[REPORTED] negative g G-LOC

Ghost_SWE

It does seem to be a bit overdone at the moment.

I've had this happen a few times, doing a roll then without warning it goes black.

Panic and think the screen has shut down, then hold the stick steady and pray. It tends to make you a bit twitchy when you start to do anything that pushes the edge a bit.

It's because it retains energy pretty well.. too well I may add..

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

I have the same issue and I think it is a bug. I believe it is high positive G's, not negative G's. What normally happens in other planes is the screen fades to black as g-loc is increasing in effect. In the Spitfire the effect goes to 100% blackout instantly and goes away instantly. There's no transition. It should ramp in as the effect is increasing or ramp out as the effect is decreasing. But instead, the minute the tiniest amount of g-loc is occuring, the screen goes 100% black.

To better describe what I'm seeing, let's compare the Mustang to the Spit. If I were to plot the amount of "blackness" over time while doing a high G maneuver, it would like the following. Each line represents 1 second.

P51D:

======

0%

0%

0%

1% (G-Loc starting)

5%

20%

50%

75%

100% (Full blackout)

100%

100%

90% (pressure released)

70%

50%

30%

10%

5%

0% (No g-loc)

0%

0%

Spitfire

======

0%

0%

0%

100% (compared to 1% in P-51)

100%

100%

100%

100%

100% (Should be 100% blackout as compared to P-51)

100%

100%

100% (Control pressure released... blackout should be fading out but doesn't)

100%

100%

100%

100%

100%

0% (No more G-loc)

0%

0%

I had a chance to do some more testing last night. I was wrong. It is indeed negative G that causes this and not positive G as I had said. You can reproduce this by pushing the nose down hard at high speed and it blacks out. Relieving forward pressure and the view comes back. There is a transition to and from G-loc but it is much faster than it should be. Sometimes it appears to go from 0 to 100% in 1/10 of a second. If you don't do it as quick you can see a slower transition. But I believe it is too quick and or sensitive.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

maybe a little sensitive to get into that state,

also noticed that if you black out while firing guns they stay firing until you recover or run out of ammo, which i think is a pretty nice touch :D

haven't experienced that in other modules so not sure if it's a just Spitfire thing or in all modules?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Modules are like Pokemon you gotta catch 'em all :joystick::lol::pilotfly:

AMD Ryzen7 3700x, G-Skills 32Gb RAM @ 3200Mhz, MSI GTX1080Ti, TM Warthog (20cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind Pedals, Oculus Rift, Track Ir5

How many g's? There is a small number of people who train to deal with high negative g's ... they're not fighter pilots, who AVOID negative g since it hurts the positive g tolerance. As well, negative g maintained for even a short time should leave you unable to focus on tasks, and generally get rid of your ability to dogfight. So consider what's happening in game a suitable compromise. It may require some tuning, but it isn't unfair.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I agree with the OP here.

The onset of negative G causing an instantaneous and complete loss of consciousness is a bit odd to say the least. At the moment you can lose consciousness instantly when completing an aileron roll without the air frame being manoeuvred in anything like the manner required to cause this effect in a real human!

I'm wondering if this is a flight model problem specifically relating to roll manoeuvres? Nothing I've ever flown IRL has had the ability to do this without exceeding air frame limits well in advance of red out. :cry:

CFI

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, that video is pretty compelling this is a bug. This is my biggest issue with the Spitfire. Last night it happened twice in two successive sorties, both times resulting in a fiery explosion. In one of them, I was in a tight right hand turn with the progressive blackout coming in, and I relaxed the turn and BAM!, blacked out. Utterly ridiculous. I then complained about it in the chat on the server and was told that it was fine and doesn't happen to other people who fly "smoothly". I wonder if it's connected to device set up and models? Having said that, most of my squadron has experienced this at some point or other.

This is definitely a bug. Flying the exact same maneuvers in the P51D, fw190, and me109 do not result in what happens in this video. It is not a case of not flying the plane smoothly. It is also not always consistent. I am tired of people claiming it is not a bug. The facts prove it is a bug.

This is definitely a bug. Flying the exact same maneuvers in the P51D, fw190, and me109 do not result in what happens in this video. It is not a case of not flying the plane smoothly. It is also not always consistent. I am tired of people claiming it is not a bug. The facts prove it is a bug.

the thing is, you cant fly the exact same manouves in the other aircraft. try pushing the nose of the 109 down...eventually it will respond, but it takes ages, and is far off from what nirvi posted,...what in the spit seems like a gentle push on the stick, cannot be reached with the 109 even janking the stick fully forward...

but, in my view currently, the blackouts-redouts are hard to cope with in all ww2 aircraft. im not questioning the Gs being pulled or pushed(cause i havent measured them), but the fact that we are flying a simulation and cannot feel the forces which act upon our pilot can make it really hard to fly close to the limits. its those "instant-blackouts" im speaking about, where the screen hardly shows any indication of a beginning of a blackout, and then all of a sudden, the screen goes completely black instantly, without any warning. i see quite experienced dcs pilot still blacking out and crashing every day. maybe, its very realistic what we currently have in dcs, but its hard to cope with in a simulation...maybe, they should slightly adjust, and let the blackouts fade in more pronounced, even if its fast...but right now, very often it goes from 0 to 100 instantly. hard to react, when you cant feel and see whats going on.

• 1 year later...

Happens to me too. So I turned the G Effects off. It is too nasty the way it acts, even in 2.5.

Never seen a red out, which on negative G would be logical.

Fact is, once screen is black, it does not come back until your dead.

Edited by muehlema

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S