Need help to set up Carrier Landing Mission

SnowTiger

Before I go trying to learn something that to-date has been over my head, I was hoping someone else might have already created a Carrier Landing (Trap Landing) mission for the Tiger II ?

Otherwise, how do I set waypoints etc to make a Carrier do a continuous route (like an Orbit type thang !).

Furthermore, since the Tiger II has a Hook for Trap Landings, does this mean that we already have the capability (in DCS) to do Carrier Take-Offs too ?

SnowTiger:joystick:

Hi SnowTiger,

The F5's tail hook is an emergency only system designed for use on ground arresting systems only (for example brake failures or other systems malfunctions or damage that would preclude a safe stopping distance on landing). Most USAF fighter aircraft have similar systems, such as the F105, F4, F16. (I'm sure other members here would have more knowledge on that subject).

My source for this is USAF 1F-5E-1, the tech manual for the actual aircraft. Section 5, limitations, lists the BAK-9, the BAK-12, and the MA-1A as the only authorized emergency arrestment systems authorized for use. Of course, in an actual emergency all bets are off but from everything I have seen the F5 was never intended to be landed on a carrier.

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

carrier.jpgLooks pretty cool, the remnants of the SVNAF. They were loaded by USAF heavy lift Helo's in Thailand. This was the same sortie of the Midway with the famous dumping of the Huey's making room for the evacuation. Most of those F-5's ended up as USAF aggressors.

See anything unusual on deck?

Utapao13_zpsrs8dl3ru.jpg

This was in U-Tapao Thailand and it is one of many ways to move around an F5.

Or maybe some P47's in WW2 getting ferried to the Pacific theater? They could take off from the carrier given the right conditions and enough room but were loaded by crane because they never could have landed on it.

0306106.jpg

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

Thanks for all of the replies.

I guess if it doesn't happen in the real world, then it shouldn't happen in DCS. But it's interesting to know that a tail hook was installed yet rarely (if ever) used.

While I am really starting to like the F-5E3, I am somewhat disappointed that we cannot Trap Land (on a Carrier OR even a Runway ... for the hell of it), nor can we Air Refuel.

I guess if I want the Air Refueling experience I'm going to have to jump into one of my other Mods for the experience. This may quickly end my F-5E flight time. ... or not !!?

SnowTiger:joystick:

F-5s A,B,E,F,N,G Etc,

None of them are Carrier Capable, the Tail Hook is for Emergency use on land based systems, which are not the same as the Systems on Naval Carriers.

Even then, the Underlying Systems for use of the Hook (Land Based Emergency System) have not be implemented. Right now It's purely cosmetic.

The F-5E -3 Modeled was not a Export Version w/ Export Optional Upgrades, it's been discussed repeatedly (no AGM-65, No Refueling Probe, Amongst Other things).

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Hopefully some day we'll get a BAK barrier system implemented in game. There used to be a simple system up in Anchorage, with a cable attached to two heavy ship anchor type chains laid in line on each side of the runway. Wasn't very balanced, it damaged the back end out of at least one F-4 and skidded it off the side, and their hooks were up to Naval standards, was better than nothing I guess.