The Détecteur de Départ Missile (DDM)

Zeus67

It's normal.

To use the DDM, you have first to ... mount it on the plane !

On the M2000, the DDM is optional, located (or not) at the rear of the Magic pylons.

You can do that in the mission editor. If it's not set in the mission you are playing ... the DDM light in the cockpit goes blinking.

It's normal.

To use the DDM, you have first to ... mount it on the plane !

On the M2000, the DDM is optional, located (or not) at the rear of the Magic pylons.

You can do that in the mission editor. If it's not set in the mission you are playing ... the DDM light in the cockpit goes blinking.

I'm sry, but I can't find it in the ME. Can you explain, where I can find it there? Thank you very much!

Edit: I found it, thx

Edited by felixx75

• 2 weeks later...
In the ME, select your plane then clic on the tab "..." (just on the right of the radio settings tab) then select "Mount the DDM sensors" option.

Thanks. These kinds of changes are easy to miss.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

• 9 months later...

Maybe to re-alive it...

Bought Mirage 2000C a month ago, and a week ago, I was so pissed off on my RWR couldn`t detect missiles shot on me, and then I found out this thread. I didn`t even know we have an option (in Mission Editor) for the Missile Warning System to turn it on. Read all this thread, interesting read it was 🙂

Btw, here is some data that it was implemented on 2000C version: http://florent1973.free.fr/FrenchAirWings/francais/walk around/autres_charges/Rail_Magic_Mirage2000/w_rail_magic_Mirage2000_2.htm

Now its much easier to evade missiles coming close to notch them out. Its still not 100% guaranteed, but it surely is way better. Although MP servers mainly do not support it.

3 hours ago, mitja_bonca said:

Maybe to re-alive it...

Bought Mirage 2000C a month ago, and a week ago, I was so pissed off on my RWR couldn`t detect missiles shot on me, and then I found out this thread. I didn`t even know we have an option (in Mission Editor) for the Missile Warning System to turn it on. Read all this thread, interesting read it was 🙂

Btw, here is some data that it was implemented on 2000C version: http://florent1973.free.fr/FrenchAirWings/francais/walk around/autres_charges/Rail_Magic_Mirage2000/w_rail_magic_Mirage2000_2.htm

Now its much easier to evade missiles coming close to notch them out. Its still not 100% guaranteed, but it surely is way better. Although MP servers mainly do not support it.

No, it could have been mounted on Mirage 2000C, but the one you see equipped with DDM is a Mirage 2000N.

To this day, not a single evidence of DDM on Mirage 2000C, but it's acknowledged on Mirage 2000N & Mirage 2000D.

I also found a document saying that the Mirage 2000N needed an ECM upgrade to use it.

They equipment was planned from the beginning, then put on hold to save money...and resurrected after several close calls (Etendard IV P hit, Mirage IV P hit but missile didn't detonate) and Mirage 2000N K2 #346 C/S "EBRO 33", squadron 2/3 Champagne, shot down during operation Deny Flight over Bosnia, on August 30th 1995 near Pale.

• Like 1

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Mirage RWR is detecting "missile shot" as well as any other plane in DCS, not sure why you'd be pissed off. It's based on Radar emission, not on having a missile in the air.

DDM is indeed a MWS, and there are not that much plane in DCS having one implemented AFAIK (A-10C and JF17 ?).

30 minutes ago, Steph21 said:

Mirage RWR is detecting "missile shot" as well as any other plane in DCS, not sure why you'd be pissed off. It's based on Radar emission, not on having a missile in the air.

DDM is indeed a MWS, and there are not that much plane in DCS having one implemented AFAIK (A-10C and JF17 ?).

Hehe, not really pissed off, I meant to say, I couldn`t detect the missiles flying towards me (only planes which fired them. 

I think its an awesome add-on, which is not really there IRL on 2000C variant, based on @jojo`s words and many others.

From doctrinal point of view, in AA, with GCI or AWACS support, fighters would react based on aspect and range. They would rather pre-flare or pre-chaff when in range than wait for missile shot.

Off course, if they detect launch against them, they would do reactive chaff/ flare too.

DDM was rather meant to detect MANPADs, often unexpected.

In DCS we don't have the Mirage 2000N K2, so you can always pretend to be a "Mud" for gameplay, and use DDM when doing AG.

And at the end, it's just a game, so use DDM whenever you feel like it.

But be aware that DDM will probably not warn you against BVR shot. The system is detecting missile's engine. With long range shot, the missile is incoming engine off. 😉

• Like 3

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

4 hours ago, jojo said:

But be aware that DDM will probably not warn you against BVR shot. The system is detecting missile's engine. With long range shot, the missile is incoming engine off. 😉

I know, personally I only need for coming into a close fight (with awareness), and later on if I have to notch or at least crack it. Thanks you @jojo for so many info.