Grudge Match Viggen show

Goblin

There were some annoying streaming problems at the start of the twitch show last night, but once sorted out, it was a treat!

Watched about half the show live, and the rest this morning.

I tuned in to see the Viggen. Have to admit that ;)

The Rb04 attacks were cool! Looking forward to see how they are set up in regards to target programming. Several missiles went for the same target. There was some weaving patterns that seemed quite realistic.

I was impressed at the ninja skills of the Viggen fighters, sneaking in under the fighter screen at extreme low level. WTG guys!

The best part, and what I wanted to see, was the Viggen show after the grudge match.

I laughed at the Rb05 launch! One missile just fell to the earth, while one guided. Don't know if it was a bug or pilot error, but it seemed very realistic...

I remember testing the Rb05 simulator back in -93, when I did my military service as a AJ 37 mechanic/crew chief. I learned that a AJ pilot had to log 1000 simulated Rb05 shots, followed by a couple of Bantam TOW missileshots from a modified SK 61 (Scottish Aviation Bulldog). Then they got to shoot one live Rb05. Many missiles motors failed to ignite, and those who did ignite failed to guide..! :-) The Rb05 didn't fare well in storage. It was also a line mechanics worst nightmare as its rocket propellant was classed as a neurotoxin..!

The rocket attack was truly awesome! I recall they called it a 'broadside', and it's easy to see why! ;)

The DCS: AJS 37 Viggen is looking good! Can't wait to fly her! :joystick:

Edited by Goblin

No integral chaff or flare launchers on the AJS. This could be carried in pods, but usually only one aircraft in a group of four, would carry them.

IRL they would never turn to intercept fighters like this. They would run for cover. While the countermeasure aircraft would try to mask them.

I noticed that the viggens never used flares to decoy the missiles fired against them. Does the viggen not have integral (built-in) flare launchers? If so, can it carry flares and chaff in a pod?

Fighter version (JA37) does have integrated countermeasure dispensers. AJS doesn't. You need to take countermeasure pods with the AJS, which will use hardpoints.

Similarly, only the JA37 version has internal cannons, AJ/AJS versions however, have guns available in gunpods that can be mounted on hardpoints.

Edit : it should be mentioned though, one of the Viggen pilots (Jedi may be?) defeated like 8 missiles or so by just maneuvering :D it was fairly badass :D.

Edited by WinterH

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

No integral chaff or flare launchers on the AJS. This could be carried in pods, but usually only one aircraft in a group of four, would carry them.

IRL they would never turn to intercept fighters like this. They would run for cover. While the countermeasure aircraft would try to mask them.

:eek:Sounds like it's going to be rough in the threat environment faced within DCS... 'course it's up to the mission designer how sam or enemy fighter intensive that environment is.

Fighter version (JA37) does have integrated countermeasure dispensers. AJS doesn't. You need to take countermeasure pods with the AJS, which will use hardpoints.

Similarly, only the JA37 version has internal cannons, AJ/AJS versions however, have guns available in gunpods that can be mounted on hardpoints.

Edit : it should be mentioned though, one of the Viggen pilots (Jedi may be?) defeated like 8 missiles or so by just maneuvering :D it was fairly badass :D.

That was Bulldog if I recall correctly- awesome flying there

Sorry about the stream issues getting going guys, it was a OBS bug that require reboot to fix. These live events are extremely complicated and take a lot of work and planning, and things still happen. Frankly, with us working with unreleased content tonight that was installed only hours before the match, I'm relieved stream problems were all we had. Props to LNS for getting the Viggen ready

• Like 1

I was impressed by his maneuvering as well, wish my maneuvers were as successful at evading missiles. :)

It was great to see Viggen in action. The formation and low-flying looked great! The MiG21 has a big advantage in close with R60 missiles, but Viggen was no slouch in air-air combat. Despite being an atrack aircraft, the MA/LN pilots did a great job! From what I've heard, the Viggen drivers had to launch the old Rb24 sidewinders before switching to newer Rb74, so carrying a full loadout of missiles against agile opponents might not be the best choice. They also didn't mount the counter-measure pod, so hats off to the amazing missile evasions without flares!

@Hook47, technical problems do happen. You guys did a good job fixing the stream! The net-code/lagg was obviously still an issue as we could see rubberbanding aswell as Viggens dipping through ground etc. But I guess that affects the pilots more than us viewers. For next time also consider streaming F10map/TacView on to a separate part of the screen and have an additional person do the camera work. Quickly changing between F10-F2-Missile-flyby view made us miss some very interesting moments. I guess that camera work is very hard to do on your own while also doing the commentary. I enjoyed the stream, so please don't take this critique and advice as a form of bashing :D

That was Bulldog if I recall correctly- awesome flying there

Sorry about the stream issues getting going guys, it was a OBS bug that require reboot to fix. These live events are extremely complicated and take a lot of work and planning, and things still happen. Frankly, with us working with unreleased content tonight that was installed only hours before the match, I'm relieved stream problems were all we had. Props to LNS for getting the Viggen ready

Don't worry about the issues, these things happens. The only thing that matters is that the issue was resolved and that we all had a great show :thumbup:. Thank you and everyone involved in the event, looking forward to the next one!

First time I was a watching Grudge Match Show and I enjoyed it a lot !

The Team Fishbed was impressive but of course the Viggen was the beauty of that night !

