Oculus Touch support

tom1502

Kuabi, why would it take too long? they are visible in Rift so you can just pick it up, sitting right next to your throttle. Hanging it off the wrist wouldn't work because it would just bang away on the throttle/desktop.

But the "visible in Rift" concerns me a bit. I wonder if it's like Vive. Where you have to hit a button to see it. Otherwise, you'd have this controller sitting in VR blocking your cockpit.

Guess we'll find out shortly.

To flick a switch or turn a knob should be a second nature thing, at the moment I have left/right mouse buttons mapped on my collective so using the vr pointer in dcs I look at the switch and press my programmed button. This probably takes about the same time as flicking a real switch. To flick up, get a clean catch or pick up the touch press a button to activate, point and click must take at least a couple of seconds.EDIT: Then place back into the mount/holder. I'm cack handed so will be at least 3 or 4.

Edited by kuabi

intel i7 6700k overclocked to 4.6, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus z170 pro gaming motherboard, Asus strix 1080, Max flight stick(modded), MFG Crosswind pedals.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think touch controllers can replace the look and click procedure that kuabi describes. Not in high stress situations, at least. Although it would be cool if they could be used for cockpit preparation, start-up and similar low-stress situations. Or if flying multiplayer dual seat. Imagine being a RIO in the Tomcat, or the missile operator of the Gazelle.

This requires the touch controllers to be very precise, which they seem to be, according to the reviews at least.

To flick a switch or turn a knob should be a second nature thing, at the moment I have left/right mouse buttons mapped on my collective so using the vr pointer in dcs I look at the switch and press my programmed button. This probably takes about the same time as flicking a real switch. To flick up, get a clean catch or pick up the touch press a button to activate, point and click must take at least a couple of seconds.EDIT: Then place back into the mount/holder. I'm cack handed so will be at least 3 or 4.

Look and click will always be quicker than using a touch controller but I think that misses the point. Having your hands in VR really increases immersion to an entirely new level. Both options are now available in oculus home (look and click or touch). It's nice to have both options.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

A solution would be to use the left touch with the in-cockpit collective then pressing a button to release so you can flick your switch then put your hand back on the collective and press the button. As your hand is wrapped around the touch and if you visually see the on screen hand on the collective it would feel quite real.

intel i7 6700k overclocked to 4.6, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus z170 pro gaming motherboard, Asus strix 1080, Max flight stick(modded), MFG Crosswind pedals.

For switches, it may be a wash, but for dials/rotary switches, using the mouse can be a hassle. A physical switch would be best, but touch may be better.

Good problems to have!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

For switches, it may be a wash, but for dials/rotary switches, using the mouse can be a hassle. A physical switch would be best, but touch may be better.

Good problems to have!

If you have a spare rotary switch you can program that as a mouse scroll wheel.

The more natural use for the Touch controller would be flying without a physical HOTAS. You just press a Touch button to enter "grabbing mode", then move your hands near the stick or throttle and a snap function renders your hands as if you have grabbed the grip. Press the button again and your hands are free to reach out a switch or button and by pressing the Touch trigger button you could flip or press them

How about that?

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

having it visible in DCS might be a bit of an issue, specially if it renders over switches and displays.

A couple of times I've left a vive controller on during flight to use the virtual pilot glove to block sunlight and yes, it's unpleasant to see that "thing" lying around in the cockpit when the controller isn't at your hand.

what it's fun is to become a kid for a while and pretend you can interact with the cockpit with it, or reach to different parts of the cockpit as if you could feel them.

Would be cool to be able to do hand gestures in MP.

The more natural use for the Touch controller would be flying without a physical HOTAS. You just press a Touch button to enter "grabbing mode", then move your hands near the stick or throttle and a snap function renders your hands as if you have grabbed the grip. Press the button again and your hands are free to reach out a switch or button and by pressing the Touch trigger button you could flip or press them

How about that?

Lol... That's what I said in my previous post.

"A solution would be to use the left touch with the in-cockpit collective then pressing a button to release so you can flick your switch then put your hand back on the collective and press the button. As your hand is wrapped around the touch and if you visually see the on screen hand on the collective it would feel quite real"

How about that?

Flying whitout feeling for the controller? How would you control your inputs ? How would you find stick center? That will be funny

I think the only workable solution will be a gloves thin enough so you can hold and feel throtle and stick with them.

Touch will be nice to try but in combat scenario trackball next to the stick combined with look and flip is much more effective.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Flying whitout feeling for the controller? How would you control your inputs ? How would you find stick center? That will be funny

I think the only workable solution will be a gloves thin enough so you can hold and feel throtle and stick with them.

Touch will be nice to try but in combat scenario trackball next to the stick combined with look and flip is much more effective.

I think because your hand is wrapped around the touch your mind will allow you to think you are holding the stick/collective as it does holding the gun in dead and buried. My cyclic is non self centering so I find the centre by feel of movement in the helecopter by raising the collective slowly and adjusting until it's at centre.

I think because your hand is wrapped around the touch your mind will allow you to think you are holding the stick/collective as it does holding the gun in dead and buried. My cyclic is non self centering so I find the centre by feel of movement in the helecopter by raising the collective slowly and adjusting until it's at centre.

