Labels change in DCS 1.5.5.59992 Update 2

dcshobbis

Hi

I could not find any detailed information on these changes yet, and the only thing I could see when flying in VR is that all labels are now completely gone. This change was done for VR pilots I understand from the changelog.

Anyone have information on what these changes listed in the changelog actually does?

• Ingame unit labels. Added possibility to adjust the color blending and opacity depending by distance. See \\Config\View\Labels.lua script.

• Ingame unit labels. Labels will scale in VR

Regards

HoBBiS

Simpit: i7 8700k, 64GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, Oculus Rift-S, Grip: Virpil Constellation Alpha. Throttle: Virpil Mongoos T-50CM2 all mounted on a IKEA office chair with the Monstertech office chair kit.

If the labels scale smaller the farther the labeled object is, then that would be a much welcomed new feature for VR flying!

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I did some changes in my labels.lua previously, and after the update, I can't get any labels in singleplayer at all, so probably I messed it up so my installation is likely not a good testing platform right now.

If anyone get some insights on this, perhaps with pictures, pls share :D

Regards

HoBBiS

Simpit: i7 8700k, 64GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, Oculus Rift-S, Grip: Virpil Constellation Alpha. Throttle: Virpil Mongoos T-50CM2 all mounted on a IKEA office chair with the Monstertech office chair kit.

Ohhhh, it was the update that changed those labels. I thought I had unwittingly pushed a button at some point recently.

For me, the font is about three times larger. I see this as a good thing, because labels had been unreadable in VR until this change. This was especially so if there was more than one unit grouped together.

Not that I really use labels - I just tinker about in single player. But nice to know I can turn them on and be able to read them if I need to.

Aaah. Ok. Thanks Flit! I think I need to reinstall my DCS cause it seem to be messed up after the update. I like labels when training and I still try to learn so labels help :-)

Regards

HoBBiS

Ohhhh, it was the update that changed those labels. I thought I had unwittingly pushed a button at some point recently.

For me, the font is about three times larger. I see this as a good thing, because labels had been unreadable in VR until this change. This was especially so if there was more than one unit grouped together.

Not that I really use labels - I just tinker about in single player. But nice to know I can turn them on and be able to read them if I need to.

I wish it was some settings for the size of the labels, for me the labels are way too big, slmost un-usable. I also fly VR.

The best would be to be able to remove text and just keep a dot instead of having complete labels IMO. That way it would help make out enemy locations (which is more difficult in VR then desktop flying) but wouldn't give away too much information.

You can do what you want with the label contain. See the explanation in "label.lua" in config/view.

But there´s not a size option (or I cant find it :(). I find the labels too big too. In the ground they cover the targets completely and is annoying.

Anybody had luck changing the labels size?

Tnx

MSI Trident X Plus 9SF-488EU Intel Core i9-9900K/64GB/2x2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD+1x2TB SSD/RTX 2080Ti/Samsung C49RG90 120hz/HP Reverb/

Use mod where labels are shown as dot. Instead of all info it is simple dot, thats a handy way to make things more realistic, as soon as object is bigger than "." It will blend with object and you are fine;) I am going to dig in deep for the new settings to bring things even more better suited for vr, have no pc at the moment waiting for parts.

Use mod where labels are shown as dot. Instead of all info it is simple dot, thats a handy way to make things more realistic, as soon as object is bigger than "." It will blend with object and you are fine;) I am going to dig in deep for the new settings to bring things even more better suited for vr, have no pc at the moment waiting for parts.

That is EXACTLY what I need. Got a link? :)

Just modify the Labels.lua and, by example, replace the "}%N%n%D%n%P" field by "%." and you will have a dot instead of the full text. You can set different symbols for Air/ground/sea/weapon units. You can set different symbol for each family regarding the distance of the object. Just have a look in this file...

You can also change the color (I made the same for allies and ennemy)

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

I had a quick fiddle around with ground targets in the new labels.lua file and as lefuneste01 suggested above, changed them all to dots, or variations of dots.

One nice new feature is the ability to change the opacity based on distance to the target, I have far away stuff very low opacity (0.1) making them visible when you're scanning for them, but harder to see and more realistic, I up the opacity in middle distance to aid with spotting and then drop it way back down when close so the label is still there but doesn't totally obliterate the target.

I had a quick fiddle around with ground targets in the new labels.lua file and as lefuneste01 suggested above, changed them all to dots, or variations of dots.

One nice new feature is the ability to change the opacity based on distance to the target, I have far away stuff very low opacity (0.1) making them visible when you're scanning for them, but harder to see and more realistic, I up the opacity in middle distance to aid with spotting and then drop it way back down when close so the label is still there but doesn't totally obliterate the target.

Pleas share your settings, are these shared from host to client in Mp game ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

* = Air

. = Ground

% = Naval

^ = Weapon

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2257661/

'T'

Moderators - would you kindly move this post to Mods section to avoid a double post - maybe steer the thread to it? - thank you.

picture.php?albumid=1305&pictureid=8535

picture.php?albumid=1305&pictureid=8537

picture.php?albumid=1305&pictureid=8539

picture.php?albumid=1305&pictureid=8541

Edited by Tyger

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

I am also playing in VR and the text is huge. It works fine in 2.0 for me---And that originally happened for me when I changed the pixel density to 1.5. In DCS 1.5 no matter what I do with the pixels the text/font is ginormous. Very hard to play

• Like 1

I am also playing in VR and the text is huge. It works fine in 2.0 for me---And that originally happened for me when I changed the pixel density to 1.5. In DCS 1.5 no matter what I do with the pixels the text/font is ginormous. Very hard to play

Download and use the mod. solved.

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

Thanks Tyger. Unsure of the format for changing the opacity, where would I add this parameter -

[5000] = {"}%*","LeftBottom",1 , 1},

I want to make it a lot lighter nearer in.

Win10 Pro, CPU I5 - 6400, Ram - 16Gig, GPU Zotac 1080, SSD, CV1

I can't see how you do this?

The labels.lua file? If so it doesn't tell me the format or where to use it. I'm not clear on the correct format -

--[distance] = {format , alignment,color_blending_k,opacity,shift_pixels_x,shift_in_pixels_y}

[10] = {"" ,"LeftBottom",1 , 1},

[5000] = {"}%.","LeftBottom",1 , 1},

Do I add in the opacity 0.1 after the %.

Thanks

The labels.lua file? If so it doesn't tell me the format or where to use it. I'm not clear on the correct format -

--[distance] = {format , alignment,color_blending_k,opacity,shift_pixels_x,shift_in_pixels_y}

[10] = {"" ,"LeftBottom",1 , 1},

[5000] = {"}%.","LeftBottom",1 , 1},

Do I add in the opacity 0.1 after the %.

Thanks

[5000] =  {"}%.","LeftBottom",1, 1},

becomes

[5000] =  {"}%.","LeftBottom",1, 0.1},

where 0.1 is the opacity you want at that distance