P-8 Lubber line is wrong

Sokol1_br

P-8 Compass Lubber Line, the reference line against is set a desired course is wrong.

image.pngpicture share

Spit Mk.IX P-8 Lubber Line is wrong following the Course Setter scale in their adjust, but the correct is be stationary in 12:00hs position, since is the reference for a give course;

See P-8 adjust there:

Was the first thing I look for, after years of pain with the wrong P-8 in CLoD, there the Lubber Line is completely missing. 😄

EDIT - Mk. IX compass is P11 and not P8, the difference is 2 extra parallel lines for reference.

Well, after the initial frustration in see the Lubber Line incorrect - as above,

I resolve fiddle with P-8 ( I refuse fly Spit using "GPS" or digital compass :D)

and increasing flood lights notice a "artifice" that make Mk.IX P-8 usable:

P_8_Mk_IX.jpgpicture sharing

This pin "welded" on bowl bottom as 12 o'clock - is hidden be Lubber Line at spawn, allow set the desired course.

In the picture the pin show plane actual heading, 305 degrees, adjusted turning the Course Setter, using the Map digital HDG as reference.

The misalignment of P-8 needle +with "N" (the Red on Red)* is probable Georgia map Magnet Declination, that (I supposed) show true North in map digital HUD.

That is, who are used to CloD P-8 usage know how "easy" is this set "Red on Red", calibrate DG, then again and again (in flight)... British peculiarities. :lol:

* I see dozens of pictures of P8 (P4, P6, P11...) and in none the needle + is painted in red to justify this "Red on Red". :D

BTW - Free 3D model: https://sketchfab.com/models/b82a59980e6548f88fe50d0bc3c54427

Edited by Sokol1_br

Sorry, I guess some forum mod changed thread name as "no error" after latest Sokol post. Well, no, finding a trick to make the compass usable doesn't means there are no error. There are error, having a trick or not, there are no reference line to use the compass, and that's a mistake, bug, or whatever one wants to call it.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

The misalignment of P-8 needle +with "N" (the Red on Red)* is probable Georgia map Magnet Declination, that (I supposed) show true North in map digital HUD.

* I see dozens of pictures of P8 (P4, P6, P11...) and in none the needle + is painted in red to justify this "Red on Red". :D

I was wondering also what that means. May be some native knowing that can help, but may be that's a game with the words, "red on read" (past), so you set red mark over course read.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Sorry, I guess some forum mod changed thread name as "no error" after latest Sokol post. Well, no, finding a trick to make the compass usable doesn't means there are no error. There are error, having a trick or not, there are no reference line to use the compass, and that's a mistake, bug, or whatever one wants to call it.

S!

So (No error) is in error ;)

OS:Win10 Home CPU:i7 3770K 3.5(@4.3GHz) COOLER:ZalmanCNPS10X-PERFORMA MOBO:GigabyteGA-Z77X-UD5H SSD#1:SamsungEVO850Pro 500GB SSD#2:SanDisk240GB HDD:2x Seagate2TB GFX:GigabyteGTX670 WF3 2GB OC1058MHz RAM:16GB 16000MHz DDR3 KEYB'Ds:Corsair K95/MS SidewinderX4 MOUSE:LogitechG700s MON:2x ASUS 24” ROUTER:ASUS RT-N66U DarkKnight INTERWEBS:Fibre152Mbps/12Mbps JOYSTICK:TM T16000m Modded THROTTLE:TM TWCS HEADTRACK:TrackIR5Pro

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...

With the Spitfire now out of Early Access, is the P8M compass going to get a lubber line so that we can actually navigate with it and use it to set the correct heading before take-off?

Refer to this image of a real P8M - the lubber line is at 340' in this image.

http://www.chevascoconnections.com/communities/7/004/012/038/147/images/4616090423.jpg

Edited by toby23
correct model

Ryzen 5800X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060

• 11 months later...

As of the latest Beta update 2.5.5.33184, it seems the answer is not yet. Another thing that will help enourmously, is when they get around to adding the radium glow to ALL the instrument dials and needles that were painted with it. I get the feeling that some references used might be museum relics (70 year old luminous paint is no longer luminous), and 70 Year old compasses might be non functional - who knows - I do know that this doesn't really represent the compass that I remember from the Chipmunk (P11 AFAIK) that was much the same, and also used in Spitfires of this Period, and I suspect going by the colour alone, that this is what is modelled. Note also that the 1 is missing from the 10 degree mark ;) This is seen on some old examples on google where the paint has flaked off.

... British peculiarities. :lol:

/QUOTE]

That's what happens when the senior service (The Royal Navy) has influence over government budgets during development of the Royal Airforce in it's infancy.

This compass was designed and used by the Royal Navy in WWI and ported over into the RAF.

The Germans on the other hand, designed a compass based upon airforce requirements.

S!

I guess that means it is too inconvenient to fix - and who cares if this an accurate simulation, we have your money so go suck on it.....

Sorry. I'm hot and bothered righrt now. Maybe it will be fixed in the next update :music_whistling:

• NineLine changed the title to P-8 Lubber line is wrong
  • 1 year later...