Training flight

EricJ

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good show. The canards really make the aircraft look fierce with that skin. Just curious, how do you get that radar dampening tint on the cockpit glass, is that part of the skin? Also, for me the cockpit never has any sun glint off it from external view, wondering if that's a skin thing or what? I use walmis's f-15 model/skin and I never see it.

Thanks :), I use some modded textures taken from the F-16 canopy and used a hex editor to use the textures just for the Su-33. As for the lighting? I have it set for "all planar" or just that I have a good video card.

And it reminded me of something else too:

cockpit.jpg

LOMAC Section| | Gaming Resume (PDF) | Gallery | Flanker2.51 Storage Site |

Also known as Flanker562 back in the day...

Steam ID EricJ562 | DCS: A-10A/C Pilot | DCS: Su-25T Pilot | Texture Artist

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

Nice, is that supposed to show the skinned IR sight? pretty cool! Well, I noticed in your shots there is no obvious sun glint, but I've seen it in some other screenshots by other people, but I've never been able to reproduce it, even with full shadows. Might be an ATI thing (I use nvidia), not sure, I'll see if I can find it.

BTW, do you know any good sites that explain the file layout/structure for LOMAC? I'm just curious in understanding how the game accesses some stuff. I fooled around with LOMAN cdds browser but it's confusing how there are some textures in the cdds files and others in the temptextures folder. I also downloaded a transparent nomera.tga to get rid of numbers/stars but it only seems to affect the Su aircraft, so that confused me as well.

Actually it's supposed to show the internal tinting that I did :D If you look forward, and then to the left of the cockpit frame, you'll see it's not tinted, just compare that to a normal cockpit reflection (it's great for day missions, but night it makes it slightly difficult to see, but it's managable) and you'll notice the difference.

Well I got a lot of modded files from previous installations, mods, etc. I have to get back home and double check the files but the file should be modded. As for the file structure, the CDDS are the "master" textures of course. Generally they're programmed to accept a certain size, i.e. like... 512 x 512 with the original Su-33 textures for example. Unfortunately at the time I should have buckled down with 1024 x 1024 but that's a skeleton that slipped out of the closet. So the thing with the "TempTextures" folder is that you can substitute modded files while keeping your install "clean". I.e. for example, the skin size I'm comfortable with now is 1024 x 1024 so I can only (or any skin mods for that matter) put them in the TempTextures directory. The original 512 x 512 file is in there. The CDDS Browser will allow you to extract the files, and in some cases, insert new ones, given that the file you're inserting is the same resolution, i.e. 512 x 512 can only go in there for a 512 x 512 file. Plus it allows ED to sometimes replace jacked up textures (the original cockpit reflection file was just shatty) without always having to make another CDDS file for it. Or in most cases, it's a test area for some times, because as said, you can substitute without replacing the original files.

Oh yeah when using this procedure, you must HAVE THE EXACT FILENAME or it won't work. LOMAC sees the TempTexture at some point, and says "Okay, we'll use this texture in lieu of the original" And looking at the old 512 x 512 skins for the Su-33, again I'll at this point kick myself in the butt.

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

Ah, the tinting is more apparent once you pointed it out. Really need to get my head into this modding thing, seems a lot of cool stuff can be achieved. Thanks for that explanation, I figured as much. Anyway, here is an example of the cockpit glint I was talking about, looks like he has full shadows enabled:

ScreenShot_047.jpg

Yeah I really think it's dependent on your settings. I tend to go with some sort of "average" settings so I'm happy so far with the FPS I do get, which I honestly don't know, but no need to concern myself since as said, is good enough :D

This is where I do multiple passes on a MSTA, have to learn a better burst technique :)

flight377.jpg

flight378.jpg

flight379.jpg

flight380.jpg

flight381.jpg

flight382.jpg

flight383.jpg

flight384.jpg

flight447.jpg

flight448.jpg

flight449.jpg

flight450.jpg

flight451.jpg

Somebody once said that you need to fly 15,000ft in order to engage SAMs, and the question is, why?

flight452.jpg

Sometimes you're just in the mood to do spin recovery training...

flight453.jpg

flight454.jpg

flight455.jpg

Just a few for before my New Years happens, have a Happy one!