Baffling boot problem

I wonder if anyone can offer some advice...

You can see my specs below.

I have recently started suffering from problems during boot up. Specifically, the MB does not even make it past POST before the on-board LED displays a "55" status, which according to the MB booklet means no memory installed.

After much swapping of components and head scratching, I found that I can cure the problem temporarily by powering down, removing one of the 2 memory modules and immediately plugging it back in again before booting again. Then all works fine. That is, until I've powered it all down, left it over night, then the same thing happens again.

All of my memory module tests have revealed no errors and the PC works fine once it's up and running. I can't imagine it's a problem caused by a dirty pin or socket because removing and replacing fixes the problem, temporarily, and why would it play up again later on?

It seems like completely powering down any residual current in the module is fixing the error but I can't understand why?

I'd be grateful for any thoughts :-)

Luke

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

Have you tried clearing CMOS? Reset BIOs to defaults? Is it always the same memory module you remove, or both? Is this a new mb? Looked on the Asus forums??

I had a Asus Rampage II Extreme mb years ago and the memory slots were broken the day I got it. I did several tests and finally they sent me a replacement overnight and it worked fine.

• Like 1

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Have you tried clearing CMOS? Reset BIOs to defaults? Is it always the same memory module you remove, or both? Is this a new mb? Looked on the Asus forums??

I had a Asus Rampage II Extreme mb years ago and the memory slots were broken the day I got it. I did several tests and finally they sent me a replacement overnight and it worked fine.

Hi - thanks for replying.

Yes, I've cleared the BIOS, reset everything several times, updated... all has made no change. The board is a couple of months old and it seems to be that replacing the same module always does the trick. I haven't found anything on the ASUS forums which has helped. I guess if it persists I'll have to send it back, but i don't want to be without it for weeks...:huh:

Luke

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

If it's always the same module buy and test another one? Then you won't have to tear it all down.

But as I said, Asus actually overnighted a new one to me and I sent the defective one back in their box.. That was about 8 years ago..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

As long as you have a valid CC they can charge against, most companies will do a cross ship, sending you a new unit first. You may have to insist on it, since the standard policy is for a return first, but just be insistent and you should be fine.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Did you manipulate your cpu or cpu cooler lately? If so, you may have bent/damaged pins. Check for damaged pins AND for correct seating your cpu-cooler. New CPUs have the memory controller on the cpu itself.

Without this knowledge, the 55 error is totally misleading. Had this before, took me a weekend to find out. I also had to wash my mouth with soap therafter. :music_whistling:

Edited by JaBoG32_Prinzartus

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз

I have a Dell Server T330 that looses it's mind when I reboot it :) It has a about the same error as yours, what fixes mine ( till Dell found the cause and may fix it with a new Bios ) is to UNPLUG it and hit the power button a few times and then plug it in again...and ola..it wants to know its memory again.

Very stupid, but broken Bios's happen

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Maybe you should also take a look at your PSU, just in case.

"Weird" boot symptoms can sometimes be a first sign of a gradually failing PSU.

Also try reseating all power plugs etc.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

You should set your cpu at the default speed or less (don't overclock). Under clock your ram at a lower speed (2133mhz) .

Remove all unnecessary usb devices.

You can also use a hair dryer to warm up some components before to start (motherboard, ram, ssd, psu).

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.