The Personal Connection

Fearsome-13

Hi guys,

I can safely say that of all the pc games, flight sims, and now DCS modules that I've ever had or played... the Spitfire is by far the closest to home for me.

For many, many years, the Spit has been my most favored of WW2 era aircraft... and the reason is this: my grandfather flew them.

He always spoke so fondly of his experiences flying Spitfires, first in the North African desert, with 9 Squadron, South African Air Force, where he flew one of the rarest mod Spits. The IX SHF... 4 specially modified IXs were matched in pairs to deal with high altitude photo recon German aircraft. He had always spoken of flying a silver IX, that had been specially modified.

When going through his old logbook, and read up on the SHFs.. that I realized I had found a photograph to add to the perhaps handful that exist...

Spitfire MA504

003_zpsfgrwzlpg.jpg

I have a scan of the photo here.

After flying with 9 Squadron SAAF, he was seconded to 145 Squadron RAF. Flying Spitfire VIIIs in Italy, with Neville Duke.

Here he always spoke of a beautiful Spitfire with extended wingtips, which he lovingly commented on in his logbook. I have subsequently been able to track down a possible production code for the aircraft.. and I believe it to have been the very first production VIII Spitfire! ZX-V

I have 2 more scans of some of his Spitfire days...

004_zpsldanbpvu.jpg

Here is one of the old man, sitting in his Spit, preparing for a sortie

And here he is on take off

002_zpsfg3toiqf.jpg

Sadly the old man passed away a few years ago, and I never got the chance to record his stories, and so they exist only as I remember him telling me, and in his logbook as proof.

This module has allowed me to imagine what it was like for him, flying a Spitfire for the first time...

For that I am incredibly grateful.

Big thanks to the ED team, and I look forward to flying her for many, many hours!

• Like 7

FC3, UH-1, P-51D, Mi-8, A-10C, F-86F, FW 190D9, KA-50, Gazelle, Mig 21, M-2000C, F-5E, Spitfire IX, A/V-8B, F/A-18C, F-14, FW 190A8, F-16C, P-47D

NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Virpil: Warbrd, Alpha-R, Mongoose CM-2 throttle, Warbrd rudder

Good story ... thanks for sharing it along with the photos.

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• ED Team

Great post, thanks for sharing.

My father in-law was RAF now sadly passed away, we often dig back into his log books and are in awe of what he had done during his flights, it is nice to be able to do that.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Lekker post! Thanks for sharing and greetings to SA.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss