Effects the second FPS Killer ! (NVidia Cards)

Hawkeye

Today i testet the Lockon Engine a bit and i ever came to the same results ..

There's something wrong with the Effects in LockOn!

They need to much performance and there's not much differnt between Medium and High .. Low brings only a very less more performance.

System is

AMD 2800+

1GB Ram

6600GT

Good settings set and even more than 740MB free of memory for play Lockon

I heard some time again ATI Cards have no problems with the effects .. Why does NVida ?

I can't really fly trough smoke Frames go from 30> 20 > 7 > freeze..

When the smoke's behind me the frames go back to normal 30 -35

I use the standart Settings in Lockon 1.12

Looks like a Shader Problem too me

No i don't think that have much to do with polygons because ATI Cards doesn't have this problem i heard

Can someone Confirm this plz ?

I really hope ED will have a look on this before they release BS...

Please ED optimize the Perfomance as best as you can because thats one of the important things i think what should be done in this "final" Addon for Lockon.

Ps: don't forget the buggy R-77 Modell ;)

Ok mens have to sleep now see ya in the Skies then

what they really need to do is make LO adapt to duel core and take advantage on it, but that requires changing the entire game engine so i don't think that will happen in BS. So we probably have to wait for them to start on a new game engine from scratch.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It is NOT just limited to NVIDIA cards. Everyone gets this even with the most high end cards. You would be getting 120 FPS with everything maxed out, and the second you go through smoke or fire, or flares clump up together, your frames drop to the singles...but once you leave or look away, they jump up to the 100's. It is not a bug, I guess just poorly optimized or performance intensive shaders/smoke particles.

There are man FPS mods out there that simply remove the shaders from such effects like smoke and fire, and the improvement is drastic.

SU-30MKI

simvavatarhornetqg8.jpg

F/A-18F

...Beauty, grace, lethality.

How don't they work for you? They DO work. They simply remove all shaders from such effects, since shaders were the only thing causing the slowdowns when they were being rendered on your screen.

There are many different FPS mods that remove shaders for different individual things; perhaps you did not use the correct one.

SU-30MKI

simvavatarhornetqg8.jpg

F/A-18F

...Beauty, grace, lethality.

Hmm i don't want to play around with the Engine to hard because ever i try something like that i have to reinstall LockON :smartass:

But i do a Patch for myself next month and that means:

i buy some new hardware :)

AMD64 5000 X2

Geforce 7900GT 512MB

2GB Corsair DDR2 Ram

Asus Nforce 590 SLI Board

I think thats the best Patch ^^

This new system will surely be a big improvement over your current one, but don't expect to have found the Holy Grail with it. Dual-core makes no sense for Lock On.

And do you really want to get a GeForce 5900 or was that just a typo?

End of last year I bought a new "dream"-system, FX60, GeForce 7800 GTX 512, 2 Gig's of RAM...well, nice FPS most of the time, but still not possible to max out everything and constantly have a fluid gameplay. Also smoke and explosions still give a big FPS hit. And I'm afraid that Black Shark won't give us a performance improvement.

Yes thanks was a typo .. hmm you right it's not the holy grail .. but the FX60-62 isn't he too...

The new Intel CoreDuo is a big plus for LockOn but i'm a AMD user since a long time and i would'nt change to Intel because of LockOn

I *think* you might get the same effect if you just go into "Program Files\Ubisoft\Eagle Dynamics\Lock On\Bazar\Effects\RenderEffects\Shaders" and rename/remove the Flare.psh and FlareTrail.psh files, not sure, but worth a try.

Dont do this.

It will look for those files, and when it doesnt find them it will write to the Error.log.

And then you get lag from excessive HDD access. Thats what happened to me.

Also some of these mods make the flares look like sh*t. So it's a trade off, good FPS or crappy looking flares and who knows what else. Test the mods out, but I know the flare mod made them look bad. It also made the dust trail behind my jet when flying low look bad also.

P.S. Make sure you back up everything you do...

• 3 weeks later...
Nope. Real problem is - very huge amount of polygons using for smoke, clouds, and dust. It seems nobody know how reduce it. :(

LO is very CPU-limited game. :(

Yeah, I agree with you but I don't know LO is very CPU limited game. Clouds, dust and smoke are rendered by lots of polygons and they need a strong VGA card & strong CPU, hardly to gain fps by reducing polygons

the same for sea surface it's also stress VGA too much at High Water texture, an example is if you install the mod named "FPS overwater mod" you'll see the sea surface texture looks uglier than default texture but didn't improve any fps :pilotfly:

This is my pc:

- Asus P4P800

- P4 2.600@2.730 HT FSB 800

- 2x512 DDR 400 Dual Channel

- Asus 6800GT 256 DDR3

- Seagate 120 gygas Serial Ata

Well one year ago i have same pc as actual, except the graphic card, it was a Sapphire 9600XT 128 and it runs well. Now with the 6800GT 256, it´s incredible but i have same fps in lomac.

In shooters and cars games i have much more with new card.

I had a 4000+ and I wasn't that impressed with the performance jump from a 3.2 P4. That was over a year ago I made that upgrade. Last month I bought a E6700 Core Duo2 and right now LockOn runs fabulous. I can run just about everything maxed out except for vis range at MEDIUM and WATER at HIGH and I get min. 30 fps solid. Over the huge towns fps is 24-27fps. I'm finally happy with LockOn performance. It's hard to believe I started out with a P4 2.4 and Radeon 9800 and could barely run the game on MEDIUM to LOW settings and had to turn most all of the effects down to LOW.