Backing up control profiles to Dropbox

I'm running DCS v1.5 and v2 and I'm finding keeping my control profiles in syn across the two version is a pain.

Could I just move all my control profiles to a folder in Dropbox and just load and save them as necessary from there.

That way I only have to maintain one set of profiles and also they are backed up automatically by Dropbox.

Does that sound like a good idea or am I going to have a bad time?

Not sure about Dropbox, but I was using a .cmd file with some xcopy /s /d /Y commands to synchronize my folders before launching DCS. That was before I gave up on 2.0 alfa. Waiting for 2.5 to have a fresh install...

• Like 1

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

Thanks, so in theory there shouldn't be any problems doing it with Dropbox?

Yes it works. With some scheduled batch files and scripts you can also automate the process and store several versions based on for example date.

I use a sync software that syncs needed files once a week to my dropbox folder (thursdays) so that I am ready to apply the friday updates without risking loosing my controls.

I sort the configs using date folders in a Dropbox folder. I can run a simple copy script to apply a certain configuration to either 1.5 or 2.0.

I mostly run 1.5 but sometimes I copy it over to 2.x just to try the new updates.

Right now I have 30 generation controls stored there... time to clean up I guess ;-)

• Like 1

Regards

HoBBiS

Simpit: i7 8700k, 64GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, Oculus Rift-S, Grip: Virpil Constellation Alpha. Throttle: Virpil Mongoos T-50CM2 all mounted on a IKEA office chair with the Monstertech office chair kit.

But depending on how DCS calls the files, the added latency may slow it down. If Inverted means pointing DCS to Dropbox drive.

I don't know how often it calls for the files.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

@hansangb, yes you're right I was intending to have Dropbox as the main config repository.

So when ever I do a config load or save it would be directly from the Dropbox folder.

The Dropbox folder is on an SSD so load times shouldn't be a problem ... hopefully.

Oh, right. You meant the local copy of it. I thought you meant keeping it all up on the Dropbox w/o local instance.

But I don't know if it will help you any. I don't know if 2.x and 1.5x can use the same folder or not. Haven't checked. But hopefully, the merge happens 1H 2017 and we don't have to worry about it! :)

I really wish they had a master/hierarchical system to configs. I wish could tell *all* modules flap will be this, gear up/down is this etc. Oh well.

Edited by hansangb
  • Like 1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

working on some simple batch scripts, will post here if I am successful anytime in near future ;-)

Regards

HoBBiS

Simpit: i7 8700k, 64GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, Oculus Rift-S, Grip: Virpil Constellation Alpha. Throttle: Virpil Mongoos T-50CM2 all mounted on a IKEA office chair with the Monstertech office chair kit.

I'm running DCS v1.5 and v2 and I'm finding keeping my control profiles in syn across the two version is a pain.

Could I just move all my control profiles to a folder in Dropbox and just load and save them as necessary from there.

That way I only have to maintain one set of profiles and also they are backed up automatically by Dropbox.

Yup, having two sets of control inputs is definitely a pain in the neck!

What I did to remedy the situation is to create a symbolic link.

So no matter where I change inputs (either in 1.5 or 2.0) they are immediately effective in both versions (no need to copy anything or run any sync script).

It makes waiting for the merge a lot more bearable ;)

So here is how it goes:

In the folder "X:\users\<user>\Saved Games" you type in the command line:

mklink /J DCS.openalpha\Config\Input DCS\Config\Input

link.thumb.PNG.68de0f662a7d07be2f8be93a1d6d14c1.PNG

This creates a link from DCS\Config\Input (i.e. where the real files are) to DCS.openalpha\Config\Input (where the links are created).

Of course, prior to that you have to rename the original folder DCS.openalpha\Config\Input to something else or the link cannot be created.

Edited by funkyfranky

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

So no matter where I change inputs (either in 1.5 or 2.0) they are immediately effective in both versions (no need to copy anything or run any sync script).

so simple.. :-) GREAT!

• Like 1

Regards

HoBBiS

so simple.. :-) GREAT!

Tusen tack ;)

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

So here is how it goes:

In the folder "X:\users\<user>\Saved Games" you type in the command line:

[ATTACH]152939[/ATTACH]

This creates a link from DCS\Config\Input (i.e. where the real files are) to DCS.openalpha\Config\Input (where the links are created).

Of course, prior to that you have to rename the original folder DCS.openalpha\Config\Input to something else or the link cannot be created.

I'm green at this. Could you please describe how I get to that command prompt ?

Thanx

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Click on the START button and type: cmd

Command Prompt will show up. Hit ENTER to open it up.

The type the following WITH the quotes:

cd "C:\users\WindowsUserHere\Saved Games"

You need to replace THIS part with your windows name.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Click on the START button and type: cmd

Command Prompt will show up. Hit ENTER to open it up.

The type the following WITH the quotes:

cd "C:\users\WindowsUserHere\Saved Games"

You need to replace THIS part with your windows name.

Can't seem to get it.

I'm getting this at the Command Prompt; C:\Users\Owner>

My Saved Games folder is found here; C:\Users\Owner\Saved Games

Please resubmit what entry should look like.

Appreciate your help.

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

I'm getting this at the Command Prompt; C:\Users\Owner>

My Saved Games folder is found here; C:\Users\Owner\Saved Games

Please resubmit what entry should look like.

Okay, assuming that your windows user name is "owner" (which is a bit unusual) you should do this:

cd "C:\Users\Owner\Saved Games"

Before that, please don't forget rename your folder "C:\Users\Owner\Saved Games\DCS.openalpha" to something like "C:\Users\Owner\Saved Games\DCS.openalpha.backup". You can do that in the windows explorer.

Thank you Hansangb and funkyfranky. Appears the problem was that I didn't have a space between cd and "C:\.

Funkyfranky, in your original post you suggested changing name of "input" folder, whereas in your last post you specify the DCS.openalpha" folder.

Can 3 versions be linked? (DCS, beta, and open alpha)

BTW, "Owner" is the Windows default designation.

Thank you again Gentlemen, very much.

Edited by Chic

JUST CHOPPERS

Funkyfranky, in your original post you suggested changing name of "input" folder, whereas in your last post you specify the DCS.openalpha" folder.

Sorry, I made a mistake in the last post! You only need to rename the folder C:\Users\Owner\Saved Games\DCS.openalpha\Config\Input

Can 3 versions be linked? (DCS, beta, and open alpha)

Yes, you can do the analogue thing for the openbeta. Just exchange DCS.openalpha to DCS.openbeata in all the commands above, i.e.

cd "C:\Users\Owner\Saved Games"
mklink /J DCS.openbeta\Config\Input DCS\Config\Input

And before rename the folder C:\Users\Owner\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\Input

Great stuff.

Very much appreciated.

JUST CHOPPERS

• 7 months later...

Thank's FunkyF for a great tip :D

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

I'm green at this. Could you please describe how I get to that command prompt ?

Thanx

BTW, for those that need A-Z instructions, I made a quick video. Including getting to the command prompt.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3204198&postcount=10

Hope that helps.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---