Has anyone interfaced a real pilot helmet with DCS?

I have a SPH-4 helmet with a mic that should be arriving early next week and I was wondering if it would be possible to make it work with Teamspeak/DCS? Has anyone tried this? The mic has a standard 3.5mm jack similar to what you would find in a guitar cable. I know it's a little over the top to flying with a helmet but I'm currently building a Huey cockpit and a helmet will help add to the whole immersion experience.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's not for the faint hearted, but it can be done

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=145039

My recommendation would be to install the parts from a PC headset into the helmet, then you will have stereo and a decent Mic sound. It just depends on how much you care about keeping the helmet 'original'. I have not done this myself, just researched it a little.

Edited by Rangi

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

It's not for the faint hearted, but it can be done

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=145039

My recommendation would be to install the parts from a PC headset into the helmet, then you will have stereo and a decent Mic sound. It just depends on how much you care about keeping the helmet 'original'. I have not done this myself, just researched it a little.

Thanks for the assistance! It looks like they sale adapters that are pretty much plug n play that should work just fine. The only unknown would be the quality of the headset in a helmet that was made 40+ years ago lol. I have a extra logitech headset I might take a look at and like you said..install the parts from that. Should be a fun project!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have researched this some time ago.

The mic is not compatible with PC ones so it needs to be replaced or maybe one of above converters will work.

The is also a problem with headset, they are designed for voice only in loud environment, they are completely useless for anything else.

Saying that, if you can mode the helmet it will be an awesome addition to your pit!

Although I haven't attempted a conversion of a military helmet for computer use, I think you might also need to add an in-line amplifier for the military mic. I've converted lots of them for civilian aircraft use...just not sure computer audio is the same.

If that turns out to be the case, here's a good source for getting one.

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-294223/Pa101-Amplifier-With-Microphone-Cord.html

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

thanks for the awesome input gents! my helmet arrived early and it looks like the most cost effective route is to take my old logitech g35 headset and tear it down to make it work with the helmet. I should be able to isolate the speakers and mic to make it work without having to remove any of the original parts of the helmet. The ear cups are fairly deep so I dont think it would be too hard to make everything fit. If for some reason things dont work out.... I'll have an awesome piece to display in the mancave!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's plenty of adapter from military to civilian, then from civilian to PC. I got two SPH-4 that work great in DCS, although it's not as comfortable as a gaming headset. I had my russian Zh-5 working too in DCS. Still we adapter I bought on the internet. No soldering or anything. But I can't find an adapter for my Zh-7. And I can not find anywhere the wiring.

There's plenty of adapter from military to civilian, then from civilian to PC. I got two SPH-4 that work great in DCS, although it's not as comfortable as a gaming headset. I had my russian Zh-5 working too in DCS. Still we adapter I bought on the internet. No soldering or anything. But I can't find an adapter for my Zh-7. And I can not find anywhere the wiring.

Do you get stereo in the sph-4 or just mono?

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.