Loved watching the AJS37 flying and doing attack/defensive maneuvers !

So, no integrated counter-measure system and no guns, only pods for each one of them.

Though choices... But with six hardpoint I hope it will be possible to carry 2 Air to Ground ordinances + 2 A/A heatseekers + 1 Gun pod + 1 counter-measure pod.

Anyway, that will depend on the mission objective and the hostile environment I suppose...

Thank you for all the people involved in making this show happened.

And @Hook47, I hope you'll do more of this ! :)

Edited by Teldja
wording
  • Like 1

Thanks for the kind words guys, we appreciate it! As you guys know, the twitch stream chat can get messy with that many people, but it seems like the majority enjoyed it and that is what we wanted!

After watching the match through a couple times editing and making copies, I have to admit some of my favorite plays had the Viggen in them- that initial merge where the Viggens turned around and beat some MiGs down was epic! That being said, Team Fishbed flew incredibly well and deserved the win, but major props to our Viggen pilots who gave an awesome showing in such a brutal PVP environment!

Oh- and just so everyone knows I got it down- the anti ship missile was the RB-04!!!!!' NOT THE RB 24!!!! Sorry about that Mattebubben an others :)

Edited by Hook47
  • Like 1

That was Bulldog, and it was awesome! :joystick:

That being said, Team Fishbed flew incredibly well and deserved the win

Definately!

You could see they had the advantage of better squadron tactics, and had trained together.

Don't believe the Tiggen Squad had much practice before the match?

Was great to see, and you could see the PVP experience won the day.

Having the AJS there was just icing on the cake.

Sounds corny, but looking forward to this module even more now.

Staffan

http://www.ipms.dk

i7 9700K, Asus Z390 Prime A, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti STRIX ROG, Fractal Design Define R6, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind, Oculus Rift S. 32 GB 3200 MHz RAM

Great Event, Great flying on both sides. If PVP Exp. was equal on both sides it could have changed the outcome. I enjoyed watching some Highly skilled Pilots do battle. Was worth the wait. The beauty of the Viggen cannot be denied. It was awesome to see it in flight. I will add it to my collection when it comes out...When D.C.S. Santa arrives early (Dec. 16_for some) I shall be distracted till then...

Must add more memory chips to ageing Human Computer Interface to learn all these new toys...

• Like 1

Rotor57

My Rig; Intel i7 3770K @ 3.5_32GB RAM_GTX 1080 _X55 Rhino Throttle_TM_Warthog Flight Stick_TM Pedals_28" 4K Eyeball Bleeding Monitor::doh:

Take off is optional, landing is not::pilotfly:

FC3; CA; NTTR; P51; Spitfire; F86F; Mig15; F5; KA-50; AJS 37 Viggen; UH-1H; F18C; A10-C;M2000;AV8B-N/A;Christen Eagle;

A game more interesting than football !!! Congratulations to the migs for their team tactics. I liked the low level progressions in tight formation of the viggen. Beautiful actions from the F5 and viggen. Thanks for the fun!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I really enjoyed the show, and the migs put up one heck of a fight. But I was confused why the viggens never used the BK90 for the BTR's and why they used the RB-04e instead of the RB-15 which I beleive the AJS could use aswell

Edit: Side note, would love to see another grudge match when the F-14 makes its debut :P just sayin.. ideas for the future.

Edited by Airwolf435

I really enjoyed the show, and the migs put up one heck of a fight. But I was confused why the viggens never used the BK90 for the BTR's

I hope we will indeed see the BK90 included. IIRC it was withdrawn from inventory due to an international agreement to ban cluster weapons.

I finally got to watch it after the even on Hook's Twitch page (still going for those who haven't visited yet). It was a ton of fun to watch and the first time I've watched an event like that.

As a long-term MiG-21 fan I was glad to see it put up such a strong fight despite several technological advantages on the opposing team. It reinforced the ACEVAL/AIMVAL maxim that fighting as a team and using the right tactics will overcome tech - nice to see that DCS manages to recreate that so well. :thumbup:

I also loved watching the Viggens streak in on the deck for their first launch of RB 04Es (even if the group launch feature was bugged) and fight their way out. Even in A-A it put up a solid showing against the MiG-21 (even carrying those big centerline tanks - can they be jettisoned?).

And clearly the Viggen is functioning pretty darn well even at this stage!

Thanks to all who made the event possible and I can't wait to see more from the Viggen!

-Nick

I really enjoyed the show, and the migs put up one heck of a fight. But I was confused why the viggens never used the BK90 for the BTR's and why they used the RB-04e instead of the RB-15 which I beleive the AJS could use aswell

Edit: Side note, would love to see another grudge match when the F-14 makes its debut :P just sayin.. ideas for the future.

We decided not to use the RBS-15 for the event, because the range and power of the missile would have heavily tilted the scenario in the BLUFOR teams' favour.

The Viggens would have been able to take off, fire off the RBS-15's from practically above their own base, giving the MiG-21 team no chance for interception.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

We decided not to use the RBS-15 for the event, because the range and power of the missile would have heavily tilted the scenario in the BLUFOR teams' favour.

The Viggens would have been able to take off, fire off the RBS-15's from practically above their own base, giving the MiG-21 team no chance for interception.

Ah ok that makes a lot of sense with the range, The RB-04 was still very cool to see in action.. even if they tended to all gang up on one boat. lol