F10 view in servers

Guest Cali

F10 view in servers  

89 members have voted

1. 1. F10 view in servers

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe (please explain)

Should servers disable F10 Map view? Please explain your choice if you can so everyone gets all the info including **rookies/noobs**

I dont use F10, but some people might. Even though you can't see any aircraft just the map.

A squad in a star system many many moons ago was acussed of cheating using F10 view. Saying that they had someone log in to the server looking and vectoring friendly aircraft to enemy aircraft.

Also don't we have a ATC mod?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

course it's a CHEAT at FR settimgs

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

летаю на заказ, дорого...

"The FlankerForce"© -=приостановлено=-

Лучшее средство завоевания господства в воздухе - танк посередине ВПП © не установлено

АХТУНГ! эксперды атакуют!

Только отсутствие разведанных запасов нефти в Антарктиде, удерживает пингвинов от демократии.

Should servers disable F10 Map view? Please explain your choice if you can so everyone gets all the info including **rookies/noobs**

I dont use F10, but some people might. Even though you can't see any aircraft just the map.

A squad in a star system many many moons ago was acussed of cheating using F10 view. Saying that they had someone log in to the server looking and vectoring friendly aircraft to enemy aircraft.

Also don't we have a ATC mod?

It's great to have a map available when you end up jumping into a mission where you don't know the area by heart. While the map in the game is limited in size and a lot of you fly in the same area and have come to know it quite well, it would be a nice addition for some. Think of when people ask your position and you say "i'm X west of sochi-adler", and they say "wtf mate?". Also, while they guys who fly the russian birds can get vector themselves to any airfield they like, the us guys are only able to get a heading to home plate. In a sense, this would even the score. In the end, it's up to the server and doesn't make a huge difference one way or the other.

course it's a CHEAT at FR settimgs

I take it you've never seen a map? :D

F10 is a very poor cousin to the nav system we're getting in LOBS for the 'car fifty' & I assume the nav systems in any of the planes that will modelled in LO in its future incarnations.

If the pilot having a map is unrealistic, they should NEVER be on the servers - or in the game.

Of course if in reality the pilot has way more navigation information available than in game - F10 should probably be enabled.

Cheers.

The IL2 mini-mapping is the best

You can have the options to:

1) show all planes and the map

2) show only your side with waypoints for the Player on top of the map

3) show only the Player with waypoints on the map

4) Show only the Player but with no Waypoints but you can navigate by using the map

ZoomBoy

My Flight Sims Page

- Link to My Blog - Sims and Things - DCS Stuff++

- Up-to-Speed Guides to the old Lockon A10A and Su-25T

- Some missions [needs update]

I'd definately like to see map view as long as I didn't see anyone else on it, just myself. When I fly IRL my map is the top sheet on my kneepad and I'm always referencing it. Map view isn't entirely realistic however it almost makes up for not being able to look at a knee map.

3Sqn - Largest distributor of Flanker, Fulcrum and Frogfoot parts in the Black Sea Region

What do you guys think about someone logging into the server to use it as a cheat. That is what someone has said, and have ask us to turn the map off in our server.

As I said before I don't uset the map, cause I have kneepad maps for both NATO and Russian jets.

What do you guys think about someone logging into the server to use it as a cheat. That is what someone has said, and have ask us to turn the map off in our server.

Do you mean that someone can join the server as a spectator and, if F10 view only has "own plane" enabled, still see all aircraft?

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

No one here has grasped the problem.

Enabling the map view with absolutely NO ICONS at all means:

Clicking FLY as an OBSERVER gives you all information. You see EVERYTHING!

The other problem is The DEDICATED SERVER can see EVERYTHING.

Switching off Map View (F10) removes any possiblility of clients or Hosts exploiting this feature.

Leaving the map view on with NO ICONS serves no purpose. Its just a map. Anyone can print a map and use that just as effectively.

No one here has grasped the problem.

Enabling the map view with absolutely NO ICONS at all means:

Clicking FLY as an OBSERVER gives you all information. You see EVERYTHING!

The other problem is The DEDICATED SERVER can see EVERYTHING.

Switching off Map View (F10) removes any possiblility of clients or Hosts exploiting this feature.

Leaving the map view on with NO ICONS serves no purpose. Its just a map. Anyone can print a map and use that just as effectively.

So now what do you guys think, I still don't care what the server does. If you see someone join a game and their name stays white then you know what they could be doing. To me it's kinda like AWACS, which some servers have anyway. I know the US always as a AWACS up in the air during fighting. So why do most servers not have it? I'm use to flying with No AWACS and NO EWR's so I don't care either way.

Just want to here the voices of the fliers in here. Single player doesn't count :P just multiplayer.

If you see someone join a game and their name stays white then you know what they could be doing. To me it's kinda like AWACS, which some servers have anyway

GODMODE :) must be turned off

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

летаю на заказ, дорого...

