Sneak peek of my VR chair build

Torso

Just finished final mock up of the next stage of my VR chair build, Adding my MFD's, and figured I would share how it is coming along. I normally would wait until I was finished but just figured why not toss a pic up now. Can resurrect the thread once dead and I have it finished I figure. I plan to take it all apart and maybe do a build thread when putting it all back together. Just need to do some fabricating first. Not sure how long that will take.

Anyways, the goal is to be in VR and be able to still use all the HOTAS controls, including the MFD's without really needing to see them. I can place them pretty much where they exist in VR cockpit space and just reach out with my hand and with muscle memory and use them. They are multi-position like my jstick. And all can be folded/tucked away so the chair can be used normally. So far testing has proven it is pretty awesome. Anyways , this paired with my MFG Crosswinds and I am golden. I also have 7inch LCD panels that do fit the MFD's almost perfectly which I could add but I don't see the need as I pretty much just stick with VR usage though I do have both a triple monitor setup as well as a projector in addition to the VR. So the chair can be used with my trackIR and those displays as well.

amsZdfu.jpg

• Like 1

Very cool. I have few small tripods that might work for that purpose.

I have a keypad mounted on a kneeboard but I do have it rigged to sit above the throttle like that if I want.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks. I for sure will update when I have it finalized. Once I got the MFD's all mocked up and went for some flights and after a short time I was reaching out and hitting the buttons I was aiming for I was pretty excited. It works as intended. Kind of like a real life object used to simulate a virtual one. Kind of the reverse of what we deal with..lol.

I live in a 1bdrm downtown condo now and I cannot have a traditional simpit. While it would be cool, I needed something compact and does not dedicate the space to a single use. So VR is perfect for space limitations and once Gen 2 or 3 is out, I feel we will be golden screen quality wise. Fingers crossed. I just wanted all the controls in VR that I had out of VR as well.

cichlidfan again I hope that recoup and recovery goes speedy. And sure, tripods would work, why not. Just have to figure out how to mount them securely would be all.

I am designing the mount for the MFD to the arm and then getting them 3d printed. I might while I am waiting for them mess with some metal fabbing to see how good I can achieve as well because that is just fun to do. That and a couple welds and should be good to go.

You are right, they really need to have a fixed base. Luckily I have the time to figure that out, and a dedicated sim room to accommodate whatever I end up with.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Really cool!

What is the panel in front of your hotas throttle? Also the mini keyboard?

That is a Logitech G13. I made a mounting plate for it so it attaches to my throttle mount. Lets me reach it without taking my hand even fully off the throttle itself.

Here is a pic showing the HOTAS position with the G13 and you can see the mount bracket I made for it.

The mini keyboard is a Rii I8 Mini 2.4Ghz Wireless Touchpad Keyboard With Mouse For PC.

zRhLd6i.jpg

You are right, they really need to have a fixed base. Luckily I have the time to figure that out, and a dedicated sim room to accommodate whatever I end up with.

Yeah, they just need to be solid enough that they do not really budge when you push them. The buttons have a really light tension so even with just a tape job for mock up on mine they were able to be used without collapsing. So once secured..well securely, will be no prob. And you are lucky to have that time and a dedicated sim room. Also, this kind of stuff is good mental exercise. Helps get that creative thinking going and that sense of accomplishment once you, hopefully, realize your vision into existence in the physical world. Wish I had a dedicated room I could go nuts in. Oh well, down the road.

Looks sick.

I recommend though putting a plate on the RHS for a mouse.

Thanks. I appreciate that. I am a southpaw and if you look in the 1st pic, you will see that I have a mouse attached to the side of my throttle. Works perfectly for all my point and click needs and if for some reason I need to move a cursor the G13 dual modes as both a mouse and 2nd jstick. So I will be ready for Viggens dual jstick requirements. :thumbup:

Nice. I have a G13 that I got for Christmas last year that's still sitting in its box.

My mini keyboard needs replacing, how do you like yours?

What are your MFDs and joystick mounted with? They look pretty cool.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

My version for VR

000045173036_%23_3_%23_Slipmasina.jpg

Used homemade extension, but attached FIAT front axle dust rubber part. It pushes stick back to centre a bit more, so it compensates new lenght of stick.

I want to make some little button box, but with axis as well some knobs to rotate not only buttons. Anybody knows easy way?

I found this one Ali-ZeroDelayUSBEncoder.jpg

it allows only buttons, anyone knows something similiar for axis as well?

Current state of my man cave, sorry for the blurry pic.

azCLmS5.jpg

The seat's back legs clip into the metal loops on the doorway, and the stick is bolted onto ikea offcuts that make for a removable unit. The one handed gamepad is for F1-F12 with a few extras.

Yes, it's in a closet ;)

Oculus CV1, i7 4790k @ stock, gtx 1080ti @ stock, 32gb PC3-19200 @ 2.4ghz, warthog & saitek pedals, razer tartarus chroma.

My version for VR

Nice Verde. I like that axle boot idea. Gonna have to maybe add one to my setup. Very cool.

Current state of my man cave, sorry for the blurry pic.

That for sure is one cozy setup Shabi. Nice you made use of the space like that. Close of a door, not a sim item in sight.

Quick update on my chair. I got my 1st pass prototypes for my Cougar MFD mounting adapters printed out and test fit is awesome. Yay, no more tape holding shit together! Final version has a couple of tweaks to design and will be printed up soon. Also waiting for new mounting plates from cnc shop.

Anyways as this was being planned I, as well as us all :(, were expecting the F-18 out at end of year so I wanted to have 3 MFDs like it has so I could at least eliminate those from the cockpit VR click and lets me reach out and touch an actual control where it exists in virtual space which is the whole goal here after all for the most part, augmenting my virtual experience.

So here is my center MFD mounting solution. I think it is gonna be just awesome once finalized. Final is height adjustable and has a bit more of an angle away from joystick. But this test one clears fine and neither hand nor joystick comes in contact at all with it at full range.

7eaiRa3.jpg

iqfgeYE.jpg

jQeiRwy.jpg

w90442G.jpg

And this is the adapter for the left and right MFD's mounted and on arm at full collapse. Once bolted to new mounting plates they will be completely storable and allow the chair to be used for any other normal usage. Only holding it up in this pic as can't bolt on yet. Of course one will be on the other side as well :smartass:

WQk6lP5.jpg?1

And in general pos for use

ejO7VB3.jpg

Anyways, will update once all is back from manufacturing and hoping to take it all apart and maybe do a proper build post since I will have all parts ready to go in one shot.

Edited by Torso