AC-130? Why not?

Mig Fulcrum

You know what it could be awesome? An AC-130 with the multy crew feature.

Just imagine the epicness to fly that baby mainwhile other players are detroying every single enemy atom with ridiculous big cannons in cooperation with A-10s.

I don't know if the AC-130 have any air refuel capabilities (like KC-130) but if it is it could be a very interesting feature in online game (expecially with the F-14 and F/A-18 incoming).

I would absolutely love this !!! More so in just a FC3 concept! Multi-crew would be cool, 2 slots, one pilot, one gunner. Or just single player, with the ability to have an autopilot do a selectable orbit (speed, radius, altitude)

- Apache600

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Museum Relic Campaign: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=164322

Community Missions (SP & MP) --> https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=205546

Well... there is a mission in Modern Warfare were you can "experience" it.

Pre-Programmed, non dynamic ride through the tunnel with test of reflexes (aim and press a,b,c) is not exactly what I would call "experiencing", but the idea of an AC-130 Spectre is really appealing. :D

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Well, there are a lot of "why not":

- because there are a lot of other aircrafts that are more interesting than AC-130 - F-16, F-15E etcetera etcetera - there are no reasons to make an AC-130 when there are tons of other aircrafts waiting for their chance to be developed for DCS.

- because, frankly, it's boring: ACM is almost non existant in AC-130 and operators on gun stations are idle 99% of time.

- because it's a "niche plane": ofc every aircraft is interesting, but I'm sure most of us will prefer to fly in F-14/F-16 than in AC-130, so there are not a lot of insentives for developers to make this aircraft.

- because it's kinda secret plane and it's probably difficult to acquire information to make it in a realistic manner.

I can imagine a lot of aircraft we'd all like to see, but to rule out a C-130 because we don't have the F-14 or F-16 seems to me to be missing the point a little. In case you hadn't noticed, we have already been told that the F-14 is just around the corner, and the F-16 gap has been discussed at length, so you're hardly adding to ANY debate with those two particular examples.

As for secrets surrounding the C-130, really? You think there are a lot of secret systems in a transport? And to make a C-130 into a AC-130, just add howitzers, rockets, machine guns, anti tank guns, and crates and crates of ammo - not really any secrets there either! I think you'll find that's exactly what they did in Viet Nahm. Of course a modern version may be a little more shrouded in mystery, but no one said we needed the latest variant did they!

As a first 4 engined heavy, I'd say that the Hercules is a prime candidate, behind only the B-17 or Lancaster - or maybe a Stratofortress. But frankly, who wouldn't want to see all of them?

The logistics of developing them is a big issue, but the question was why not, and not is it possible or probable. That is a matter for the guys who choose to develop them.

I would love to have a Hercules in DCS. Transport and multiengine as well as why not an AC-130, why not both? It would give a new fun dimension to the "game"!

It would be an instant buy for me, thats for sure. Likewise I buy all jets, props and helicopters that interest me. A Hercules would not interfere with my interset in investing in Spitfire, Viggen, Tomcat, Hornet, Eurofighter, Bo 105, Hind, new maps etc etc.

tbh an ac-130 wouldnt be any more boring than flying a hog

Can't do gun runs in an AC-130... or cruise at 300 knots... or drop PGM's... or gun down a fighter that accidentally gets low and slow with you... etc

Don't get me wrong though, I'd absolutely love to fly something that has some real mass to it, the Hercules seems like a good choice.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

• 2 weeks later...

AC-130 would be great, especially in ground pound servers with well hidden units.

"Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil. For I am 80,000 feet and climbing." -9th SRW Det. 1 Wing Ops, Kadena AFB, Okinawa, Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5-4460, 16GB of RAM, MSi GTX 970 Twin Frozr V, ASRock H97M Anniversary, 2x 1TB HDD, Fractal design Core 1100, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Corsair Vengeance K70, Razer Abyssus mouse, BenQ 1080P monitor.

See here,

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=177325

I do know that this is not a "real" Ac-130.

It is a modded c-130.

We only have a single gun.

Try the front cannon. I modified it into a 105mm cannon!:megalol:

You can do great devastation without ever using any other weapon!

I hope someone will take the model into 3DX max and add a few cannons side mounted.

I can then add side guns to the mod.

Have fun!

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."