"The FlankerForce"© -=приостановлено=-

Лучшее средство завоевания господства в воздухе - танк посередине ВПП © не установлено

АХТУНГ! эксперды атакуют!

Только отсутствие разведанных запасов нефти в Антарктиде, удерживает пингвинов от демократии.

...Enabling the map view with absolutely NO ICONS at all means:

Clicking FLY as an OBSERVER gives you all information. You see EVERYTHING!...

WOW! Talk about a giant hole for cheating. Hadn't realized this. I've always thought that regardless of your status on the server, you could only see what was enabled. That makes quite a difference. Turning it on enables cheating (of one type). Keeping F10 off blocks that particular path.

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

im brand new to lock on and one of the reasons i dont play online is the fact i never know where i am. i like the il2 map where it shows your plane, friendly airfields and the front lines (dont think lock on has these?) this gives me the chance to search for the enemy or if they find me escape to friendlier skies. I dont knwo abotu all this cheating using the map but once they have noted ur location wont it of changed by time they are in the skies?

Why not just use your HSI to navigate? It's easy, just make sure to go to nav mode.

For example before flying in the mission measure a few distances and directions from your home base or a convenient waypoint - when you need to know where you are, go to nav mode and check your HSI after setting it to the appropriate waypoint.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I haven't tried it out for myself, maybe I'll see today. And like GGTharos said use your HSI. In the Russian jets this is very easy to do, the US jets are a little harder to learn.

I spose someone COULD use it as a cheat...but who wants to sit there being an awacs for their side? F that I say. The only people organised enough to do that are squads, and squads are the least likely to cheat IMO. I think it's unlikely to be exploited effectively, and at the end of the day it's up to the person footing the bill for the server right?

I actually wish I could see something different in the Air-Air servers from time to time, ie night missions, limited loadout missions (SARH only) poor weather (don't winge about FPS just get the fast overcast mod or dont join the server). But everyone is entitled to their opinion...

...as invalid as they may be... :-D

3Sqn - Largest distributor of Flanker, Fulcrum and Frogfoot parts in the Black Sea Region

I spose someone COULD use it as a cheat...but who wants to sit there being an awacs for their side? F that I say. The only people organised enough to do that are squads, and squads are the least likely to cheat IMO. I think it's unlikely to be exploited effectively. But everyone is entitled to their opinion...

...as invalid as they may be... :-D

I'd hate to be the one stuck watching everyone else have fun. Like I said some people do use the ATC mod. It is sad that we have cheaters, it's a GAME people. It is suppose to be fun.

I've had people who loved to play ATC, but unfortunately we couldn't make that widely available when running our server simply due to the permissions settings on the 'affected' exports. A lot of us enjoyed having an AWACS, but now we can only use it in private sessions.

In any case, personally I don't even care if people cheat - it might get them on our flanks here and there, but a little extra vigilance will fix the issue - like a crank to scan for 30 sec, then a formation rejoin. Big deal.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Personally, I've never used map view since I find it so cartoonish to begin with and I consider it somewhat of a cheat. It is much more run and real IMHO to utilize the HSI for naviagational purposes. It makes it much more of a challenge for me.

Usually what I do is when I'm in for some serious flying, I go up on the server I will fly. Read the brief. Look over map. Take a screenshot of map. Make note of the mission goals, waypoint objectives, airfield locations etc. Print this stuff out place within eye view from my monitor. This can be simulated as my "kneepad" in the cockpit. :smilewink: Then, back in mission, configure loadout and get airborne. Let's say I want to come into the combat area from a different direction than directly on waypoint. I'll make the calculations from one waypoint which I will designate as my "bullseye" and fly to it using the HSI and in cockpit clock, Always of course looking for geographical references if visual conditions permit. It really makes you work and keep track of SA in game. I find it much more fun to fly this way. LOMAC may not have everything implemented with respect to navigation tools in cockpit but you can still do some interesting navigation with the tools we do have.

Just my two cents.:pilotfly:

Considering that real pilots have maps, GPS etc then for realism I would say Map view with at least your own aircraft displayed is the most realistic and there are probably good arguments for having all friendly aircraft on there as well especially when considering the IFF limitations of the F15. However if this can lead to cheating then I would say if there’s an admin present turn it on but if no admin is online then leave it off.

As has already been mentioned IL2 has the best map view I’ve seen for a combat sim .. I was playing online last night and a bomber calls in that he needs assistants in Grid “C3” so all of the airborne fighters start out in pursuit. I wish we could have something like that for LO with the frontline lines being shown as well.

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

im brand new to lock on and one of the reasons i dont play online is the fact i never know where i am. i like the il2 map where it shows your plane, friendly airfields and the front lines (dont think lock on has these?) this gives me the chance to search for the enemy or if they find me escape to friendlier skies. I dont knwo abotu all this cheating using the map but once they have noted ur location wont it of changed by time they are in the skies?

See my first post, and download these.

Theatre Maps.