Cobra847

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? No Iron Maiden soundtrack?! Shame on you :P

Really nice cockpit and lights though.

This! My first thought was "Hmm, someone at Leatherneck is a Maiden fan!"

Awesome video, can;t wait to get to grips with this Swedish monster!

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

I am sorry if this has already been asked, but does the ajs-37 have countermeasures like chaff/flares. I know that it has jammers in pods, so if it does not have chaff or flares inside can you take them in external pods? Tho I think it has them inside (in the very rear, in those little holes under the thrust reverser), I did not see them being used in the grudge match. Or I might be completely blind. :D

P.S

Leatherneck, can you give a rough estimation of how many bugs you still need to work on? Anyways good luck and thx for the amazing work! :D

DCS: MiG-23

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Make it happen, and take my money! :D

I am sorry if this has already been asked, but does the ajs-37 have countermeasures like chaff/flares. I know that it has jammers in pods, so if it does not have chaff or flares inside can you take them in external pods? Tho I think it has them inside (in the very rear, in those little holes under the thrust reverser), I did not see them being used in the grudge match. Or I might be completely blind. :D

P.S

Leatherneck, can you give a rough estimation of how many bugs you still need to work on? Anyways good luck and thx for the amazing work! :D

AJS37 doesn't have internal CM dispenser, but can mount a CM pod.

Yes it has chaff and flare pods, no built in dispensers.

Not quite sure how many flares and chaff they did carry.

Guess it came down was something like 400 chaff and 70 flares per pod.

But there hasnt been a word from LNS so far.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

Hahahaha! Oh well, you can't have it all :megalol:

The primary defence for the Viggen especially against Sams will be low level flying.

Using terrain or just flying very close to the ground to avoid missiles.

And if you fly low enough you dont need countermeasures ^^.

The easiest way to know you are flying at the correct altitude in the Viggen is when you feel the External Fueltank scrape the ground below you.

There were Chaff and Flare Dispensers developed for the JA 37 that did not take up a Weapons Pylon

(Flare Dispensers on small unused hardpoints and Chaff Dispensers mounted on the side of the RB 74 Weapons Pylon)

that entered service in the late 80s and 90s.

And the "hardpoints" they were mounted on apparently also existed on the AJ/AJS 37 they were just never used,

I dont know why they decided to not use those systems on the AJS 37 as well but maby they thought it

as not needed due to the low altitude tactics used by the Attack and Recce Viggens.

When looking at the Viggen there are many times when one wonders why they did

what they or why they did not do X or Y =P.

The Countermeasures are one example of this but there are others as well.

And its hard to know if they had a good reason to it all but we simply dont know =P,

or maby it was budget related or it could be that they simply did what they felt like doing since

Saab and the Swedish airforce always had a tendency to try their own thing and not be mainstream.

Edited by mattebubben

Inner wing Pylons for the Countermeassure / jamming pods.

So the Same pylons as the Anti-Ship Missiles.

Well, in an air-to-air loadout one would need to sacrifice one Rb-74 (AIM-9L) in order to carry the countermeasure dispenser. Don't know if such an asymmetric loadout was possible though?

I guess 2xRb-24J and 3xRb-74 would be quite OK too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And its hard to know if they had a good reason to it all but we simply dont know =P,

or maby it was budget related or it could be that they simply did what they felt like doing since

Saab and the Swedish airforce always had a tendency to try their own thing and not be mainstream.

Non-pod flare dispensers were not standard back in 1970. There were still Phantoms delivered in the mid-70's without them, same with the early Mirage F1. Tornados have to carry a CM pod.

Non-pod flare dispensers were not standard back in 1970. There were still Phantoms delivered in the mid-70's without them, same with the early Mirage F1. Tornados have to carry a CM pod.

Im well aware of this and for the 1970s and early 80s dedicated Chaff/Flare pods were the norm and i dont argue that they should have done anything different to start with.

But Then they had developed the New Countermeasure system and mounted it on the JA 37 i have less understanding why they did not also mount it on the AJS 37 Upgrade that was done during the same timeframe (so it should not have been to expensive or difficult to include it as a part of the upgrade).

Since where as the Dedicated Chaff and Flare pods where more then acceptable in the 70s and early 80s by the late 80s there were better alternatives available For the AJS 37 alternatives that had already been developed and were in service.

On a side note the Countermeasure Pod mentioned that is used by the Tornado (Boz-100 series pods) was designed in Sweden and was based on the KB Pod that is used by the Viggen

but for the Tornado it could be carried as Standard as they did not have to give up a Weapon pylon for it

(Where as the AJ 37 had to give up 1 4th of its Air-Ground Ordnance to carry it and carrying both a Chaff/Flare pod and a Jammer Pod forced you to give up half).

I will probably forgo the countermeasure pod most of the time in favor of more weapons and simply fly lower and faster ^^

(Like a True Viggen pilot).

I will probably forgo the countermeasure pod most of the time in favor of more weapons and simply fly lower and faster ^^

(Like a True Viggen pilot).

I think this is why they didn't include dispensers in the AJS mod. The tactics hadn't changed. Still "in fast, strike hard, get the heck outta Dodge" routine.

Thanks! Seems IR08 is the closest match, i.e. we'll need to sacrifice another Rb-74 to carry the U22 jammer pod as well as the KB countermeasures pod.

RB-24J - KB - RB-74 - ext. tank - RB-74 - U22 - RB-24J

Though I guess it's possible LNS and/or the DCS engine will allow "custom" loadout combinations.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

I have just watched the film (blaming xmas). I have a couple of questions regarding the HUD symbology.

0:53, the fpm is tucked top left of the HUD, while the AC is clearly not headed that way (in a right turn). Why is this?

1:06, the fpm disappears from the HUD. I know that Viggen lacks a pitch ladder, but it's odd that the fpm should disappear from the HUD; i would expect it to get tucked in the to nearest neighbouring position. Is it supposed to disappear like that?