rectifier bypass switch use

Strekaya

One thing I noted that changed between 1.2.16 and 1.5.x was that the rectifier bypass switch on the center console (now described in the sim as a "net on rectifier switch ", but it's the only switch on the center console with a red safety cover on it) either operates differently or not at all.

Back in 1.2.16, for example, I could turn on the batteries and use that switch to link the battery and rectifier buses (presumably through the DMR-200D) and then power things like the radio or the spotlights or anything else on the bus including the secondary radios or the navigation lights, and so on, using just the batteries and not via the APU w/equipment test switch. For emergencies, of course, but it did function like that back then. Since 1.5.x, the switch has no effect.

Now the procedure in case of an in-flight dual generator failure is to also turn on the APU, which will then power the battery bus, though I have to turn on the equipment test switch to also power the rectifier bus. But regardless, the behavior has changed.

Really, the only two direct references I've read regarding the use of this switch are from the "Kazan" and "US Army" manuals, the first in reference to it's use if the ДМР-200Д fails in flight (the red "battery in use" light on the pilot's instrument panel lights up) and the second reference regarding it's use during a dual generator or two rectifier failure.

So if there's a question to ask, it is this: What is the correct behavior for use of this switch? It did something in 1.2.16, but doesn't do anything now.

--

I'm also interested how this switch should work and whether it works correctly now. I have a Polish scheme of the electrical power supply system and it suggests the СЕТЬ НА ВУ switch works the way you describe. But then again I don't know the meaning of the R4 symbol on the scheme in the manual - it's not explained like the others. Perhaps it's significant here?

The switch is used to connect the rectifier buses to the battery buses in the event of a failure of the DMR-200D reverse current relay. Due to diodes that are installed in the system, current can only flow from the rectifier buses to the battery buses, current cannot flow from the battery buses to the rectifier buses using the "MAINS TO RECT" switch.

In the event of a failure of the DMR-200D reverse current relay, the batteries will begin powering the battery buses, since the rectifier buses no longer have a path to ththe battery buses. If you, as the aircrew, were not aware of this, you could end up with dead batteries and a failure of any component powered by the battery bus. So the "MAINS ON BATT" light (or whatever it is depending on the translation of the day) comes on to notify you of this situation, at which time you turn on the "MAINS TO RECT" switch (again depending on translations) to manually connect the rectifier buses to the battery buses.

• Like 1