improving missiles maneuverability

Gargoyle

Hello guys,

I was attempting to improve the missile maneuverability of some of the A-A missiles, such as the AIM-120, the R-27 series etc....

So I went to the "missiles_data" file, located in Eagle_Dynamics/Scripts/Database/Weapons.

There are scripts for every missile, as these:

ModelData = { 58 , -- model params count

0.4 , -- characteristic square (характеристическая площадь)

-- параметры зависимости Сx

0.05 , -- Cx_k0 планка Сx0 на дозвуке ( M << 1)

0.12 , -- Cx_k1 высота пика волнового кризиса

0.02 , -- Cx_k2 крутизна фронта на подходе к волновому кризису

0.062, -- Cx_k3 планка Cx0 на сверхзвуке ( M >> 1)

1.2 , -- Cx_k4 крутизна спада за волновым кризисом

1.0 , -- коэффициент отвала поляры (пропорционально sqrt (M^2-1))

-- параметры зависимости Cy

0.9 , -- Cy_k0 планка Сy0 на дозвуке ( M << 1)

0.8 , -- Cy_k1 планка Cy0 на сверхзвуке ( M >> 1)

1.2 , --

Cy_k2 крутизна спада(фронта) за волновым кризисом

etc... the list is very long. So my point is that I can increase the aerodynamic resistance, the engine trust... and some other stuff... but I can't found a parameter which increases the maneuverability....

Do you know which parameters(s) increases the missiles maneuverability? (in terms of faster missile turns, higher G turns, more acute angles of trajectory)

Are those information within this file? Or maybe I need to check them into an other file?!

Thank you!!

search in db_missiles or something simillar to that

in the "db_" list files in Eagle_Dynamics/DCS_World/Script/Database, there is only "db_weapons_data", that has to do with the missiles, but it is about the ID, the shape, the weight of how they are carried under the wings...

I do not found what you specified...

In missiles_data.lua look for this line

Life_Time = XX.X,

Adjust the number 2 times higher for increasing missile distance and maneuverability.

Works great on air to ground weapons too.

Wouldn't try this mod online though.

To edit you need a dedicated script editor like Notepad++

Edited by Bewsher

In missiles_data.lua look for this line

Life_Time = XX.X,

Adjust the number 2 times higher for increasing missile distance and maneuverability.

Works great on air to ground weapons too.

Wouldn't try this mod online though.

To edit you need a dedicated script editor like Notepad++

Great, I will try it!!

I was expecting to find some very specific parameter for maneuverability... like a kind of "maneuverability coefficient" or something like that.... are we sure there are not such?!

Great, I will try it!!

I was expecting to find some very specific parameter for maneuverability... like a kind of "maneuverability coefficient" or something like that.... are we sure there are not such?!

Not that ive found. However maybe it is in there. Someones gotta have an answer if its there.

Not that ive found. However maybe it is in there. Someones gotta have an answer if its there.

yes, it is important to know this detail, because the configuration of the missiles maneuverability it is a really important point of the simulation!

yes, it is important to know this detail, because the configuration of the missiles maneuverability it is a really important point of the simulation!

Agreed. Also keep this in mind that performance varies from max altitude to sea level.

Also you can Wikipedia the mach numbers of the missiles and adjust this line too

Mach_max = X,X,

That ll give the A2A missiles a bit extra kick.

Agreed. Also keep this in mind that performance varies from max altitude to sea level.

Also you can Wikipedia the mach numbers of the missiles and adjust this line too

Mach_max = X,X,

That ll give the A2A missiles a bit extra kick.

I've tried to reduce the Life_time parameter value, but I do not see a significant maneuverability increment..

I think it is not from this file that we must switch it... I tried to copy/past all the main parameters of the R-73 over a bigger missile, and the long range ones are still "slow" in maneuverability as before..

I think there must be an other file from where control what we need...

Cy is the lift coefficient which directly affects maneuverability.

0.9 , -- Cy_k0 планка Сy0 на дозвуке ( M << 1)

0.8 , -- Cy_k1 планка Cy0 на сверхзвуке ( M >> 1)

And I strongly suggest leaving it alone unless you know what it is you should be setting it to. 'This feels right' is a completely invalid way of setting missile parameters :) On the other hand, it's your game, do what you like.

If you want to know more PM me. Just know that 'increasing maneuverability' without guidance that can accommodate it might (actually will) result in much shorter missile flight ranges.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda