To what extent is kinematic performance modeled in DCS?

Wyatt109

~3 years of experience and accumulated anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that it's pretty close, but I'd like to know what someone with good physics/math knowledge has to say. Mainly I'm interested in kinematic ranging through either altitude or speed, but anything else is cool too.

~3 years of experience and accumulated anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that it's pretty close, but I'd like to know what someone with good physics/math knowledge has to say. Mainly I'm interested in kinematic ranging through either altitude or speed, but anything else is cool too.

Depends what you really mean by that.

If you are asking about inertia and kinetic energy then that is part of the flight model/physics calculation and different aircraft may be using different flight model.

For example, some use AFM, some use PFM and so on so level of implementation might be different.

There is no one single answer to this. The ones that use PFM do simulate things to high degree though. SFM not so much.

Kinetic energy calculations are the very basics of vehicle motion simulation so they do need to be calculated in some level.

Amount of things causing drag and reduction of kinetic might have differences (for example, aircraft skin drag).

Basics of what I am talking about found in every vehicle simulation is energy and loss of it. See wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_energy

Edited by kazereal

"I would have written a shorter post, but I did not have the time."

It is modeled, and quite well so. The arguments are not so much about the model as they are about the parameters input into the model, and missile guidance needs a big facelift, which ED is working on :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

It is modeled, and quite well so. The arguments are not so much about the model as they are about the parameters input into the model, and missile guidance needs a big facelift, which ED is working on :)

Thanks, GGTharos! I thought as much, but wanted to know for sure.

I can't recall I've seen any news of a missile guidance facelift... GGTharos, do you have link to a forum post or something that confirms that?