***DCS: AJS-37 Coming to DCS: World!***

Cobra847

The calm is difficult because us Viggen fans were expecting some system details over the weekend that didn't come. Also the tease of information that was supposed to be the "announcement week" kind of fizzled. It's just disappointing to make time to come here often and see nothing but Tomcat posts instead of wanted Viggen news and info. :cry:

Yay, the "announcement week" doesn't seem to be over yet at all 01-yay.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

The thing here is that those wishing more for the tomcat than the viggen (or simply "tomcat ftw, **** the rest"-crew) have been breastfeeded info of the release order for several months, basically everyone that follows LNS knows this, some accepts it, but some refuses to be mature about it.

The Viggen-crew have devotedly and humble been following and posting in the single AJS37-thread for almost 400 pages, minding our own business, and when we finally get the Viggen-subforum, many F14-fan gets triggered and just has to show their dissatisfaction for the whole existence of Viggen in THIS forum? time after time after time after time.

And i would most certainly accept this if they all where unaware of the fact, which is the point in some cases.

But when i see the same people in several parts of the forum, getting the same answer week after week ("sorry, but the tomcat is not ready, and will not be the next plane, come back in the beginning of next year for more nice tomcat-info"), and its getting obvious that they are ONLY HERE to spread negative posts of the Viggen, or LNS. Then, it's becoming annoying... Because, we, the viggen-fans, or NOT the ones to blame.

With that being said, i am too longing for the Tomcat, and i understand that it's easy to get biased when we get the Viggen before.

I dont know about you guys, am i completely off on this one?

Thank you for this post! It's really just not fair to complain about someone doing a great job and others enjoying it just because it's not someone’s pair of shoes.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

This weekend will be marked by the first in-depth looks at the Viggen systems functionality. We have a lot of stuff to cover until release!

What happened Cobra? A lot of people were waiting :(.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

What happened Cobra? A lot of people were waiting :(.

This.

I, for one, am disappointed at the lack of information. I was excited moving into the "announcement week." I have no idea why they said so much then went quiet except for a few tiny posts. anybody on the LN team have an idea of when more info will be released?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Perhaps it's more of an announcement fortnight? :ermm:

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

On the "Fear of the Dark" you can see a minor HUD compass bug at 38 seconds time:

h6PG0r4.png

Anyone that can explain the HUD (or "siktlinjesindikator") symbology?

I see:

* What looks like a flight path marker just above the little "5" on the left?

* The "3.0" on the horizontal line. What's that?

* 35 / 36 must be heading in degrees (divided by 10 of course)

* The 5's above / below the horizontal lines is the azimuth(?) ladder? (Can't remember the correct name)

* The various vertical short lines in the low middle part of the HUD, what's that?

* No speed / mach information in the HUD?

* At the far right of the "36" one sees a short vertical bar. Truncated something? (EDIT: Must be markers between heading digits?)

Edited by Lupson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The flight path marker is exactly that. There is no numerical airspeed indication in the HUD, but the "tailfin" on the flight path marker can detach from the circle that represents the aircraft body to tell you if you're going too fast or too slow. If the tailfin hovers above the marker, you're going faster than your current planned speed (appropriate glide slope speed during landing, or planned speed entered in the nav computer for your current leg during normal flight); if it descends into the circle you're going too slow, and if it starts blinking while doing that, that's a stall warning: you're at a critically low speed and must increase throttle/lower nose immediately to avoid the stall. During takeoff the flight path marker behaves slightly differently (it's effectively an attitude marker only) but I won't go into that right now, read the SFI if you want the gory details (SFI AJS37 del 1 kap 1 flik 17 punkt 4.3).

"3,0" on the horizontal line is your current altitude, 3.0km (the Swedish decimal separator is traditionally a comma). Below 995 meters the display changes to meters shown with three digits (000-990). Above 9.9 km the display wraps around and you need to add 10km to it yourself, so a displayed number of 1,2 can mean either 1200 meters or 11200 meters.

Trivia: while in aiming mode, the numerical altitude moves to the right side of the HUD while the trigger is depressed.

35 and 36 are indeed heading in degrees divided by 10, and the small vertical line to bottom right is a 5-degree marker, like you suspected.

+5/-5 is attitude above/below horizon, as you say.

The vertical bars are the best part of the Viggen HUD. I haven't seen anything like them in any other HUD I can recall. They are a quick way to tell you if your flight path is currently on the planned altitude. Imagine that the bars form a colonnade stretching off into the distance ahead of you. You want to fly along the tops of the columns, so to do this you align the tops of the bars with the artificial horizon. If you do that, you're at the planned altitude (as per the nav path). If the tops of the bars are above the horizon, you're too low (you're flying below the tops of the bars and looking "up" into the colonnade) and vice versa.

If you're below 500 meters, there's also an extra bar to each side with the length 100 meters, so you can gain a visual estimate of how tall the bars are. In the screenshot the aircraft is way above the planned altitude.

Not present in the screenshot is the second best part; the timeline. The timeline is a horizontal bar with three "notches" on it that starts out pretty long and shrinks from both ends towards its center to indicate time or distance left to objective (nav waypoint, bomb release point, that kind of thing). It can even tell you if you're in engagement range for your heaters or not.

e: I don't have enough experience with flight path markers to know if the Viggens' is weird or not, but here's the explanation of what its position means:

zEOSZaP.png

Edited by renhanxue
  • Like 3

There is plenty more coming, lots of buttonology- and remember, on the 10th the Viggen makes its live combat debut in the grudgematch. :)

Don't care ! Release it before Christmas because I will be far from my computer all the next year ! :D

54856-200.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

renhanxue: Thanks for the explanations! That the 3.0 was the altitude I should have figured out by myself...

The HUD is indeed quite different from what most of us are used to from Falcon 4.0, A-10C and other aircraft that has been simulated in mainstream "games" over the years. Not having the airspeed in the HUD will probably be a bit annoying at first (though the mach meter is located quite OK) but the speed delta for the next waypoint in the FPM will certainly help.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The HUD is indeed quite different from what most of us are used to from Falcon 4.0, A-10C and other aircraft that has been simulated in mainstream "games" over the years. Not having the airspeed in the HUD will probably be a bit annoying at first (though the mach meter is located quite OK)

Welcome to the 3rd Generation, where the HUDs are basically gunsights and the fights are rear-aspect!:thumbup: