Newbie question about system requirements

mwr

I want to use the P-51 sim. The minimum system requirements are:

OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i3; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: 2 GB RAM card, DirectX11

My computer meets them except possibly the CPU. Mine is Intel Xeon E550 @ 2.53GHz 2.53GHz. Will that work?

I suspect you will have issues but, the base sim is free and comes with the TF-51, an unarmed version of the P-51. I would download it and give it a shot.

DL here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/stable/

Keep in mind that those are the minimum specs and you will not be able to turn up the eye candy at all with that hardware.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Then the free version will give you all of that. Plus it also includes a nice Russian CAS jet.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks once more. It's downloading right now. What flight controls would you recommend?

- Including rudder pedals for best sim realism.

- Without rudder pedals for simplicity. Does the P-51 (TF-51) sim have a mode that doesn't require us of the rudder?

On main menu under Options / Special /TF-51 you will find an Auto Rudder option. For most planes you can get away without rudder pedals although rudder is more useful in prop planes. Aside from taxiing I hardly ever use rudder in planes. Try just using keybd or assign a couple of buttons to stick or throttle.

Edited by cthulhu68

Thanks, that would be a useful option.

Back to flight controls... Do any have three-axis trim, which I assume would be needed for flying the P-51 (only two-axis trim needed using Auto Rudder)?

You need 3 axis (4 if rudder used). UP/DOWN + LEFT/RIGHT + Throttle.

Throttle can be used by using the keyboard, but I didn't like it.

Trim is only for your flight controls so 2. The old Microsoft sidewinder FB is great for basic flying. It has a hatswitch which can be assigned to your trim.

In the P-51 you can also use your mouse to rotate the trimcontrols in the plane.

Edited by probaco

That auto rudder just assists. Even with that youll still need to set 5deg right rudder trim to takeoff or you,ll barrel roll into the ground as soon as you lift-off. Theres a dial in cockpit that you can set before takeoff and reset once youre up and stable. Aside from this 2 axis trimming is all you need.

As an example I have CH Products stick and throttle. On stick I have nose up/down and l/r wing trim set up on trim 8way and on throttle I have L/R rudder trim and all trim reset set up on similar 8way switch

Edited by cthulhu68

DCS is installed with two aircraft modules, the TF-51D and Su-25T. But when I click on "Training", only the Su-25T module appears and is available for training. How do I get the TF-51D to be available for training?