Multiple hard drive aproach for gaining FPS

Well after having master boot table corruption twice in 10 days (double bad luck I hadnt for a decade) I decided to buy a new hard drive to hold the OS.

The old one still seems to operate well, even though Im not sure if it was the cause of its failiure wich started the problem.

I keep all my most demaning aplications on my new drive (a western digital 160 SATA2 drive as opposed to my old maxtor Sata 150). The older drive holds all my multimedia files as well as the paging file. I have allocated this drive to place the paging file at the beggining of it and seems to be working pretty well. With both drives working independently, one loads LOMAC data and the other uses the page file silmultaneously has improved smoothness.

Loading time are better also. I just wanted to give a heads up for those who are considering aquiring 2 drives instead of just one.

BTW RAID0 is not an option, they have slighly different real sizes (150 VS 152GB).

On a side note, I always preferred Western digital over any other brand. I went maxtor the first time in this PC due to stock problems.

The WD drive is much quieter and smoother in loading and writing operations than the maxtor. Even though they have been benchmarked and shown to be almost identical in perfomance. I had past experiences that WD drives dont get as much sluggish as others when getting full. This maxtor plunges down noticeably after 50% is taken.

• Like 1

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

what exactly? Doesnt your motherboard have more than 1 SATA plug?

It doesnt even need setting the master/slave jumpers anymore.

My PC specs below:

well this second drive is working so well with the page file that it almost feels its deactivated anyway.

My PC specs below:

what exactly? Doesnt your motherboard have more than 1 SATA plug?

It doesnt even need setting the master/slave jumpers anymore.

For those of us who dont know what the paging file is, or how to allocate it at the begining of a disk, or to separate the Lomac activity between the two drives, You might Like to help us out.

Thanks,

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

Guest IguanaKing

Partition the best drive with a small amount of space for the bootable OS. 20GB is a bare minimum, and may even be too small, so I suggest at least a 30GB partition for the OS on the best drive. Second, remove the indexing services on all of your recognized drives/partitions, this makes a fairly big difference. You don't have identical drives/sizes, so a RAID array of either type, 0 or 1, is not recommended, and your BIOS probably won't let you do it anyway. Last, but not least, ditch those other two manufs and go with SeaGate! :smilewink: Heh...just kidding of course, but SeaGate has been my drive of choice for years and has NEVER left me hangin'. :)

A paging file is virtual memory. If you have more than a gig of ram you "technically" dont need any. But, if you go to start/control panel/system/performance (correct me if Im wrong on the location of page file is) click on the page file button and set it to whatever you wish. Basically the smaller the better, but not smaller than the recommended for anything less than 1024mbs of ram.

I would get 1.5 gigs of ram and just deal without the page file. All it is is just files written to the hard drive when the ram is full or is just the least path of resistance.

Guest IguanaKing
A paging file is virtual memory. If you have more than a gig of ram you "technically" dont need any. But, if you go to start/control panel/system/performance (correct me if Im wrong on the location of page file is) click on the page file button and set it to whatever you wish. Basically the smaller the better, but not smaller than the recommended for anything less than 1024mbs of ram.

I would get 1.5 gigs of ram and just deal without the page file. All it is is just files written to the hard drive when the ram is full or is just the least path of resistance.

Killing the paging file had mixed results on my old system, but on my new system with Windows XP x64, killing the paging file is definitely a non-option. It actually, instantly, cut LOMAC performance down to 25% of what it was with a system-managed size.

Without paging file my game crashes after a while with system resourses low warning.

For those of us who dont know what the paging file is, or how to allocate it at the begining of a disk, or to separate the Lomac activity between the two drives, You might Like to help us out.

Thanks,

As someone said, paging file, or SWAP file is virtual memory. Its always on by default in any windows based PC. typicaly the close it is to the beggining of the drive the faster it works. To do this on a second drive, you'd need a tool to set it up on that drive. Wondows, doesnt let you do that directly. The tool I use is Tewak XP 4 Pro. The demo lets you run the tool 30 times but you only need to do this once. Do it with the second drive empty. If its not empyt you can use another tool to do boot time Page file defrag. Because windows cannot move it on the run.

One such tool is VoptXp 7.22

So puting it short:

1)TweakXP for moving the page file to the second drive

2) VoptXp to place the page file on the beggining of the drive (aprox).

This will require you to reboot the PC twice as it allocates space and assigns the new page file.

The pic below shows how the page file (in green) should look like at the second drive (D:)

Thats it. :)

My PC specs below:

I got 2 300GB Seagate barricuda SATA2.

I noticed no improvement in FPS when I got these, just loading time.

With enough RAM, the paging file "'shouln't" get used ... unless an app leaks memory - hence you won't use the disk.

Pilot, did you try repairing the partition table manually with a hex editor? :)

Thanks for the heads up guys. I have 2 WD 300g SATA1 drives, One has 3 partitions, OS on P1, and FC on P2. Also have 2gig ram. So Im not going to reinstall FC, unless im pretty sure its gonna make a difference to me.

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

Well game smoothnes and load times will be affected by multiple drives and such, but as far as FPS go, no, in all my tests at least ;)

:Core2Duo @ 435FSB x 7 3.05GHz : ATI x1900xtx: 2GB Patriot @ 435Mhz : WD 250Gb UATA: Seagate 320Gb SATA2: X-Fi Platinum: