understanding Nvidia GTX graphics card numbering 7xx v. 8xx v. 9xx

No, a 980 isn't better than a 1070

The last two digits, in this case either 80 or 70 shows, the series, which goes up to 80, 80 Ti or a Titan whatever gen and starts mostly from 50

the first digit, now first two digits, in this case either 9 or 10 shows the Generation

http://blog.logicalincrements.com/2014/06/graphics-cards-what-do-the-numbers-mean/

Edited by razo+r

No, a 980 isn't better than a 1070

The last two digits, in this case either 80 or 70 shows, the series, which goes up to 80, 80 Ti or a Titan whatever gen and starts mostly from 50

the first digit, now first two digits, in this case either 9 or 10 shows the Generation

Wouldn't an older generation be better with a higher series #. I was thinking that it's really the series # that indicates better performance while the generation # is just a newer unit.

only sometimes, but since the Pascal Gen is so much more efficient, it isn't the case

A GTX 980 TI is about on the level of a 1070

Generation is also a factor for the performance, like for example a 680 and 970

3 Gens difference, and 10 difference in the series, but a big performance difference

only sometimes, but since the Pascal Gen is so much more efficient, it isn't the case

A GTX 980 TI is about on the level of a 1070

Generation is also a factor for the performance, like for example a 680 and 970

3 Gens difference, and 10 difference in the series, but a big performance difference

One of the reasons I ask, is the price difference, you always pay a lot more for the newest generation but it's not always worth it. So what would the best deal for your money be?

I know all the features for Rift (not sure about Vive) come out for NVidia first. I was a *long* time Radeon guy but switched in 6xx days and never looked back.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I know all the features for Rift (not sure about Vive) come out for NVidia first. I was a *long* time Radeon guy but switched in 6xx days and never looked back.

Yes I too started off with Radeon and switched. One thing about Nvidia, their control panel doesn't have the ability to save user profiles the way AMD/ATI cards can.

Depends on what you like more

AMD:

cheaper

mostly hotter

less efficient

good price-performance ratio

"small"

HBM memory(on some)

NVidia

more expensive

more powerfull and efficient

?more aftermarket versions?

more softwares like to run smoother with NVidia

on the newer ones: GDDR5X

Depends on what you like more

AMD:

cheaper

mostly hotter

less efficient

good price-performance ratio

"small"

HBM memory(on some)

NVidia

more expensive

more powerfull and efficient

?more aftermarket versions?

more softwares like to run smoother with NVidia

on the newer ones: GDDR5X

Thanks, at the stores I see far more Nvidia products than AMD.

• 2 weeks later...

After some good reading here I'm leaning toward the purchase of a GTX1070 for my new rig. I think it's excellent value for what you get at $550.00cad also I'm not willing to spend the 60% more for the GTX1080 $890.00cad.

Now I need to figure out which manufacturer's card I should buy.

Any recommendations and reasons why?

Thank you.

Any recommendations and reasons why?

It's been many years since I've used NVIDIA, but when I did, I found EVGA to be the best for me. Typically good pricing, good factory overclocks, and they didn't give me any issues.

I bought a GIGABYTE once due to its lower price (for the model at the time), and had the fan bearing die within a year. Got it replaced and that bearing went too. Replaced it with an MSI, and had that start failing (random vid card errors regardless of driver version used) about a year later.

As with all things: YMMV.

I will use it as is out of the box, not overly fancy. I had an Nvidia card and also a Zotac, I preferred the support I got from Nvidia, so that's one criteria.

Then i can recommend you watching some benchmarks

I used ASUS and MSI, both were ok, nothing weird or bad

I'm now using an ASUS, I'm happy with it...actually I looked for the v-card with the kind of connectors that fit my monitors. I guess that's not the top criteria:smartass:

Ah FYI! 1070 card don't do analog signal. Just in case you haven't heard that yet. I ran in to that problem I had 3 40in lcd tv's with 3 displayport to VGA cords plugged in to a 970 and it worked great but not with the 1070 I bought. I had to switch to HDMI cords which if you have to do that remember adjust the sharpness to off or low if you are using tv's or HDMI 1.4 of some sort and its not consider a computer monitor. Low or no sharpness will get the grainy look out of the desktop.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ah FYI! 1070 card don't do analog signal. Just in case you haven't heard that yet. I ran in to that problem I had 3 40in lcd tv's with 3 displayport to VGA cords plugged in to a 970 and it worked great but not with the 1070 I bought. I had to switch to HDMI cords which if you have to do that remember adjust the sharpness to off or low if you are using tv's or HDMI 1.4 of some sort and its not consider a computer monitor. Low or no sharpness will get the grainy look out of the desktop.

Thanks for the heads up...I will make sure of the connections before getting my new rig with the 1070.

My 3 monitors are the same with HDMI connection, my current rig's v-card has 2 DVI-d [digital] and 1 HDMI output so I got 2 cables that have HDMI at 1 end and DVI-d [digital] at the other end. It works well. It's great that there are all kinds of adapter cables.

Another EVGA advocate here. They're a solid company.

Getting back to the OP question about which cards are "better", the best answer "which someone already said" is that the first 1 or 2 numbers is the card generation, and the last 2 represents the processing ability within that generation. However, a rule of thumb that has worked for me is that for every generation you go up, you can reduce the last 2 numbers by 10 to get a roughly equivalent card (e.g. 670 ~ 760 ~ 850). As a gamer I also wouldn't touch anything less than a 50, and I would still consider a 60 to be a minimum spec for something like DCS.

Another EVGA advocate here. They're a solid company.

Getting back to the OP question about which cards are "better", the best answer "which someone already said" is that the first 1 or 2 numbers is the card generation, and the last 2 represents the processing ability within that generation. However, a rule of thumb that has worked for me is that for every generation you go up, you can reduce the last 2 numbers by 10 to get a roughly equivalent card (e.g. 670 ~ 760 ~ 850). As a gamer I also wouldn't touch anything less than a 50, and I would still consider a 60 to be a minimum spec for something like DCS.

I was told by retailers I spoke with and Nvidia the 10xx generation is an exception to your rule. It far outdoes its previous generation...and I don't think it was said to make a sale.

I was told by retailers I spoke with and Nvidia the 10xx generation is an exception to your rule. It far outdoes its previous generation...and I don't think it was said to make a sale.

Indeed it does, I am very pleased with my EVGA GTX 1080 FTW.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|