Rb 04E: the Viggen's signature weapon

renhanxue

It blows my mind that they were able to make targeting logic this complex (and fairly compact) without the use of transistors, and in 1961 no less, 16 years after the end of WWII where all of the weapons were dumb. I realise this is an upgraded version but im guessing the original Rb 04 was fairly close to the Rb 04E

While their not even in the same league as the Rb-4 and most weren't used until very late in the war. There were several guided munitions used during WW 2.

Most were command guided but there were some autonomous weapons like the ASM-N-2 Bat and the VB-6 Felix.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASM-N-2_Bat

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VB-6_Felix

Thanks for being the RB-4 into its own sub-forum.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

When i visited the small Swedish Missile Museum in Arboga i talked to the staff there and they told me the Gyro control unit was actually a direct development of the V1 missile which had been reverse engineered and fine tuned (an extra gyro was added for roll stabilization the V1 could famously be flipped over to make it crash).

6819669963_91737f942a_o.jpgRB-04E and RBS-15 side by side by AdurianJ, on Flickr

RB304A prototype (the A and B where prototypes)

6819669281_e1f6d8fefa_o.jpgRb04A by AdurianJ, on Flickr

Guidance section of the Rb04C

6819668981_ac2dea9dbf_o.jpgRB04C Guidance section by AdurianJ, on Flickr

Weapons

Edited by AdurianJ
  • Like 3

Are those valves (vacuum tubes) there in those cans ?

OS:Win10 Home CPU:i7 3770K 3.5(@4.3GHz) COOLER:ZalmanCNPS10X-PERFORMA MOBO:GigabyteGA-Z77X-UD5H SSD#1:SamsungEVO850Pro 500GB SSD#2:SanDisk240GB HDD:2x Seagate2TB GFX:GigabyteGTX670 WF3 2GB OC1058MHz RAM:16GB 16000MHz DDR3 KEYB'Ds:Corsair K95/MS SidewinderX4 MOUSE:LogitechG700s MON:2x ASUS 24” ROUTER:ASUS RT-N66U DarkKnight INTERWEBS:Fibre152Mbps/12Mbps JOYSTICK:TM T16000m Modded THROTTLE:TM TWCS HEADTRACK:TrackIR5Pro

• 1 month later...
It blows my mind that they were able to make targeting logic this complex (and fairly compact) without the use of transistors, and in 1961 no less, 16 years after the end of WWII where all of the weapons were dumb. I realise this is an upgraded version but im guessing the original Rb 04 was fairly close to the Rb 04E

Analogue control systems theory :-)

Some extremely intelligent resources spent lots of time and money on these types of problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is by far one of the most outstanding threads I've seen on this site in a long time, thanks very much Renhanxue for posting that extremely detailed description of the missile & how it works :thumbup:

My toughts exactly ... really amazing thread; I discovered it thanks to a link from xxJohnxx's Rb04 video at YouTube

:)

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 4 years later...
4 hours ago, IDontLikeBigbrother said:

Hi, can I translate this article to Chinese and post it on website? There are plenty Chinese dcs players, but aren't many nice articles due to the language obstacles.

I will certainly mention your credit!

I recommend to notifiy him like this (@renhanxue), so he actually get's a notification of your request :wink:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

9 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

I recommend to notifiy him like this (@renhanxue), so he actually get's a notification of your request :wink:

I actually sent him a private message:)

But yeah, it's a good advice.

@renhanxue

Hi, can I translate this article to Chinese and post it on website? There are plenty of Chinese dcs players, but aren't many nice articles due to the language obstacles.

Hope you can notice the message : )

• 3 weeks later...
  • IronMike pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
On 11/26/2021 at 2:23 AM, IDontLikeBigbrother said:

I actually sent him a private message:)

But yeah, it's a good advice.

@renhanxue

Hi, can I translate this article to Chinese and post it on website? There are plenty of Chinese dcs players, but aren't many nice articles due to the language obstacles.

Hope you can notice the message : )

I responded to the PM all the way back in November but never posted here for some reason, so just to put this out there: if anyone else wants to do this for any language, by all means go ahead! I'm very happy that the writeup is interesting to others. Also, feel free to link to your translations in this thread so people who encounter the English version first can find translations from here too. 🙂 

Edited by renhanxue

• 6 months later...

Also make sure you set the switches. Don't use GRUPP unless you are completely sure the ships qualify as a group as defined in the manual. Otherwise the missiles will fly right past the ships looking for a group. 

• Like 3

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

• 3 months later...
On 9/10/2022 at 3:18 AM, Machalot said:

Also make sure you set the switches. Don't use GRUPP unless you are completely sure the ships qualify as a group as defined in the manual. Otherwise the missiles will fly right past the ships looking for a group. 

Angle jump settings also seem to cause a significant drop in Pk from the missiles. I have 10 ships in a 1+3+3+3 box formation on my range with the main group being within 2.7km both in lateral and trail distance and last me and a buddy fired missiles one hit and the other three ended up doing a wild last minute turn to try and hit their targets but ended up going above and splashing right behind.

Unsure if it's just setup errors, if the missiles really need a very cooperative target, or if it's a bug of some kind but it makes using them a bit underwhelming.

8 minutes ago, TheSkipjack95 said:

Angle jump settings also seem to cause a significant drop in Pk from the missiles. I have 10 ships in a 1+3+3+3 box formation on my range with the main group being within 2.7km both in lateral and trail distance and last me and a buddy fired missiles one hit and the other three ended up doing a wild last minute turn to try and hit their targets but ended up going above and splashing right behind.

Unsure if it's just setup errors, if the missiles really need a very cooperative target, or if it's a bug of some kind but it makes using them a bit underwhelming.

A track would be very useful. Or provide the mission file so others can test it themselves. 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

Rubbish04.trk

So I had a few goes with this setup, changing settings to see if that makes a difference, and it's only ever one missile that tracks and hits.
This track was with right missile angle jump and random target selection within a group.

As you can see launch is within parameters and the left missile has ships well within its cone but it just does not track.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...