGLAs everywhere;)

c Y'all on the next round!

Screen_170919_175004.thumb.jpg.7523872b2294f4c11265a9e9a8734e27.jpg

Screen_170919_144045.thumb.jpg.7f45bc19377ac40dc98817f21ec6a6df.jpg

Screen_170919_154412.thumb.jpg.779423162c99a661859ca53f1f25f83d.jpg

Screen_170918_114753.thumb.jpg.ca295c449b3f1fa1dd264b3e989f580c.jpg

Screen_170918_114613.thumb.jpg.e298041d56b73f08f0438681f2fa7974.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

multiplayer name ''DustOff=3=6''

Congratulations BLUE!

That was an amazing push as there were points where it all looked like it would go Red.

Map Reset - Sides reset

Viggen will be added but probably not till next week as I'm away from tomorrow

Guess I'm going to increase my hours in 2.1 and blue flag in a few days then. :)

Intel i7-7700K @ 5.1GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI

32 GB Corsair Vengeance @ 2666 Mhz (Stock 2400 Mhz), Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windfoce OC , PSU 650W Seasonic

EK Watercooling (Open loop)

Windows 10 Pro x64

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + MFG Crosswind + Thrustmaster MFD