Huge update files need a disk choice

klem

My SSD is getting hammered by he DCS updates, especially the latest one, made worse by having both v1.5 and v2 on the same SSD. Update torrents are taking up huge amounts of space and I even had to move some other large files to a HDD while I did the update. In addition it is supposedly bad practice to repeatedly write/erase/re-write/re-erase to a SSD.

I have spare space on other disks such as HDDs. Please can we have a choice of disk (selected in the Update dialogue window) for the torrent file locations?

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

You can use Link Shell Extension to create a hardlink on the SSD for the update files to be written to a destination HDD.

I only have experience with this utility on win 7 x64 but it does support many OS.

You need to keep hardlinks and hardlink sources sorted properly or you'll seriously be confused.

While win7 explorer and NTFS supports hardlinks as MS uses them for major components and applications as part of the WINSXS system to alleviate dll hell and compatability, they don't support the end user to create them. This utility adds this to your context menu.

On the HDD you create a a folder something like "HARDLINK_SOURCE_E" for example if your HDD has a drive letter E: ... then you either move the folder you want from the SSD into that folder on the HDD or if the SSD folder that you want is currently empty, just create one with the same name on the HDD, and delete the one on the SSD.

So E:\HARDLINK_SOURCE_E\DCSWorld-15\_downloads - will be where the data is located, you select _downloads folder, right click and select "pick link source"

Then you go to the root folder of the DCS install on SSD and in the empty space (it's harder if you don't have full-row-select disabled) right click and select "Drop As > Junction"

The folder in the SSD will now have a custom mark "a little chain" so it's easily distinguished , unfortunately the source folder has no markings so you'll have to keep a list if you will use a lot of hardlinking.

I usually create a file in the folder where the source folder is located, so along with _downloads on the HDD i create an empty text file "this-folder-source.txt" and it makes things clearer very quickly.

I probably have around 20 hardlinks, I offload many things off the SSD such as the humongous adobe premiere cache files off the AppData directories, and windows indexer which does a lot of writing as well.

Some of these markings already exist in windows explorer, a red pointer is used with the hardlinks that MS uses in their windows files, but those are different type, for this purpose you need a junction type.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

My SSD is getting hammered by he DCS updates, especially the latest one, made worse by having both v1.5 and v2 on the same SSD. Update torrents are taking up huge amounts of space and I even had to move some other large files to a HDD while I did the update. In addition it is supposedly bad practice to repeatedly write/erase/re-write/re-erase to a SSD.

I have spare space on other disks such as HDDs. Please can we have a choice of disk (selected in the Update dialogue window) for the torrent file locations?

The numbers of read and writes to the SSD will take so long you will most likely have updated your PC by then. That info. was given out in the early stages of the SSD tech. it is much better now.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

@Wader8, thanks for taking the time to explain but seriously I don't want to set up a special process just for the updates. Also, there will be many people out there that simply will not understand the process.

@AtaliaA1, that's good to hear but again I don't have the disk space.

A simple option to choose a disk would be best.

I'd like to hear from ED.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

I'm just updating DCS 2.0 with an enforced update. Does anybody have an idea why it has that size (26GB!!!)?

New Nevada map with more airports etc.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

@Wader8, thanks for taking the time to explain but seriously I don't want to set up a special process just for the updates. Also, there will be many people out there that simply will not understand the process.

@AtaliaA1, that's good to hear but again I don't have the disk space.

A simple option to choose a disk would be best.

I'd like to hear from ED.

Unfortunately ED cannot help you here, this is the process the updates require, the nature of the SSD technology is not their responsibility, nor the cost per GB.

The options you have, may ultimately come down to PC experience whether or not you want to attempt to use them, I have given you one of the solutions to prevent SSD writes and to alleviate space on the SSD during updating, as I have understood from what you've written.

Updates do replace things, they don't keep adding and adding so many megabytes to the total install size every time you see a multi GB download.

The updates have to download somewhere before they're applied, they don't update the game directly.

The solution for disk choice that you have in mind is a methodically very similar one, just doesn't involve hardlinks , and the updater would have to support that to patch a game in some other location, they may or may not see the need for such a feature, but you probably won't get it any time soon, at least not before the fork merge.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Unfortunately ED cannot help you here, this is the process the updates require, the nature of the SSD technology is not their responsibility, nor the cost per GB.

