which arduino board

frogger

hi all , im wanting to buy some arduino boards but im so confused by the vast amount that are avaliable.

i want to be able to setup toggle switches , rotary encoders and led indicators as well as potentiometers for axis control. if someone could recommend a nice cheap board that would be great thanks.

i see alot of boards on ebay for under $10 but not sure if they are the right kind of thing

You understand he talks about arduino knock off parts that are cheap to start with? This thing is 29.99GBP.

I am interested to experiment with building my won switch/trim board too. I dont want to throw 80EUR for something that I most likely short circuit the first time I will fool around with it. And 80EUR can be used to buy a ready product so yeah. What is a good arduino to build on?

Example:

first option 20 toggle switches

second option 12 toggle switches 3 sliders

third option 20 toggle switches 3 sliders 3 turn nobs 1 directional hat

hi all , im wanting to buy some arduino boards but im so confused by the vast amount that are avaliable.

i want to be able to setup toggle switches , rotary encoders and led indicators as well as potentiometers for axis control. if someone could recommend a nice cheap board that would be great thanks.

i see alot of boards on ebay for under $10 but not sure if they are the right kind of thing

If at first you can agree with only having inputs (buttons, encoders,...) to DCS start with a Mega2560 and this project: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=117011

The hardest (and tedious) part will be building the matrix if you want to use all inputs.

Another approach would be to use [FSF]Ian's DCS BIOS and - as well - a Mega2560.

On that approach you'll have in a first step less inputs but here you can build outputs from DCS (LEDs) very straight forward with the same board.

For DCS-BIOS, you can't go wrong with a Nano or a Mega 2560, since those are the two boards I use for development. Anything else with the same microcontroller (ATMega328 or ATMega2560) will work just as well, for example the Uno or Pro Mini.

Avoid boards with different microcontrollers (Leonardo, Due, etc) unless you have a specific reason, as they are not supported in IRQ_SERIAL or RS485_SLAVE mode. They will need to use the inefficient DEFAULT_SERIAL mode, which can lead to problems.

My recommendation would be the Nano, which is about $2.20 for the board (remember to add a $0.80 USB cable; most Nanos use Mini-USB, but I have seen some sellers offer a Micro-USB variant). I prefer the Nano over the Mega because I can just stick it on a breadboard.