Chuck's Spitfire LF Mk IX Guide

Charly_Owl

Great stuff, as always. Thanks :thumbup:

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Great guide again Chuck, thanks for all your work here.

I did wonder if one thing has been done correctly though...

Isn't the oxygen valve an emergency override? I think it works automatically, as the gauge starts to climb when you pass 10,000 ft, and you don't have any double vision even at around 30,000.

By the looks of the gauge, it seems to me to be a back up in case the automatic system fails, as the needle goes straight to the emergency sector.

It seems to me that we just leave it alone, and don't turn it on as your guide suggests?

Another nice product, thanks for all the hard work on all of your guides, they are extremely helpful.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Chuck, great work!

But I'm not sure if the label on Page 27 indicating that the button in the throttle lever is the bomb release button is correct.

Radio push-to-talk are traditionally on the throttle. This Mk of spit doesn't yet have bomb racks - so why use the throttle button?

I've been trying to find a good reference with no luck so far (in fact, found a questionable reference to the button supporting your "bomb release" label). But how else would the Spit pilots use their radios? Toggling the switch on the radio box? In a dogfight? Really?

Also, on the same page, the "Indication Light Power Switch" should control the gear-up warning lights and horn - when the throttle is retarded with the gear up, the horn should sound (and light come on); the switch allows silencing the gear up horn (at your risk). Not surprisingly, this is still a feature on modern jets - the F-15 has a little button next to the gear handle that does the same thing!

Anyway - great job; cant wait to try out the Mk IX!

Vulture

Krk66

This button on throttle is labeled in this way in game - if you have pop-up active and mouse over the button is show "Drop Bombs". I am not saying that this is correct, just how is. :)

Anyway click in this button on throttle in Mk IX don't active radio PTT like in Mustang.

In radio Control BoX (Type 3) the lever on bottom has momentary position (T) for PTT, but can be locked in T position by small lever above. Animation is correct in P-51 and Mk. IX, T can be momentary and toggle.

Not sure but seems that locked position is for voice activated mic in some radios.

R is for receive and REM for remote operation - in this case only the throttle button (in P-51) control (/).

In P-51 throttle button don't control (/) if radio control box lever is in T or R. But (/) can be used.

But in Mk IX the T position don't active (/) - what is strange because are not remote PTT button (?).

Alias different from P-51 in T or R prevents use (/). In Mk. IX only in REM allow use (/) - what suggest use a "ghost" PTT button somewhere.

:confused:

BTW - In Pilot Notes for Mk.IX (and other Mk's) the cockpit picture and description don't has button on throttle, as Pilot Note mention nothing about radio.

As curiosity, how is PTT in Spit Mk.I/II:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15612&d=1424207714

http://s3.postimg.org/feerlerzn/image.jpg

Radio T.R. 1143 (original) manual: http://www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/archive/1601_TR1143A_Vol_1.pdf

Edited by Sokol1_br

On fighter-bomber Spitfires, the bomb distributor, fusing and selector switches were mounted immediately forward of the cockpit door, and the bombs were released by a push-button on the end of the throttle lever: the configuration stayed the same, from the Spitfire IX through to the Seafire 45 (on RP equipped Spitfires, the throttle button fired the RPs and the bombs were released by a push-button on the control column).

Supermarine%20Spitfire%20XIV%20and%20%20XIX%20Pilots%20Notes1_zpsj7nbsylw.jpg

1-Supermarine%20Spitfire%20XIV%20and%20%20XIX%20Pilots%20Notes9_zpsxbtkltpn.jpg

1-Supermarine%20Spitfire%20XIV%20and%20%20XIX%20Pilots%20Notes10_zpssplv4fyt.jpg

Supermarine%20Spitfire%20XIV%20and%20%20XIX%20Pilots%20Notes26a_zpsmj95qjly.jpg

Edited by Friedrich-4/B

Is the Spit pitch unstable ?

I noticed that with a trim setting near neutral for pitch, if I push the stick and return it to neutral, the aircraft initiates a dive of which it never recovers, actually increasing the dive angle as it goes down at increasing rates... ?

