Fear of the Dark

Cobra847

Sorry for my "Paint skills" but on the Viggen we should be seeing something even worse than this.

12b86ca549ca4e05e45a70cb0c2f8b6c.png 114222cd9ccb276e72b4501c14032439.png

I just adjusted colors and lowered the resolution. Contacts disapeared! (Also edited the aircraftcarrier). Add to this a "No zoom situation" and you will find what a radar of the 70,s looks

Edited by il_corleone

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^If you mean grainy as in lots of small radar returns, that's a good thing, means you have high resolution. Then it's up to software to filter the picture and show you moving targets, buildings and so on.

Yeah, not quite, with grainy I meant not only pixelated but a lot of bright returns where no objects of interest are, and a lot of small-ish shadows that look light dark spots. So, like a lot of grains lying around, allowing to recognize coast lines by their shape. And you can either turn the contrast up high, losing the shapes, or you can turn it down to see the shapes better, but then you can't distinguish small contacts as well.

But basically @il_corleone's photoshop doesn't look too bad as a starting point for what I would expect. Perhaps a _tad_ too blurry.

Yeah, not quite, with grainy I meant not only pixelated but a lot of bright returns where no objects of interest are, and a lot of small-ish shadows that look light dark spots. So, like a lot of grains lying around, allowing to recognize coast lines by their shape. And you can either turn the contrast up high, losing the shapes, or you can turn it down to see the shapes better, but then you can't distinguish small contacts as well.

But basically @il_corleone's photoshop doesn't look too bad as a starting point for what I would expect. Perhaps a _tad_ too blurry.

I think it should go with this

5c153554267e2e625813549c1767bc35.png

First blurry

Then Grainy

Then not blurry or grainy, only real contacts

Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for all of your kind comments and support. It means the world to us.

We have a lot more planned for the next few days, but for now-- enjoy some screenshots of the Viggens' night lighting and a very short and raw, unedited video.

Some of you will no doubt notice a few bugs and issues in the night lighting -- fixes in progress! :)

Thanks,

LS

OMFGWTFBBQ! Dat radar scope! :D The effects are nothing short of extraordinary!

OMFGWTFBBQ! Dat radar scope! :D The effects are nothing short of extraordinary!

Yeah, the effects look awesome. I love the colored reflections of the warning lights and the screen.

@radar discussion: Well, to be fair if they post it we don't _quite_ know how it should look like, perhaps only that it is supposed to be 'worse' than a much newer radar like in the Hornet radar picture.

So yeah, while I'd like to see more Viggen radar screen pictures (like everyone else) I would also need some more material about that particular radar (or at least similar radars) in real life.

A Viggen video with some Short snippets displaying the Radar Screen in action.

Personally i think it looks very close to what we have seen from the ingame videos so far =P.

(It shows the Radar in action at 1:15,1:40 and 2:37)

Edited by mattebubben

AFAIK the AJS uses the same or a very similar upgraded PS-371/A radar.

If IIRC they were able to effectively double the PS-37 range by upgrading the computer and changing it's algorithm.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2664291&postcount=1023

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

NFGAyDj3qsWd.jpg

Note that we're still tweaking the radar (e.g. return strenghts of materials, objects, and the graphics), so this is not necessarily representative of the release build! This is in the Log gain mode and with the shortest range setting (15km).

• Like 3

/Daniel

Heatblur Simulations

NFGAyDj3qsWd.jpg

Note that we're still tweaking the radar (e.g. return strenghts of materials, objects, and the graphics), so this is not necessarily representative of the release build! This is in the Log gain mode and with the shortest range setting (15km).

Many Thanks for hearing us! The progress is great! :thumbup:

• Like 1

NFGAy*pic*

That's awesome! Thank you very much! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

That's one good reply @Swither.

On the side note, Damn that cockpit looks good!

[Edit]

I think I've read this somewhere (or I might be dreaming about this fact) that the radar could burn onto the screen. Like a barely-visible overlay portraying an old radar image?

Could someone confirm this and whether it applies to Viggen?

Edited by JaNk0

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Depending on how hard the screen is being pushed in terms of brightness, burn in usually takes many many hours of displaying a static image.

However I imagine the CRT in the radar is rather bright and burn in isn't really a concern because if the radar image isn't moving there is something deeply wrong :D

• Like 1

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

NFGAyDj3qsWd.jpg

Thanks for the picture! One question. Is that the old CVN-77 model mod, or are you guys being cheeki breeki and showing off even more new stuff? Because that doesn't look like the stock Vinson :punk:

Thanks for the picture! One question. Is that the old CVN-77 model mod, or are you guys being cheeki breeki and showing off even more new stuff? Because that doesn't look like the stock Vinson :punk:

Hmm, not sure, but for me it looks more like a Nimitz class than a Forrestal class carrier.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hmm, not sure, but for me it looks more like a Nimitz class than a Forrestal class carrier.

It is most certainly not a Forrestal. It has two elevators forward of the island rather than aft, and the island and flight deck shapes are incorrect. I'm 99.99% sure it's a Nimitz of some sort.

I'm more curious if it's this model...

maxresdefault.jpg

Or if someone in the ED pipeline was being sneaky. It's not a big deal either way.