Radar movement angles

MaxDamage

The vertical movement is indicated by a number to the right of your HUD: default is 0, but it can be from like -5 to 15.

What does this number mean?

The short answer: The vertical distance above or below your nose the radar is centered in meters. Add 000 to each number. 1 is 1000, 2 is 2000, -1 is -1000, etc.

There's more involved that I can't get into now because of lack of time. But I'm certain someone else will be along and mention the expected target range and its effect on that vertical elevation number. As long as you leave the expected range at the default "10", you'll probably almost never need to scan much above or below +3 or -3.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Ok thx. I know how geometry works.

So as far as i understood, you set the 10.0 km distance (or 15.0 or w/e) and then shift radar up and down by 1000m at said distance each time you change the number to the right.

1km up at 10 km (~5 degrees up)is twice the shift angle as it would be with 1km at 20 km etc.

Ok thx. I know how geometry works.

So as far as i understood, you set the 10.0 km distance (or 15.0 or w/e) and then shift radar up and down by 1000m at said distance each time you change the number to the right.

1km up at 10 km (~5 degrees up)is twice the shift angle as it would be with 1km at 20 km etc.

Yes. Right Triangle Calculator. Side "a" would be the radar elevation. Side "b" would be the expected target range.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

protip: the vertical bar beside the elevation number on your HUD represents the radar's vertical FoV, and the two dashes sticking out towards it represent your HUD FoV.

If you want to find where a target you are scanning actually is in the sky:

1. maneuver the aircraft until the contact is centered in front of your AC on the HDD,

2. pitch up or down until the two dashes are bracketing the radar scan altitude bar.

3. target is now framed by your HUD.

you can also reverse this process to point the radar at a portion of the sky you specifically wish to scan: put the HUD around it, raise or lower the antenna to line the bar up to the dashes, you are now scanning your target.