Strange clockspeed and voltage behaviour gtx1070

voodooman

Well we all know that looking at towns or forests the fps goes down.

But why?

I noticed the voltages and clockspeeds drop in these situations ~50%

Very strange. you would think that in stressfull situations it should boost the clockspeeds+volts up, or atleast stay up, not go down. dont you think?

Tried traditional overclocking and the new curve editor based oc, same thing. when looking at the town area (in this case novorossiysk), volts and clocks go down about 50%, and the fps follows.

there's no overheating. i stay below 60 celcius all times.

now i dont know how smart these cards are, but it allmost feels like that when looking at a town it "knows" it cant do proper FPS, no matter the clockspeeds, and clocks down to save energy? Which is bad, because when ever the clockspeeds change that much (~1GHz), there's a stutter/lag spike.

I would appreciate if other pascal card owners could report this too.

i think it might be the latest update as i was able to stay +60fps guaranteed before the update.

now noticed some stutters and enabled gpu stats overlay, and noticed this strange behaviour.

tnx

Win7x64 / 3570K@4.2 / 16G ram / gtx1070

Edited by voodooman

I would not worry too much about it for now in DCS 1.5.

The terrain has not been updated yet to - I believe it is T4.

A better example of performance would be seen in DCS 2.0 which has been.

With my GTX 1080, I get far better and more consistent gpu performance in 2.0 than in 1.5. Some area in 1.5 I get very low GPU utilization and fps in the cellar.

I think performance will likely be more consistent across the board when the merge to DCS 2.5 occurs.

Also, make sure in your Nvidia control panel you have power management set to maximum performance.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I think performance will likely be more consistent across the board when the merge to DCS 2.5 occurs.

Also, make sure in your Nvidia control panel you have power management set to maximum performance.

I sure hope so...

I tried your suggestion of powermanagement, and also tried forcing constant voltage (msi afterburner). same thing with fps, it plummets when looking at the town even when the clocks and voltages stayed up :(

I sure wish they would take a look at this as i was able to stay +60fps guaranteed (no.1 reason for the card upgrade), untill the latest build, so there must be something off in the update aswell.

Edited by voodooman

It seems that the CPU is taking up the power and starves your GPU.. Is your PSU capable of handling your new graphics card as your CPU is kind of old and itself might be a bottleneck..

What might help you here is to set the shadows to OFF.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

I have a i5 2500K paired with a GTX 1070 PSU is a Corsair 750W Bronze rating. CPU is overclocked to 4.5Ghz and I'm getting the same. It seems that it is like amazingme said, but I don't believe it's because the processor is old or not powerful enough. The problem in my opinion lies in the old engine. Which has been changed a bit, but apparently not as much as for 2.0. I think it's an engine limitation - with same setting in 1.5.5 and 2.0.4 I don't get any downclocks on 2.0.4 and there's visually much more traffic in Nevada than in Caucasus region (traffic is what I found the biggest culprit for this problem happening). Can you post your DCS settings? I would suggest trying to lower in-game traffic to Medium or Low if you have it on High, that made a HUGE difference for me in terms of GPU frequency dropping.

Changing power settings to maximum performance didn't change anything.

Edited by Kenta

Failure is the mother of all success.

If Number of Objects and DirectX Commands Exceed the Amount the CPU Can Process, then DirectX Draw Commands will start to bottleneck as GPU Usage and FPS Drops,

Newer GPUs are also setup to drop Clocks and Voltage if GPU usage drops.

The Engine is Just Now Turning 1 Yr Old it's not "Old"

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

If Number of Objects and DirectX Commands Exceed the Amount the CPU Can Process, then DirectX Draw Commands will start to bottleneck as GPU Usage and FPS Drops,

Newer GPUs are also setup to drop Clocks and Voltage if GPU usage drops.

The Engine is Just Now Turning 1 Yr Old it's not "Old"

Thank you for your answer. It makes sense. Although I refuse to believe my CPU isn't fast enough to process what DCS is throwing at it but it does seems to be the case and I did think about that as being a possible reason. :smartass:

I do wonder why the same doesn't happen in Nevada, while flying above Las Vegas though.

So I did some more digging. And I think my CPU really isn't the bottleneck. Some interesting information can be found in the https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=157374 thread. Specifically this post: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2981849&postcount=156

He's getting same problems that we're talking about here and he has a i7 6700K processor overclocked to 4.5Ghz. I don't believe that CPU should be a bottleneck for this game.

As already mentioned, traffic, water and tree settings seems to have the most effect on this happening (GPU usage and therefore clock speed dropping).

I do not get the same effect in Nevada so I guess Caucasus map is just old and does something differently. I think 2.5 Caucasus is going to run better since it's going to use the same T4 (I think) as Nevada.