So, how is it?

Dave317

Let me put a short resume after having played 5 missions. When I read through this thread, my expectations were pretty low. However, I enjoyed the first 5 missions so far and it doesn't seem that buggy like mentioned in here.

I agree that some triggers may be a bit sensitive - or they may not work when you don't do exactly what you're supposed to do so. It e.g. once happened that no bandits were on the roof in mission 2 when I didn't follow the road and went a different way. Also once the special forces did not disembark. Aside that, I did not have problems with the campaign so far. Well, in mission 5 I wasn't sure about that message about "out of ammo" and I thought I have to report when the enemy doesn't fire anymore. I was not amused when it told me "Mission failed". That's probably what people meant with "sometimes misleading".

The missions may not be that complex, but there's nothing wrong with that. In fact it's refreshing to have those shorter flights. I don't always want to do 70 minutes missions.

Somebody mentioned it's not a real campaign. Well, maybe there's no "big story" behind it and it's "just a bunch of missions" along the border. But again, there's nothing wrong with that. So far I like the variety of the missions. I do not regret the buy after having played 1/3 of the campaign.

There are a few things you might miss after having played Oilfield. First, when you start up the Mi-8 - it feels so silent when you don't hear anybody saying "starting APU", "Revs increasing, temperature increasing". It would be a HUGE improvement if this would be implementend. It's no critism though because Border was released way before Oilfied. IMO it simply would add a lot to the immersion though.

2nd, it would be cool to have some of the maps from the briefing in the kneeboard. When you want to work with Doppler, you always have to hit the ESC key and to go to the briefing to see the distances/angles for the Doppler. This takes out a lot of flow. It has to be said that you can fly most missions w/o Doppler though because distances aren't that far and you can do visual flight. Another thing I miss - the frequencies picture is in kyrillian in the kneeboard. Not everyboy can read this. So again, it's hitting ESC and going to the briefing to see the english version. So maybe a solution like in Oilfield where you have both languages in the jpg could be the better solution.

These are no game breakers, but adding those things could improve the overall experience.

Like I mentioned before, I'm enjoying the campaign though. After having played Spring Tension and Oilfield, I was simply glad to get another 15 missions for the Hip.

Edit: PS I like the skin of the Mi-8 in this campaign

Edited by rge75

Thank you very much for your feedback. I really appreciate the opinion of users. I will take into account your comments and wishes when creating other campaigns.

• Like 1

Mi-8MTV2 The border campaign

Ka-50 2 Pandemic campaign

Mi-24P The border - prequel campaign

Asus pro gaming Z-170, i5-6600K-4.3GHz, SSD M2 NVME 1Tb, HDD 1Tb, GTX 1080Ti, RAM 32GB, Oculus Quest 2, LG Ultrawide 2560x1080.

• 1 month later...

So I just finished the Border Campaign. It took me quite a while, so I'd say I got enough out of my money ;-)

I already made a summary after 5 missions, therefore I'll keep it short. Overall, I enjoyed the campaign but I can understand that some people "complain" about triggers and stuff.

There were e.g. a couple of missions where the frequency was wrong e.g. 142.500/142.000 in mission 15, 128.000/128.500 in mission 8. This shouldn't be and I'm sure it would be easy to fix.

And in mission 14, I did not see strains, so it was quite hard to find out which buildings to attack. I had to watch a video (and interestingly it worked fine there) - so maybe it was broken with one of the DCS updates.

Also, there were a few missions where the objects on the map were visible even thoug I disabled everything. This means it must have been set to "forced on" in the mission (e.g. mission 8, 9 and 14).

Mission 12 to 14 were a lot of fun.

I'll most likely re-visit the Border Campaign in DCS 2.5 - hoping that all the triggers will be fixed until then. Mission 9 e.g. had quite some issues (Trigger at WP2 didn't seem to work)

Even though mission 15 was "just a long flight" it was quite interesting if you just flew on visual and with ACPs. So the most fun was preparing the whole flight (setting the ACP) and to actually make sure you always knew where you are. It for sure would have been less interesting with Doppler and Garmin IMO.

With that said, Border Campaign might be a bit less "polished" compared to e.g Oilfield or Argo, but it was enjoyble.

• 4 months later...
Let me put a short resume after having played 5 missions. When I read through this thread, my expectations were pretty low. However, I enjoyed the first 5 missions so far and it doesn't seem that buggy like mentioned in here.

I agree that some triggers may be a bit sensitive - or they may not work when you don't do exactly what you're supposed to do so. It e.g. once happened that no bandits were on the roof in mission 2 when I didn't follow the road and went a different way. Also once the special forces did not disembark. Aside that, I did not have problems with the campaign so far. Well, in mission 5 I wasn't sure about that message about "out of ammo" and I thought I have to report when the enemy doesn't fire anymore. I was not amused when it told me "Mission failed". That's probably what people meant with "sometimes misleading".

The missions may not be that complex, but there's nothing wrong with that. In fact it's refreshing to have those shorter flights. I don't always want to do 70 minutes missions.

Somebody mentioned it's not a real campaign. Well, maybe there's no "big story" behind it and it's "just a bunch of missions" along the border. But again, there's nothing wrong with that. So far I like the variety of the missions. I do not regret the buy after having played 1/3 of the campaign.

There are a few things you might miss after having played Oilfield. First, when you start up the Mi-8 - it feels so silent when you don't hear anybody saying "starting APU", "Revs increasing, temperature increasing". It would be a HUGE improvement if this would be implementend. It's no critism though because Border was released way before Oilfied. IMO it simply would add a lot to the immersion though.

2nd, it would be cool to have some of the maps from the briefing in the kneeboard. When you want to work with Doppler, you always have to hit the ESC key and to go to the briefing to see the distances/angles for the Doppler. This takes out a lot of flow. It has to be said that you can fly most missions w/o Doppler though because distances aren't that far and you can do visual flight. Another thing I miss - the frequencies picture is in kyrillian in the kneeboard. Not everyboy can read this. So again, it's hitting ESC and going to the briefing to see the english version. So maybe a solution like in Oilfield where you have both languages in the jpg could be the better solution.

These are no game breakers, but adding those things could improve the overall experience.

Like I mentioned before, I'm enjoying the campaign though. After having played Spring Tension and Oilfield, I was simply glad to get another 15 missions for the Hip.

Edit: PS I like the skin of the Mi-8 in this campaign

fully agree