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

I noticed that with a trim setting near neutral for pitch, if I push the stick and return it to neutral, the aircraft initiates a dive of which it never recovers, actually increasing the dive angle as it goes down at increasing rates... ?

I think that the Spitfire, like many WWII fighters, had marginal longitudinal dynamic stability, probably also depending on c.g. position, throttle setting, etc. So a divergent phugoid seems a possibility.

The Spitfire cut-away diagram from page 11 of Chuck's guide (but higher resolution):

91yhiDHdyHL.jpg

Question:

Did the Spitfire Mk IX not have a landing light?

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

I think that the Spitfire, like many WWII fighters, had marginal longitudinal dynamic stability, probably also depending on c.g. position, throttle setting, etc. So a divergent phugoid seems a possibility.

That could be one reason yes, anyway, I find it extremely sensible, but will try to gather more data.

Started a new thread about it Murmur:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=179354

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Wow, OK, I stand corrected. That is almost as odd as the "push to read the fuel in one of your tanks" setup!

That does sort of explain why the radio box is located just above and in front of the throttle box; relatively easy to reach to flip the T/R switch - still, not ideal when trying to make a break call, I would think!

Spit electrics must have been designed by Lucas...

Then again, the WSO in the F-15E uses his feet to key his radio - left foot for radio 1 and right foot for radio 2, so whatever works...

Cheers!

Vulture

The Spitfire cut-away diagram from page 11 of Chuck's guide (but higher resolution):

91yhiDHdyHL.jpg

Question:

Did the Spitfire Mk IX not have a landing light?

Nope, the landing lights in the wings were a hangover from the original specification that called for the Spitfire to be a day and night fighter; the last production variant to have landing lights was the Mk. VB.

Thanks for the excellent guide Chuck.

Just a slight quibble with Part-5 Taxi procedure:

"During taxi, keep the control stick pulled completely AFT to ensure the tailwheel remains straight"

Shouldn't that read "to ensure the tailwheel stays on the ground"?

Unless there is some sort of tailwheel locking (other than the natural tendency of a trailing caster to run straight) that I am unaware of, which is not impossible of course ;)

And in "Takeoff", item number 10 mentions braking to stop the wheels spinning (as in the FW 190D). Spitfire Pilots notes do not mention this (MkI,II or IX). Is it necessary?

Putting extra pressure on the castering wheel helps it stay straight.

Certainly, in practise, the tail doesn't swing out of line so much with the stick held back at the start of the takeoff roll.

OS:Win10 Home CPU:i7 3770K 3.5(@4.3GHz) COOLER:ZalmanCNPS10X-PERFORMA MOBO:GigabyteGA-Z77X-UD5H SSD#1:SamsungEVO850Pro 500GB SSD#2:SanDisk240GB HDD:2x Seagate2TB GFX:GigabyteGTX670 WF3 2GB OC1058MHz RAM:16GB 16000MHz DDR3 KEYB'Ds:Corsair K95/MS SidewinderX4 MOUSE:LogitechG700s MON:2x ASUS 24” ROUTER:ASUS RT-N66U DarkKnight INTERWEBS:Fibre152Mbps/12Mbps JOYSTICK:TM T16000m Modded THROTTLE:TM TWCS HEADTRACK:TrackIR5Pro

Fantastic guide! Thanks.

One point though, using flaps to help turning? Im assuming that is an oversight. Flaps in the spit are all or nothing barn doors that are more like airbrakes than a useful way of increasing lift in combat. Unless I've been mistaken for years!

Chris

Have downloaded and put to immediate use. Thanks very much Chuck, truely grateful!

ASUS Maximus X Hero; i7-8700K OC'd @ 5 Ghz; Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme 8GB; 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200Mhz RAM; 500GB Samsung EVO 960 SSD; Warthog HOTAS; Saitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals; HP Reverb VR; Realtus Forcefeel Game Pad running on SimShaker for Aviators software. :thumbup:

Hello Chuck,

Your guides are huge but they have a default from my point of view : your landscape page size is not compliant with default Kneepad format !

When flying in VR, the kneepad is the only way too look at documentation. And your guides are not at the good size to be right displayed in it...

So just an idea for the future guides: "portrait" instead of landscape format ?

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste