PSA: How the mav sight works!

Pocket Sized

There seems to be a lot of confusion over this little Swedish cylinder of magic to the right of the HUD.

Basically, it makes an illusion that gives a screen much bigger than would fit in such a small package.

To the eye it looks like a relatively big screen mounted some distance behind the opening of the sight. If you want to see the whole thing you must move your head around or move closer, much like a HUD.

In the sight will be the usual maverick crosshairs/aiming cross, and because we will get the B maverick, likely the corners that show if it's zoomed or not. (There may be other symbology that I'm not aware of)

(Somewhere in the depths of the Viggen discussion thread there is a much more detailed explanation including actual measurements and optical diagrams but ain't nobody got time for that)

Edited by Pocket Sized

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

if anyone wants to google it its called a Virtual Image Display. This is what SAAB has to say about it:

Virtual Image Display (VID)

The Maverick air-to-ground missile was integrated in the Viggen system during the 1970`s. There was no space for the TV rangefinder on the instrument panel in the cockpit, which the pilot needed to lock on targets. The solution to this problem was the Virtual Image Display, which was installed to the right of the HUD. Another term used for VID is HLD – Head Level Display. The VID contains of HUD related optics without reflecting glass and 90 degree prism, and the optics presents a virtual picture which gives the pilot the impression of a larger screen floating in the air at a comfortable distance. An important characteristic of VID is that a picture watched on distance is much easier to read in turbulent and shaky environment compared to an image featured in the instrument panel. This makes VID excellent also in ground combat vehicles

Source

Yes that is a pretty good explanation of it.

I guess it is the same as the IRV-camera in the CV90 who also got a very similiar device (I guess...). Sure, it is not big but it is very good and comfy to use and it feels much bigger than it is.

This is a picture from a LvKv90, IRV camera. You can see the contour of the "camera monitor" as a round, light green shape around the picture.

WBXyCA5.png

Edited by Kilrah

ASUS Z370, i7 8086K @ 5,2 Ghz, ASUS Strix GTX 1080, 16GB Ram, TM HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR 5, Saitek combat rudders, 25" 1440p monitor, Oculus Rift

That sounds good.

Also:

Quote:

Just haven't done the snap key yet.

Will be shown during our announcement week now.

I think this might mean they will release this before the year ends. However I don't think ED would want it to get in the way of the spitfire sales.

Apparently they submitted the first QA build to ED last friday, back when Razbam said the same thing the Mirage was released a few weeks later. So before the end of the year isn't impossible. And to be honest, the Spitfire and Viggen are two completely different beasts that will most likely interest completely different groups of simmers, i doubt they will be competing for the same money. :-)

Regarding the "now" i wouldn't put to much emphasis on it, what he meant was "We will show it now during the announcement week", and the announcement week is this week, it has nothing to do with the release date really.

One thing i noticed them mentioning not being completely finished is the BK-90, the programmer is still working on that apparently. :-)

Edited by RaXha

I think this might mean they will release this before the year ends. However I don't think ED would want it to get in the way of the spitfire sales.

Spitfire sales are already going on. Besides that, the two aircraft don't really compete with each other.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well, If the customer can shoose between a rickety flimsy ww2 prop plane and a modern jets with 2 different shiny systems in the cockpit, for the same price, then the Spitfire is going to lose out.

And ED gets 100% of the spitfire cut, while they only get 60% from the viggen (guess).

So yes I am 100% sure the Viggen will not be out before the year ends.

• Like 1

What sort of effective detection range are we looking at, for an AGM-65B operated through the VID?

I assume 'lock' is a matter of resting the crosshairs on a target -- it's not an actively pressed button or some such? I can't find references in renhanxue's flight manuals from 75.

Well, If the customer can shoose between a rickety flimsy ww2 prop plane and a modern jets with 2 different shiny systems in the cockpit, for the same price, then the Spitfire is going to lose out.

And ED gets 100% of the spitfire cut, while they only get 60% from the viggen (guess).

That's not how it works.

ED has access to a developer build of the Viggen. They play with it and when they decide it's finished enough to release, presto it's out and all of our wallets become a bit lighter.

You can't compare the Spit and the Viggen. Up until LN's trailers I'm fairly certain there were more people on the edge do their seat for the Spit than people who knew what a Viggen was.

Edited by Pocket Sized

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

What sort of effective detection range are we looking at, for an AGM-65B operated through the VID?

I assume 'lock' is a matter of resting the crosshairs on a target -- it's not an actively pressed button or some such? I can't find references in renhanxue's flight manuals from 75.

I assume it locks automatically when the seeker finds a target in the center of the crosshairs just like the mavericks does on any other aircraft.

That's not how it works.

ED has access to a developer build of the Viggen. They play with it and when they decide it's finished enough to release, presto it's out and all of our wallets become a bit lighter.

