P-51 Will not fly

taxman1

First off I don't know if this is the right place to post my issue, but here goes.

After updating to the latest version of 1.5 and installing the Spit. my P-51 will not fly. It loads but when I click on the fly button it will start for a second then freeze with the message that DCS has stopped working, only option is to close and back to desk top.

My other aircraft the Spit., FW-190 and ME-109 are just fine and are flyable.

Any help ideas greatly appreciated in getting my P-51 up and flying.:helpsmilie:

Thanks

Did you have mods installed when you updated? If so try removing mods and run repair. If not attach a zipped Logs folder.

Windows(C.) / Users / user name / Saved Games / DCS / Logs

Yes I have a mods folder where seven aircraft folders are installed. I did have 1 mod aircraft installed, the rest are DCS products, I will remove that folder and run repair. Being as I new to tracking down issues how do I run a repair:dunno:

Thanks

Hi all,

since installing the Spit (DCS 1.5.5.60314 Update 3), I had the problem that on P-51 startup when I toggled "run", the P-51 exploded, blew up.

In flight missions with the P-51just freeze.

I tried this advice and removed the P-38 and the B-17 which are non-DCS mods as AI aircraft. And lo and behold, the P-51 works again. I am overjoyed.

But does this mean that I cannot add the P-38 and B-17 anymore?

Because I need those add-ons for Bf109 and Dora missions.

Or is there a work-around?

Regards taxman1, in any case you made my day by your post.

Hi all,

since installing the Spit (DCS 1.5.5.60314 Update 3), I had the problem that on P-51 startup when I toggled "run", the P-51 exploded, blew up.

In flight missions with the P-51just freeze.

I tried this advice and removed the P-38 and the B-17 which are non-DCS mods as AI aircraft. And lo and behold, the P-51 works again. I am overjoyed.

But does this mean that I cannot add the P-38 and B-17 anymore?

Because I need those add-ons for Bf109 and Dora missions.

Or is there a work-around?

Regards taxman1, in any case you made my day by your post.

Glad it worked. The other good news is that after removing P-38, I did a repair, reinstalled the P-38 it is now working. The only bad news with the P-38 is I cannot get the cockpit to show properly, working on that.

P-51 - Thanks for Resolving the AI Mod Problem (P-51 Exploding on Engine Startup)

Hi all,

of course my thanks also go to cthulhu68 - Lovecraft would have smiled -.

Next I wonder who has enough clout to cause the powers (that be) to return decent prop graphics to the P-51, and while I am at it, to make the prop outline wider and tapered viewed from the side, similar to what the other DCS prop driven planes look like. And to add realistic bullet holes that do not look like somebody spilled the contents of a can of dark gray paint all over the wing. These little things make all the difference.

A happy man who has no other worries, but still, I would be delighted to see the improvements happen, because I love the DCS P-51, and she deserves decent graphics.

Cheers to all

The propeller issue has been reported and a new damage model is in the works. Now we just need a guided HVAR mod and nitrous oxide to have a chance in a dogfight.

You should not dogfight in the P51. But you can. Especially with 30% or less fuel.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Hi cthulhu,

the biggest problem for me when dogfighting is not stalling all the time, not falling out of turns.

I still wonder if the DCS vintage planes have realistic flight models in this respect, if it was really that hard to stay in a turn or a loop in WW2.

As it happens, the A2A FSX P-51 is also a bitch to throw around the sky without stalling.

I wish I could fly a P-51 in real life, then I would know, but maybe that would be the last thing for me to know before buying the farm.

Cheers all

Hi cthulhu,

the biggest problem for me when dogfighting is not stalling all the time, not falling out of turns.

I still wonder if the DCS vintage planes have realistic flight models in this respect, if it was really that hard to stay in a turn or a loop in WW2.

As it happens, the A2A FSX P-51 is also a bitch to throw around the sky without stalling.

I wish I could fly a P-51 in real life, then I would know, but maybe that would be the last thing for me to know before buying the farm.

Cheers all

Planes will stall if you pull too hard. You absolutely can dogfight in the P-51, it's particularly adept at high-speed scissors, but you do have to be gentle with it. The plane stalling is it telling you "I can't turn that fast right now", the P-51 has quite an abrupt stall so it can catch you off guard quite easily. The plane can turn in a loop all day (well until it runs out of fuel) but it can only turn so hard ...

On a practical note you might want to reduce the sensitivity on the elevators a bit, makes it a bit easier to not pull too much.

Trying Not To Stall The P-51 in a Dogfight

Hi Tomsk, thanks for the feedback and your advice.

Tell you what I am not going to tweak my joystick but will do my level best to be less hamfisted. Try to get it right. That's really a challenge but that's what this Sim is all about.

Keep up the good work

"I wish I could fly a P-51 in real life, then I would know, but maybe that would be the last thing for me to know before buying the farm."

You can fly the P51 IRL or with progression, an L-39.

http://www.stallion51.com

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I hope I do not come off as condescending, BUT dogfighting is all about energy management first, shooting skills a distant second. Dogfighting in WWII era aircraft is especially difficult because they require so much more pilot attention to engine management to obtain maximum performance, as compared to modern jets.

Now personally I am old and suck at dogfighting, but believe me, I was even worse before I studied the subject extensively and spent many hours practicing. The web has numerous references on dogfighting tactics, offensive and defensive BFM, but the key is simultaneously maintaining sufficient energy AND situational awareness. This is achieved by devoting many hours to combat style flying so that one becomes intimately familiar with aircraft performance parameters, especially optimum turn rate. Low and slow == DEATH.

RL experience has shown in every era that superior pilot training and experience overcomes significant differences in aircraft performance.

I am also very much of the "pilot skill is by far the most important factor" school. I personally think going heavy on the engine management is a little overrated. IMO the gains are small compared to a turn made at the wrong time, or in slightly the wrong direction. Missing a shot you shouldn't have missed. Pulling too hard when you didn't need to, blowing your energy and stalling all over the sky. Reacting to your opponent incorrectly, or simply too slowly.

Energy is key, but WWII planes build energy slowly compared to how much they have when they enter a fight. What matters most is how you use the energy you've got. Do you use it wisely, do you hoard it like a miser or do you blow it all for a low probability shot that you then miss anyway?

Dogfighting Skills

Hi all,

no you do not come off as condescending, because sharing experiences is always a good thing, and also thank you Tomsk. I guess that Habu is not referring to prop pitch and mixture, prop and mixture settings being automatic in the FW190 and the Bf109 anyway. If you refer to power or energy management, avoiding constant full throttle but not letting the energy bleed off, yes indeed that is an art to be mastered. And indeed, that is where hours of training come in handy.

The problem though with your average simmer is that there are so many planes to train in. The experience gained by racking up countless hours in a Fokker triplane (Rise of Flight is superb in my mind) does not help you win a dogfight in a FW190.

And in any case, you need to have TrackIR. Being able to look around you like in RL makes a whole lot of difference.

Yes and I agree, do not fly slow and straight for more longer a millisecond.