The options you have, may ultimately come down to PC experience whether or not you want to attempt to use them, I have given you one of the solutions to prevent SSD writes and to alleviate space on the SSD during updating, as I have understood from what you've written.

Updates do replace things, they don't keep adding and adding so many megabytes to the total install size every time you see a multi GB download.

The updates have to download somewhere before they're applied, they don't update the game directly.

The solution for disk choice that you have in mind is a methodically very similar one, just doesn't involve hardlinks , and the updater would have to support that to patch a game in some other location, they may or may not see the need for such a feature, but you probably won't get it any time soon, at least not before the fork merge.

I understand all of this and you understand the simple problem that large installations and large update downloads can present a problem for some current drives, particularly modest sized SSDs. I doubt that it would take much coding to look to a nominated drive instead of an assumed one. I will not be able to do the next major update without moving files again and I doubt if I am the only one.

Customers should not need to be PC gurus to make an update ("Link Shell Extension") or re-organise files to make temporary space for an update when other space is available.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

So others (read ED) should complicate their lives instead? How about steam users? Should they complain to Steam or ED? Or both?

And how it would be easier or more convenient for the majority or at least for people in your situation (which frankly doesn't make too much sense)? So they will have to update to a different location on another disk then move the update files to the final destination them selves? Then complain to ED if something went wrong?

As other said... SSD writing is not a problem anymore. So you either have the space or you don't.

If you don't have the space you simply cancel the update. Move the DCS folder where you want (I recommend copy) then change the target addresses in the shortcuts located your desktop to your new locations and then run the update again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

So others (read ED) should complicate their lives instead? How about steam users? Should they complain to Steam or ED? Or both?

And how it would be easier or more convenient for the majority or at least for people in your situation (which frankly doesn't make too much sense)? So they will have to update to a different location on another disk then move the update files to the final destination them selves? Then complain to ED if something went wrong?

As other said... SSD writing is not a problem anymore. So you either have the space or you don't.

If you don't have the space you simply cancel the update. Move the DCS folder where you want (I recommend copy) then change the target addresses in the shortcuts located your desktop to your new locations and then run the update again.

And we should complicate our lives or spend even more money on hardware just to get an update? Did you ever work in customer services?

ED might think:

"You know what, we can capture a disk choice from a dialogue box in a microsecond. With such huge updates some guys might be struggling. Do we really need to have them go out and buy even larger SSD drives and leave Gigabytes unused just waiting for an update when we could help them use an alternate drive for the download with so little trouble?"

It is common practice to offer a disk location for programs so why not the update files?

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

No they will possibly think: why does the guy not buy a larger SSD or put DCS on a big hard-disk?

At least it was my first thought.

It is like buying a new SUV style car and complaining to the manufacturer, that you now have to remove the bicycles from the garage as it is too big to fit, while the bikes are parked at the wall.

I understand your problem, but it is unlikely to be addressed at a time where new notebooks and PCs come with 500GB plus SSDs, and replacement SSD aren't really unaffordable.

Maybe you are lucky and a dev thinks it is simple enough/worth to introduce this feature, but personally I doubt that.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

As with all updates, some files will be added, and some will be replaced. If you are struggling for disc space, then just think about how much more difficult a problem you'll have when more modules and maps arrive.

With the average cost of drives falling every time a larger capacity one arrives, the overall benefits of replacing older drives with much more head space is a pretty sensible move. The disc space can cost as little as a couple of modules.

Frankly, it isn't EDs responsibility to ensure people with insufficient resources have a way to overcome minimum computer specs. It isn't a cheap hobby, there is no denying that, but occasionally there is no alternative to investing more in your rig.

In addition it is supposedly bad practice to repeatedly write/erase/re-write/re-erase to a SSD.

Most consumer SSDs are rated for around 200GiB/day for 5 years.

Normal usage comes nowhere close to that number.

For reference, with my 3 copies of DCS and a pile of texture work, I've averaged 65GiB/day on my drive. At my rate of usage, it'll last 15 years.

--gos

Edited by gospadin