Yeah but you have to hold it in the air, without resting your hand, also even without center you still have some feeling where the stick is.. nah this aint going to work I m pretty sure..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah but you have to hold it in the air, without resting your hand, also even without center you still have some feeling where the stick is.. nah this aint going to work I m pretty sure..

Ok, i've just sat in my pit and loaded up free flight in the huey. I held both touch controllers in respective hands. I normally have my right elbow supported against my body when holding the cyclic and holding the touch in that position felt no different. as long as the virtual hands were holding the on screen cyclic I don't think it would be a problem once the mind gets used to it. The collective was the same. My own problem would be that I have things to the left of my collective which are higher than the in cockpit panels so I would need to move those to get access to the central huey panel.

And another one, how would you use your thumb stick while keep holding the stick when touch cant track your tumb, how would you rotate something, it tracks your hand not your fingers ? And the same goes for all other hotas controls like trimmer, target lock, ptt, TDC for AC that have one and so on, there are too many hotas requried actions in hot situations... I cant see this working effectively anyway.

But again it is just my opinion.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I haven't tried the touch controllers, but from reading reviews it actually keeps track of some of your fingers as well. It registers if your fingers are on the buttons or not. I keep reading about people raving about how precise the fingercontrols are...

And another one, how would you use your thumb stick while keep holding the stick when touch cant track your tumb, how would you rotate something, it tracks your hand not your fingers ? And the same goes for all other hotas controls like trimmer, target lock, ptt, TDC for AC that have one and so on, there are too many hotas required actions in hot situations... I cant see this working effectively anyway.

But again it is just my opinion.

As far as telling if the stick is in the center is not a problem because you have the visual feedback of your stick position in your virtual world. For rotating knobs or using the HOTAS hats you can bind the Touch buttons to this increase/decrease functions and you even have a thumb joystick in the Touch controllers to slew your sensors and trim your aircraft. It won't be like operating the real aircraft but you will have a greater level of inmersion than anything seen yet.

The Touch can "track" your fingers by telling which one is pressing or depressing a button. So it could work...

However, an improved Leap Motion could be the real solution to this

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

I don't mind to be as u say but it wont work.

Buttons on touches are not enough for hotas and you wont be able to fly precise without real controller. It. Will be cool for prestart/start procedures or just flying around but no way in combat.

Anyway it is not supported yet and if it will be we will see

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Remember that not everybody has a Warthog HOTAS with enough buttons...

My rig specs:

The Touch can "track" your fingers by telling which one is pressing or depressing a button. So it could work...

From what I read in reviews, it registers if the finger is just touching the button. So just holding the finger on the button, without pressing, is enough to register. Will be cool to try it out :)

My Touch controllers just left Koeln in Germany, working their way to Northern Norway ;)

Got my Oculus Touch Controllers today!!!

First glance: High quality. Good ergonomics. Very lightweight but way too heavy to have dangling on your wrist when you hold the HOTAS.

Swinging the controllers up into your hand, from hanging in the wristband, actually works! But it's not practial when sitting down. So, for sitting down in a cockpit, like you would in a flightsim, I see no other option other than putting the controllers in a tray, close to your controllers.

Now, let's install and try them out! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I received my Touch today.. After my experience with leap-motion FSX, I thought there is no way this technology would make it in flight sims.. But Oculus Touch changed my mind.. Because Touch is heavy in the hand, it could mimick the weight of throttle and stick very well. I could easily think how Touch can be used as both the Throttle and Stick (you simply grab the Throttle and Stick in the cockpit to use them). There are not as many buttons on the Touch, but not too few either.. There are 8 buttons if I am not mistaken.. Not good for A-10, but should be minimally sufficient for most sims (for example missile trigger, gun trigger, Trim, lock, plus a few others).. The only thing that is missing from Touch is localization fingers exact position, which could allow implementation of virtual switches. I can see that this is only a few years into the future.. I would predict that Touch will be eventually implemented in DCS (with minimal success), and used widely once finger locations can be tracked precisely with next gen controllers (a few years later).

EDIT: By the way, I just tried stowing (hanging) Touch at back of the hand using the wrist band for using the HOTAS, which could allow going back and forth between switches and stick.. it kind of works.. could be a intermediate solution..

Edited by hellking

• 3 weeks later...

I honestly cant imagine why anyone would use the touch controllers for stick and throttle, it just dont work. For cockpit control however its another matter, id love tho have the ability to click around and seeing my hands in there even if i have to pick it up first. But truly, we need gloves and it seems gloves are not far off for the Vive. You got lots of developers doing all kinds of things. Ive tried finding something for the Rift but i cant find anything. So im pretty torn about just cancelling/returning my incoming rift simply cause gloves will probably be here 6 months to a year before on the Vive. Thats unless Oculus comes out with a attachable tracker that's very easy to implement on existing gloves. Thats my opinion anyway. For now the ergonomics on the rift are far ahead but they are being left behind right now, also on the tracking side.

Edit:

For suepr casual stuff where you can rest both hands on your thighs i can work ok but i wouldnt really use it for a dogfight or anything requiring precision

Edited by trigen

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

Attaching a touch-controller to a simple mechanical stick and throttle (with wider than joystick range of motion) would actually do it!

But hard-core would prefer replicas and FFB of course.

A of hands/gloves (hints from Vive), there is solution 4 years in market and solid SDK.

I am ready to send as many LeapMotion controllers to EagleDynamics as needed to get its support into beautiful and detailed cockpits world.