Radar screen/auto aiming inaccurate?

Pocket Sized

Using the right ctrl + F10 radar screen you can automatically track and (in theory) aim any ground vehicle that has a spinning search radar.

I've found the Gepard and Tunguska try to follow the gun solution pipper but lag behind just enough to pretty much always miss. The Tunguska's beam riding missiles are slightly better but it's far from perfect.

Was there a point in time where this feature could be used for aiming? It seems like the gains are set far too low (tracking is too mushy) or am I doing something wrong?

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Don't know but I always thought that manually controlled weapons were meant to be manually controlled.

But they aren't manually controlled as far as I'm aware, especially "modern" systems like the Tunguska or Tor. You have a fully fledged fire control radar + ballistic computer, so why spoil it by putting a human in the loop? They have manually controlled backup modes much like what we have now (crosshair + joystick)

I know that the systems modelling and functionality of the radar are way outside the scope of CA. But the automatic tracking could be greatly improved by tightening gains used for following the lead calculation.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Think you are right that the way the capabilities of air defence units are presented in DCS is too game-like.

I played around with this stuff when it first came out for CA and was able to make some really interesting mods that allowed to direct Air Defence in a more executive fashion.

One mod allowed units with the capability to use automatic tracking at all times but only launch at your command. Large benefit to air defence missile complex and point defence complex Tunguska/Tor.

Other mod was used to allow you to manually control an optical director unit and use that to designate targets for a group of anti-air guns with radar predictors. It worked VERY well against suitable targets.

Changes to DCS broke these mods. I was trying to make them work in VR at the time because that was my main interest.

It is easy to see the potential in CA but in reality it may never be possible to unlock the full potential. This is OK ... DCS is primarily a flight sim and sim development is hard.