How use pilots in RL the INS?

MarkP

Hi,

this is a question, mainly to add realism.

Im starting to learn about the systems of the M2000. I search youtube videos for tutorials, and they use the F10 map in DCS to look for their Geo Pos and to align the INS.

How do the Pilots this in reallife since there is no MAP like in DCS of course :)

Second Question, if they fly a mission, how do they get the coordinates of the waypoints? Are they already saved in the aircraft when they enter it or do they have to enter it manually? How is this in DCS currently? And do you align when F10 Map is forced to be disabled in MP?

Regards, Mark

Main-Module: F-16C, AH-64D

Maps: Syria, Persian Gulf, South Atlantic, Caucasus, 1944 Normandy, NTTR

Hardware: VKB Gunfighter mk.2 Pro, WinWing Orion F16, VKB T-Rudder, HP Reverb G2

PC Specs: Intel 13900K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-5800 RAM, GeForce RTX 4090, Win 11x64

In real life there is just a lot of preperation before they even get into their plane. They figure the waypoints and the corresponding coordinates out on the ground, and Im not sure how advanced the Mirage 2000C we have is, but I can imagine they get entered via the ground crew, who connect with the plane, just like the Eurofighter Typhoon has that capability, dont quote me on that though.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

Usually the parking spots on the ramp have had their coordinates mapped beforehand. So the pilot only needs to copy the coordinates from a list.

2nd question: From the manual it looks like that Mirage has a slot for a portable data cartridge. Those data cartridges are used to transfer the whole mission plan to the aircraft. So the pilot doesn't need to enter the waypoints manually. The data can include: waypoint coordinates, timetable, radio frequencies, troop placements, threats etc.

You can see the door on this Harden Aircraft Shelter (HAS). If the pilot did not know the aircraft position during mission planing, they use those coordinated to do the INS line up.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/a3/75/09/a3750960908863d3ddc681a36de6f5a4.jpg

http://www.airport-data.com/images/airports/small/006/006855.jpg

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

2nd question: From the manual it looks like that Mirage has a slot for a portable data cartridge. Those data cartridges are used to transfer the whole mission plan to the aircraft. So the pilot doesn't need to enter the waypoints manually.

Indeed, it's the "MIP" (you have such a light on the PCN). Module d'Insertion de Paramètres.

Edited by Azrayen

spacer.png