You can't compare the Spit and the Viggen. Up until LN's trailers I'm fairly certain there were more people on the edge do their seat for the Spit than people who knew what a Viggen was.

I think spacehamster is just trolling. He is spewing his out of the blue "speculations" about release dates, ppls Aircraft preferences etc. to kinda piss ppl off i think. I just skip to the next post when i see that its from him.

The audiences for both are different. The very existence of a WWII section should be indicative of that. There is an immense base for the piston fighters of old and many of them will prefer a legend like the Spitfire over a relatively obscure strike fighter from the Cold War.

I doubt that it's near 60%, probably less. Even then, why would they say no to profit? That's an excellent way to ruin things. Very few people hyped for the Viggen or any other Cold War fighter are going to say "Welp, might as well get the Spitfire!" if it isn't available. So, if it doesn't come out until January, it's because the QA department wanted something addressed and not because ED felt it'd cut into sales.

That'd be a very stupid move.

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

First of all: don't feed the troll.

Speculation of how profits are shared between 3rd party devs and ED is beyond the scope of this thread (and probably confidential; nobody who actually knows anything about this would ever tell us).

And to sum it all up: don't feed the troll.

That sounds good.

Also:

I don't really get this argument for delaying or staggering releases. These aren't like movies from the same studio being released that only have a limited amount of time for their theater runs so one could take away sales from another, even though completely different movies. This is not that kind of product. I pre-ordered the Spit already. If the Vig is put on sale today, I would get it today. One is not taking away from the other. If a person can only afford one of the two, they will get the one they want most right now and maybe a secondary choice down the road. I would not assume someone is buying modules they do not really want just because it is available. There are modules I have passed on because I just don't have the desire for them. Even though I could own them all if I chose too. It just makes no sense for a product like this to delay selling one because another is also made available at the same time.

I mean would you make more money after selling something for 6 months or 8 months?

First of all: don't feed the troll.

Speculation of how profits are shared between 3rd party devs and ED is beyond the scope of this thread (and probably confidential; nobody who actually knows anything about this would ever tell us).

And to sum it all up: don't feed the troll.

True dat

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

The audiences for both are different. The very existence of a WWII section should be indicative of that. There is an immense base for the piston fighters of old and many of them will prefer a legend like the Spitfire over a relatively obscure strike fighter from the Cold War.

I doubt that it's near 60%, probably less. Even then, why would they say no to profit? That's an excellent way to ruin things. Very few people hyped for the Viggen or any other Cold War fighter are going to say "Welp, might as well get the Spitfire!" if it isn't available. So, if it doesn't come out until January, it's because the QA department wanted something addressed and not because ED felt it'd cut into sales.

That'd be a very stupid move.

I think there is a pretty large segment of the customerbase that are not flight sim fans.

What? You might say.

I don't even like flight sims. However I still own almost every module except for the Hawk, CC101 because they are substandard products. And I am still very sorry about the halfbaked Mirage I bought.

I even bought the Albatros, and all ww2 planes.

Why? Not because I like flightsims. Because I like playing with a complex machine. And that is why DCS provides. A highly interactive game where you get to handle a complex aircraft.

And if one breaks down each dcs module to the level of cockpit complexity or clickable switches, then the Mi8, Mig21, and the Viggen are very fun to play. Because of the complexity it provides.

The ww2 planes however are all the same unless you want to geek out on aerodynamics.

And for the non-flight-sim customer, a viggen next to a spitfire will make the spitfire look very boring, simply for the lack of stuff to click.

I think there is a pretty large segment of the customerbase that are not flight sim fans.

What? You might say.

I don't even like flight sims. However I still own almost every module except for the Hawk, CC101 because they are substandard products. And I am still very sorry about the halfbaked Mirage I bought.

I even bought the Albatros, and all ww2 planes.

Why? Not because I like flightsims. Because I like playing with a complex machine. And that is why DCS provides. A highly interactive game where you get to handle a complex aircraft.

And if one breaks down each dcs module to the level of cockpit complexity or clickable switches, then the Mi8, Mig21, and the Viggen are very fun to play. Because of the complexity it provides.

The ww2 planes however are all the same unless you want to geek out on aerodynamics.

And for the non-flight-sim customer, a viggen next to a spitfire will make the spitfire look very boring, simply for the lack of stuff to click.

As you said, you own all the WW2 aircraft despite you don't like them as much as the more modern ones, so I don't see a problem here...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I'd say to slow down with the assumptions there hamster...

ehhhh before you kneejerk too hard, he might actually be right -- it's appalling how common it is to bump into people on dcs who dont actually give a rats ass about flying

they're not the ones propping up the community though.

ehhhh before you kneejerk too hard, he might actually be right -- it's appalling how common it is to bump into people on dcs who dont actually give a rats ass about flying

they're not the ones propping up the community though.

DCS was the first flight sim game for me that was fun, because it was not just about flying but about a full 3d cockpit with clickable stuff.