JTAC LSS GBU-12 off target?

deadlyfishes

So, I have a JTAC setup to do a laser designation, but I'm confused a bit with how it works;

So this is what happens:

• Call JTAC
  • Get target position, etc
  • Mark target data on TAD as SPI
  • Move TGP to look at SPI
  • Tell JTAC LASER ON
  • LSS Mode on TGP, found laser says "DETECT" and now it's tracking
  • Tell JTAC SPOT
  • Tell JTAC "IN"
  • Cleared hot
  • Release GBU 12, doesn't appear to even try to find the laser from JTAC
  • Miss

So what actually worked, is to ask for LASER ON and then not tell JTAC "SPOT" and just go ahead and firing the GBU-12 at it, and the bomb attempted to hit the laser, unlike before. I was able to hit the target this time. Yeah, this worked, but I don't think this is the right protocol...

I understand how to do self and own lase, but I'm trying out to fire off of JTAC's lase this time.

"Through The Inferno"

Endless, Dynamic, Open-World Experience for DCS World

Are the GBUs set to the right laser frequency? I believe by default they are set to 1688? JTAC may be using a different one

Come fly with me, lets fly, lets fly away! -Sinatra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Specs: Lenovo Y50 with GTX 860m (2GB), i7 4700HQ 2.4GHz, 8GB Ram. Corsair K70(MX Blues are awesome!), Benq GW2760HS monitor, Steelseries V3 Prism headset, TM Warthog Hotas, Sidewinder FFB2 W/ FLCS grip, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR5, KW-908 Jetseat

Are the GBUs set to the right laser frequency? I believe by default they are set to 1688? JTAC may be using a different one

Yeah, they're both 1688.

The bomb doesn't act like it's responding to the lase from JTAC.

It does respond BEFORE I say "SPOT" but it doesn't seem to respond to the laser after I do "Spot", and then "IN"

I've attached a trk file, hopefully it doesn't glitch or anything.

Failed LST GBU.trk

"Through The Inferno"

XAeW39t.jpg

looks to me that your SPI was set to TAD at the point of release. that looked like it was at the other side of the bridge. so the spot the CCRP wanted to put the boom as not on the target and some ways behind it and you released a little late not buy much, causing the boom to hit even farther back. maybe the wind helped but it was blowing 14 knots to the left

I think the boom did not see the laser

I took control of your track ~2min before weapon release can changed the SPI to TGP and I had no problems with it

don't worry too much I did the same thing with GBU-38 the boom when exactly where it was told to go my steer point, not the bunker I had in my sights on the TGP where I wanted it to go

Edited by squid509
  • Like 1

XAeW39t.jpg

looks to me that your SPI was set to TAD at the point of release. that looked like it was at the other side of the bridge. so the spot the CCRP wanted to put the boom as not on the target and some ways behind it and you released a little late not buy much, causing the boom to hit even farther back.

I think the boom did not see the laser

I took control of your track ~2min before weapon release can changed the SPI to TGP and I had no problems with it

don't worry too much I did the same thing with GBU-38 the boom when exactly where it was told to go my steer point, not the bunker I had in my sights on the TGP where I wanted it to go

Wow thanks for that! I was going to post a reply saying I tried approaching from another angle, and it seemed to work out better...

So, should I set SPI on the TGP when it is in LSS/LST mode? (Can't slew the TGP in this mode) The only reason I felt that I didn't need to do that is because it was tracking the lase from the JTAC. **EDIT: I guess the SPI is where the boom points to...**

Anyways, thanks for the help, the image and diagram was very useful.

Edited by deadlyfishes

"Through The Inferno"

that what I would do.

having the TGP in LSS mode helps you buy not having to slew, it will latch on to the JATC laser.

but the avionics will set the CCRP to put the boom on the SPI every time

you can tell what your SPI is where I circled on the HUD

you don't what to know how many booms I dropped going how in the hell did it land over there? before I figured out what was going on

you don't what to know how many booms I dropped going how in the hell did it land over there? before I figured out what was going on

Hah, I rage-quit DCS/A-10C for almost a year because I couldn't get the flow down of SOI/SPI/China Hat Forward Long. It finally hit me a few weeks ago on how it all really works and now I'm really loving it.

"Through The Inferno"

Nice illustration squid509 :thumbup:

deadlyfishes if I am not mistaken then the dotted line in the HUD on squid509's picture is indicating where the LST is pointing to. Not particularly helpful in this situation but just info

Cheers

Hans

Cool to see you guys got this sorted.

You could make life easier on yourself as well by just calling this a Bomb On Coordinate release.

Essentially your dropping the bomb in a laser basket and it will acquire the laser energy on its last legs of the drop.

No need to get into LSS to visually acquire the target cause then you might as well self lase anyways. These methods are exceptional for any time you can not see the target. For example a medium threat area with clouds above 6K. Drop LGB on coordinated and let the JTAC do the rest.

Last note for this is to remember to inform the JTAC of all standard laser brevity calls during the execution.

Just food for thought.

Cheers.

My CAS (Close air support) JTAC Channel:  RIFLE - YouTube  

RIFLE's Discord:  https://discord.gg/cmDCrr4Z2g  

Publications

JTAC Bible (see/know chapter #5) https://fas.org/irp/doddir/dod/jp3_09_3.pdf

J-FIRE pocket guide (Don't do battle without it!)  BK2 (fas.org)