Chaff flare

Snowblizz

I program my chaff as following, with an explanation of each bit:

Chaff Burst Count (number of chaff packets dropped per button press) - 3

Chaff Salvo Count (number of chaff bursts per button press) - 2

Chaff Burst interval (amount of time between each chaff packet in one burst, in seconds) 0.3 or 0.4

Chaff Salvo interval (amount of time the plane waits after the first burst finishes before starting subsequent ones, in seconds. Not applicable if using Salvo count of 1) 1 or 2

With this set up every time I click the countermeasure button once I get 6 chaff packets dispensing, 3 packets over 2 bursts. Each burst takes about 1-1.2 seconds to complete so in total I am dispensing chaff for a total of 3 seconds (1 second for burst one, 1 second interval, 1 second for burst 2). Because you have 30 chaff by default (you can take 60 at the expense of flares) that gives you 5 total chaff cycles. I find this is perfect for defeating 2 or 3 missiles (except amraams, I hate those :P ) if you combine it with effective manoeuvring such as notching. If you're in a situation where you need more chaff than that you're probably in a fight too hot for the F5E ;)

For flares I don't program them. The program only seems effective as a long-term disruption such as when doing rocket/bomb runs and you want continuous flares on your run in/out. I find its easier to leave them in single and fire them when they're needed :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is there a way to dispense chaff or flare, as opposed to both, without fiddling with the rotary switches?

VF-111 Sundowners

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Carrier Group 1 - Battlegroup Delta

Beware the lessons of a fighter pilot who would rather fly a slide rule than kick your ass!

-Commander Ron "Mugs" McKeown, USN

Commander, U.S. Navy Fighter Weapons School

2 Victories, Vietnam

What do you mean Zooker? You have to turn the stuff on and set up whatever it is you wish to use properly, and then I have a button on my throttle set up for it, just "poof", chaff and flares come right out when asked as advertised. By the way, love the quote. I read "Scream of Eagles" and am a huge McKeown / Pederson / Teague fan.......that book totally changed how I flew Phantoms in SF 1, and it also changed my kill ratio substantially. I assume since you know who Mugs is that you have read it, but if not I suggest you do so!!!

I do have a question: it is my understanding that if I turn on both flares and chaff then both will come out with the same button press. Is this correct? If so am I correct in assuming that to only use one is to turn the other off completely?

Thank you!

~S

Edited by Robert31178

I do have a question: it is my understanding that if I turn on both flares and chaff then both will come out with the same button press. Is this correct? If so am I correct in assuming that to only use one is to turn the other off completely?

Thank you!

~S

yeah you're correct, the only way to dispense one or the other is to turn one of the countermeasures off using the switch, which isn't ideal in combat. Thats why chaff programming is so useful, click once and let the chaff pump out, whilst conserving flares.

Its worth noting that if you have a chaff programme set up and you have to spam flares, the chaff programme won't keep running. Once you click the countermeasure button and the chaff starts, it ignores extra clicks until the programme finishes but will continue to dump flares :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]