Spitfire Radiator control

razo+r

I tried to look it up in the manual, but there wasn't a lot described in it for the Radioator controls

The switch on the left, under the pitot heat switch, does control the Radiator right?

Also, which position is Auto and manually?

Labeling a switch with off and on and if you go with the mouse over it and label Manually/Auto is kinda confusing...

So you can't manually close it?

Grrr... Will be less useful for racing :(

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

The switch is a manual override for testing. Otherwise the Spit radiators ar automatic only.

So yeah, eo not touch it. It will open at 115 celsius.

http://www.kurfurst.org - The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Performance Resource Site

Vezérünk a bátorság, Kísérőnk a szerencse!

-Motto of the RHAF 101st 'Puma' Home Air Defense Fighter Regiment

The Answer to the Ultimate Question of the K-4, the Universe, and Everything: Powerloading 550 HP / ton, 1593 having been made up to 31th March 1945, 314 K-4s were being operated in frontline service on 31 January 1945.

The switch is a manual override for testing. Otherwise the Spit radiators ar automatic only.

So yeah, eo not touch it. It will open at 115 celsius.

Below the Radiator switch there are 3 guarded push buttons, one of them are for testing the radiator while it´s in auto mode (Switch Off).

The switch is probably to be used either at prolonged taxiing or to be used in an emergency.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

So when steam starts pouring out of an engine - is it a good time to get it in manual?

If the auto radiator control is functional this would not help, since it should automatically have opened the radiator fully.

But offcourse since You have no indication on radiator position, it would be worth a try.

Otherwise it´s rather time to reduce power.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

So when steam starts pouring out of an engine - is it a good time to get it in manual?
:lol::lol::lol: When steam starts pouring is a good time to bail out :thumbup:.

18Lbs of manifold are only to be used for 5 minutes (and even that seems too much for me). I've noticed that even using the 12Lbs boost and 2850rpm your temps get higher than desirable, once you get into combat like that so bleeding lots of speed, it's a matter of time you break the engine. Not easy, but one should keep an eye on temps almost all the time while in combat.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

:lol::lol::lol: When steam starts pouring is a good time to bail out :thumbup:.

18Lbs of manifold are only to be used for 5 minutes (and even that seems too much for me). I've noticed that even using the 12Lbs boost and 2850rpm your temps get higher than desirable, once you get into combat like that so bleeding lots of speed, it's a matter of time you break the engine. Not easy, but one should keep an eye on temps almost all the time while in combat.

S!

Well, that has been the limit for basically most of all variant of spits. 5 minutes.

Seems to me like the higher boost is not worth using in manoeuvring combat as it overheats so easily. With the mustang the impression is that it can sustain those 18lbs (67hg) for much longer. In the spit I have to be watching the dials all the time and give full stem only for really short period of time.