Brake Setting for Taxying

flyco

I have never flown the Spitfire, but I have flown the RAF Chipmunk, the same aircraft type used by the RAF BOBF to stay current on tail-draggers. I say this because I think that the simulation of the brake/rudder interaction on the DCS Spitfire may not be correct.

On the Chipmunk, you taxied in a very similar way, setting the brakes and then using the rudder. However, unlike the DCS modelling, the brakes were not 'On' when the rudder was centred. The hand-brake was partially applied (setting 2 notches down wind if a cross-wind was going to be present for the landing). Then, on applying rudder, the brakes for the relevant wheel were progressively applied, the degree of application depending on the amount of rudder applied. Thus you were not taxying against the brakes when going straight, as you are in the DCS model.

I would be grateful if someone with first-hand knowledge of the Spitfire could check this. I can't help feeling that taxying perhaps up to a mile or more, with partial brakes applied, would soon overheat them.

As I say, on the Chipmunk, the brakes were off until the rudder was significantly deflected from the neutral, and then a progressive degree of braking was applied as more rudder was applied. This also encouraged students to 'Lead with rudder, you buggar!' As at least one of my instructors was prone to roaring.

I don't know if this is the correct way to do it, but I don't taxi with the brakes engaged (I think you're right in saying it would cause over heating). I engage rudder then tap the brakes to pivot the plane.

i7 - 9700k | EVGA 1080Ti | 32 DDR4 RAM | 750w PS | TM Warthog HOTAS/X-55 | Track IR 5 |

I can't steer at all using the brakes. I have to use the rudder, move slow, and only tap the brakes when I need to, to straighten out the AC.

It's very awkward using the brakes to begin with in this plane, or even the DCS Mig15 is a bit awkward on taxi. I find that it's way to easy to overcompensate on both of them.

That's one thing that I have encountered in every sim that I have ever flown. Ground handling in all of them is just not that great.

Just did a bit of a check on this and for the Spitfire the DCS model is correct.

Braking pressure is still present when the rudder pedals are set at neutral, the pressure is just applied evenly. Pressure is only reduced by releasing the lever.

I'm interested in how the brakes are being assigned, button or axis, and what feels the most natural and easiest to use.

The brakes appear to be used in short bursts and not left on, so a button seems the best solution, using the No.3 button at the base of the WH joystick.

Cheers, Scream.

Edited by Screamadelica

I can be wrong, but looking at this this WWII pneumatic brake circuit drawing the impression is this work more as "ON/OFF", is not possible apply a proportional brake force like in hydraulic system.

In Yak-1

Yak_1_brakes2.jpg

Press the brake lever half way will not allow only half of air pressure available hit the brakes, only retard the pressure increase full in brakes fractions of second.

In cockpit videos on YT Spit, Hurri pilots is always "typing" on brakes.

There's a good video with camera under Hurricane panel, but was removed due copyrights.

But in games setting this brake on axis allow apply only 10, 30%... of brake force.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Lower your RPMs pretty much as low as they can go and it makes it much more manageable.

Everything slow, smooth, and predict the inertia.

spot on buddy! fortunately I've had experience with ground handling on the MiG-15 and -21. Which seemed to help.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control