Fear of the Dark

Cobra847

Looks really good! The cockpit definitely matches the high bar set by the Mig-21.

Question on the cockpit lighting, especially the green glow from the radar. Wouldn't the sweeping bar on the radar, considering it's a really bright source of light, be reflected in the glow around the radar and on the various parts of the cockpit geometry? Or, is it just not yet possible with DCS's lighting system?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank You Cobra and your colleges at Leatherneck. This video is marvellous, what an informative teaser. I will almost only fly at night is the feeling after seen this :D

This aircraftmodule will i think propably be the golden standard for years to come (I know a little early to say this at this stage. But I likewise think it will be). I am so happy, soon Viggen is here

Nice vid!

Did you get any feedback from ED if they´re happy with your work?

HW-Specs: Ryzen 5800x | Gigaybte RTX 3080 | 32Gb DDR4-4000 | 2x M.2 970Evo + SSDs| LG 34" 21:9

Peripherie: Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Slew-Mod + Nyogel) + MFG Crosswind Pedals | SimShaker Jetpad | HP Reverb G2

Thank you cobra for the show! --- At first I thought, you are doing the, by now , famous split S in front of us all and with special focus on the altimeter readings, but after a review it looks more like a sharp diving excercise. Anyway really looking forward to lay my hands on your excellent piece of work.

Also, WOW that acceleration is really something!

From Mach .55 to 1.05 took very little time, and that was while maneuvering AND with full internal + some in the external fuel tank!

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Swedish airplans has always had true preformance figures.. They are designed to be able to reach thier specified speed requirements with external loads. Most other airplanes can't even get close to thier published performance as soon as something is hanging on to it.

That and the userfriendly pilot interface and easy maintenance has always been the stregth for all SAAB aircraft.

Yep.. imagine that in DCS 2.5 with PBR, new HDR, new lightning system.. deferred shading.. oh my god.

Agreed, it's going to be absolutely stunning.

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

Am I the only one who is amazed by the resolution of the radar display? Those lines are SO SHARP! It seriously looks like a modern ink display IMO. Also the way it sweeps and clears/fills sections of the display is satisfying to watch.

(Not criticizing LN's implementation, as I'm sure there's no noticeable difference between in game and real life... I'm genuinely impressed by how good such an old display looks)

I know that there's a red transonic warning in the top right of the panel, but what about the much bigger red light near the radar? Also, the ominous beep we hear is GPWS right? Amazing video in all aspects!

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Am I the only one who is amazed by the resolution of the radar display? Those lines are SO SHARP! It seriously looks like a modern ink display IMO. Also the way it sweeps and clears/fills sections of the display is satisfying to watch.

(Not criticizing LN's implementation, as I'm sure there's no noticeable difference between in game and real life... I'm genuinely impressed by how good such an old display looks)

I know that there's a red transonic warning in the top right of the panel, but what about the much bigger red light near the radar? Also, the ominous beep we hear is GPWS right? Amazing video in all aspects!

Here is an example of an APG 76, the radar of the F15E.

It was tested and completed by 1995

APG-76-Spot-6.jpg

APG-76-MTI-1.jpg

what about the much bigger red light near the radar? Also, the ominous beep we hear is GPWS right? Amazing video in all aspects!

here

They actually do have a warning system.

The lamp left of the radar screen starts to flash at 5Hz 7s before the calculated impact time. The hud also starts flashing, in most modes.

There's a whole segment dedicated to it in "SFI AJS37 del 1" on "flik 23".

Image from the manual.

rnIPNde.png

Here is an example of an APG 76, the radar of the F15E

The F-15E radar is the APG-70, not APG-76.

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great nightlight in the cockpit. However the radar screen in green is a bit bright. I remember reading about a optical filter that was used to make the screen dark red/orange/brown for nightflights. Should be the selector wheel to the left of the scope.

Would be great if that also was incorporated in the sim. :-)

Great nightlight in the cockpit. However the radar screen in green is a bit bright. I remember reading about a optical filter that was used to make the screen dark red/orange/brown for nightflights. Should be the selector wheel to the left of the scope.

Would be great if that also was incorporated in the sim. :-)

Agree. What be awesome to had red, pink or yellow radar

- legitscoper

My specs:

Windows 8.1 Laptop Lenovo Y50 intel core i7 Nvidia GTX 860M, 8gb RAM, 275GB SSD

About that radar...

Same impression here as @Pocket_Sized, I have seen a few radar pictures in my life and that one - as great as it looks - instantly made me wonder: Does it display a stored map and overlay some radar echoes over that? That's a radar from the 60s, maybe upgraded at a later point (I don't know), my initial reaction was "NO WAY" because even radars developed 20 years later look more... grainy.

Maybe the video doesn't show it (I'll have to see once the Viggen is released, the radar display in the video is small so it might look different) or I miss an important detail, but I had expected something way more grainy.

EDIT: Especially from low altitude like in the video. Radar shadows make the picture even worse there, even on rather new radars. @il_corleone posted a good example, that was taken from medium or high altitude, so you can actually see all those details and don't have many shadows.

EDIT2: It _might_ work with a rather flat coast though, even on low level. So I am not saying it can't be correct, it just looks very different from what I expected.

Edited by Aginor

About that radar...

Same impression here as @Pocket_Sized, I have seen a few radar pictures in my life and that one - as great as it looks - instantly made me wonder: Does it display a stored map and overlay some radar echoes over that? That's a radar from the 60s, maybe upgraded at a later point (I don't know), my initial reaction was "NO WAY" because even radars developed 20 years later look more... grainy.

Maybe the video doesn't show it (I'll have to see once the Viggen is released, the radar display in the video is small so it might look different) or I miss an important detail, but I had expected something way more grainy.

EDIT: Especially from low altitude like in the video. Radar shadows make the picture even worse there, even on rather new radars. @il_corleone posted a good example, that was taken from medium or high altitude, so you can actually see all those details and don't have many shadows.

EDIT2: It _might_ work with a rather flat coast though, even on low level. So I am not saying it can't be correct, it just looks very different from what I expected.

Well I have to disagree

This is an image from the radar of the F18 in DCS

DBS-radar.jpg

You can see grainy things of course but you can see the shilouette of the carrier, vehicles without problems on the airstrip and also the electrical towers alongside the river.

In this one, from the viggen you would only see a dot for the carrier, even you will have problems to see big vehicles in this plainn area, this is Anapa

0a49c979d2a66655863ef6b292925ac5.png

I don´t know the % of grain it should have but I can clearly seen how the advances in radar can be with this both images.

Also, as you can see, the important thing here is the resolution, in the Viggen,s radar the ground is like a piece of fur :D

EDIT: And also here, you can clearly see that resolution is worse in all aspects but you can manage to see what is a river, and wher are the forest areas

7lWUnFa.jpg

Edited by il_corleone

That's a radar from the 60s, maybe upgraded at a later point (I don't know), my initial reaction was "NO WAY" because even radars developed 20 years later look more... grainy.

^If you mean grainy as in lots of small radar returns, that's a good thing, means you have high resolution. Then it's up to software to filter the picture and show you moving targets, buildings and so on.