500 Missions for the Huey

emolina

How do you start in the cold? Whenever the temp is below 0, the battery does not have enough capacity to start.

When I ask Ground Crew to connect the Ground Power, they respond with "unable".

I remember reading that you need a certain type of vehicle at the Farp.

Currently, I am unable to fly any of the cold missions

I found 364 (-10), 366 (-12), 367 (-12) and 397 (-12).

I was unable to get the N1 past 9 or 10% on all of these. I think it is not unknown to have start problems with very cold batteries, and the need to use Ground Power in such situation. Maybe this is realistically modelled (or just a bug).

Either way, there is a lack of Ground Power, so these missions are non starters (pardon my pun :))

Also, there are a couple of missions where there is not enough fuel to complete them (I have tried a couple of times), and there is no way of refuelling at the FARP before takeoff (unless it is user incompetence, which wouldn't surprise me).

Please do not see any of this as any criticism of your excellent work!

Starting the mission with not enough fuel is not a bug, it's a deliberate attempt to stuff up your day if you take off with not enough fuel.

I don't like to put in silly 'gotchas' but this is one that you find just after starting the mission so I think it's ok.

The issue with starting from cold is definitely there! I will look up how to make sure that the ground crew can give you power.

And also, now that I think about it, they should be giving you fuel too, there is a fuel depot at the FARP!

I have learned that pitot and de-icing chew up batteries real quick, so if you aren't following a checklist make sure to turn those on last. Also, out of habit forced by repeated bad experiences I always go on ground power very first thing in any aircraft, and in any airplane I also put in chocks, and then I go through my start up. Seemed to stop me from having issues that I had occasionally, like helicopters not starting because of dead batteries, or jets rolling when I am looking down and the only clue I have is "Hey! What are you doing?".......

~S

• 2 weeks later...