VR is made for DCS

blackbelter

And DCS has been expecting VR...

The DCS experience in VR is just unspeakably awesome... I become a better pilot simply because of the better perception of relative position and distance in VR. And the immersion... OMG! I am so glad that I bought an Oculus Rift.

The frame rate, though, still needs improvement... I have set everything to low (see attachment), except the pixel density was 1.8. I am getting as low as ~20 FPS when looking at the ground. The stuttering is very obvious. I am on 1.5.5 and 2.0.4. Both installs yield about the same results.

My specs is:

i5-3570K at 4.3

Nvidia 1070 core clocked at 1835

16 GB DDR3

Oculus Rift CV1

I would consider mine a pretty beefy system. I could squeeze a little more juice out of my CPU, but I doubt it would make much of a difference.

Despite the stuttering and the frame rate issue, the experience is still awesome.

Patiently waiting for ED to work things out.

Screen_161119_150125.thumb.jpg.faf06b509f40d3a8be59ac42095788bc.jpg

It depends also on the aircraft, some modules get better FPS.

I think Pixel Density 1.8 is too high. With 1.8 you render essentially 4K in stereoscopic 3D VR for two eyes.

Your other settings are fine.

Check some of the other threads about VR Performance.

2.0.4. is completely broken for VR. For everyone. Don't try that.

1.5.5. should be fine tough. Problem could be the newest Nvidia drivers are very bad.

Quote Vedexent: The technical term for an over ambitious ground attack pilot is "dead".

Quote SiThSpAwN: I figure 1.5 will have to buy some roses and chocolates, take 2.0 to a nice restaurant, and if it opens doors and is a gentleman, 1.5 and 2.0 might just get to merge one day.

The DCS experience in VR is just unspeakably awesome

I agree totally and I reckon most other VR users will too. The modules are all works of art in 2D and totally compelling in 3DVR, and I only have a DK2.

I just revisited Mig15bis again tonight, though for the first time in VR, and felt like I was really present in that cockpit. The detail is immaculate, although it's almost impossible to spot bogies with a DK2.

Thinking back to Tornado on the Amiga, which was where I started, we have come so far. Which is why I am very happy.

i5/9600K wc, Z390XP, 32Gb/DDR4, 1080ti wc, 850 Evo SSD, TMWH, DSD FLT1, ORs.

A10C, UH1, MI8, BF109K4, SA342M, L39C, M2000C, Mig21BIS, Mig15, F86, C101, Hawk, F-14, F-5E, Spitfire MkIX, AV8B N/A, FA-18C, P51-D, Yak 52, Mig19p, F-16C, JF-17 OPF, Red Flag2, MusRel, BnboB, Tbs, TEW 3.0, TTQ, MI8 OFC, SC.

If you've not already, try turning pixel density down until you can get 90fps - just for fun...

If you love it already at 20FPS (which I can't stomach at all) you'll love it at 90fps, it's a whole new game :)

Once you learn an aircraft enough that you understand the cockpit display without 100% legibility having pixel density above 1.0 isn't absolutely necessary. Of course, this doesn't stop me pushing it to 1.5... a value which I'd suggest to get a little more performance, I think you'll be hard pressed to notice the difference between that and 1.8.

Are you using the latest drivers for you GPU? I'm using version 368.69 at the moment, anything higher causes performance issues. Nvidia drivers, DCS and Oculus updates all have caused performance issues for me in the last few months.

I can't thank you enough! 368.69 worked brilliantly! I can now play in VR with ASW off almost constantly at 90 FPS (although it's just a simple mission, with two planes dog fighting in a not-so-densely-populated area)! Never expected the driver can make such a huge difference!

I can't thank you enough! 368.69 worked brilliantly! I can now play in VR with ASW off almost constantly at 90 FPS (although it's just a simple mission, with two planes dog fighting in a not-so-densely-populated area)! Never expected the driver can make such a huge difference!

Glad to be of help, I also use the no tree shadow mod

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2495081&postcount=7

If you're using the Black Sea map this seems to work quite well at increasing FPS

My rig is similar to yours and I run things a lot higher than you, although I do build my own missions and stay away from the heavily populated areas.