JOYSTICK CONTROL ASSINMENT

Busterbvi

Greetings. Looking for some advice on controller assignments. I've had DCSW for years but not bothered with it much as I was not really interested in the modules on offer, now the Spitfire is here and the Normandy map coming, all that has changed, the Spit is in my hangar. So, really I am quite new to the DCS experience. I have been a heavy user of FSX and more recently P3D for some 10 years and I am used to having all the essential flight functions assigned to a USB CH 568 Combat stick that has 18 programmable buttons so no problem flying with all basic functions available to thumb & finger.

Spend an hour or so last night trying to set up my stick in the Spitfire controller section FSX / P3D style but only the throttle, ailron, elevator, pitch axis and POV hat switch are working. DCS recognises the stick in the control section but it wont let me assign more functions to it. In any flight sim or combat game I would expect to be able to, this is basic essentials ! The functions I want on the stick are;

Gear up / down

Flaps up / down

Elevator trim up / down

Rudder trim left / right

Toggle views ( like FSX )

Brakes

Gun / cannon fire

I have tried a few take offs but crash out of control, I suspect because my stick is not properly calibrated in DCS, how is this done ? I have browsed the manuals but couldn't find any info.

Iv'e just remembered about the CH control manager software, will this work in DCS ?

Anyone else have this problem that can advise on the matter ?

Thanks.

Asus Z87. i7 4770k. 8 GB DDR3 @ 1866 mhz. GTX980ti SC. 120 GB SSD. 1TB Evo SSD. 750W PSU. W7/64. BenQ W1070 Projector. Yamaha RXV 673 AVR, Energy Take 7.1 S.S. 100" screen, serving wench & lap dancing facilities.

You may want to assign engine RPM as well, you will want full rpm for takeoff.

But yes, takeoff in this Spit is very sensitive and easy to let it get ahead of ya. Almost have to predict the yaw on the rollout before it happens.

Practice, practice , practice.

I have done it about 40 times or so now and am still pretty rough...Many attempts were made before finally successfully getting airborne.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies. Not looking for advice on how to fly the Spit, I have been flying the A2A Spit for years, once I am happy that my stick is set up properly, it wont take me long to master the DCS Spit, been watching the videos ! ( A Mk9 is a bit more unwieldy than a Mk1 ) I am more interested in stick calibration and control assignments. I hope there is a solution as I have zero tolerance for keyboard flying !

Asus Z87. i7 4770k. 8 GB DDR3 @ 1866 mhz. GTX980ti SC. 120 GB SSD. 1TB Evo SSD. 750W PSU. W7/64. BenQ W1070 Projector. Yamaha RXV 673 AVR, Energy Take 7.1 S.S. 100" screen, serving wench & lap dancing facilities.

Guys, maybe let's concentrate on the first part of Buster's post (getting controls to work), because without sorting this out, the second one (takeoffs and landings) is completely irrelevant. There are also a couple of threads on the latter subject running already in the main section of the forum, where one can find various observations, advice, vids and etc..

Axis assignment and tuning is one of the strong points of DCS. When You go to controls setup, hit "Axis Assign" tab and then "Axis Tune" one, You go to a screen where You can change deadzones, curves, saturations, reversals and whatnot. For such a twitchy plane as a Spit, adding some curvature is a must, though the amount strongly depends on subjective preferences. Also, what do You mean by "won't let me assign more functions to it"? You clean the chosen stock assignment, hit the button, but the game doesn't register and save this input?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Art-J, thanks for that, I think you just hit the nail ! I will have another go tonight as I wasn't clearing the chosen stock assignment, the "ADD" button was not lit on most of what I wanted to change so it was throwing me off. I will try clearing and re assigning my buttons later.

Is there a way to calibrate a stick in DCS something like the way its done in FSX ?

Edited by Busterbvi

Well, technically, clearing is not a MUST, You should be able to double click on the function, the window pops up, You push the button, the game registers the push and You're done. However, I prefer to clear some default, unwanted assignments (there are lots of them) to avoid any conflicting inputs. Also, DCS has a history of not registering inputs in this assignment window properly, sometimes You have to keep on hammering the button/key/switch before the damn game wakes up and notices something, though that seems to be dependent on controllers, drivers etc.

In any case, "add" button should be lit up. Are You sure You clicked the correct column (the one for the joystick, and not for the mouse, or pedals etc.)? Clicking anywhere highlights the whole row, but You must click the actual controller column to make any changes.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Gear up / down

Flaps up / down

Elevator trim up / down

Rudder trim left / right

Brakes

Gun / cannon fire

Assign controls in joy buttons is easy and flexible.

Eg. Machine guns, double click over the name in control list (can use the search in top of the list),

in the new window press the desired button (e.g. joy trigger), hit OK.

You can add the Combatstick pinky button as modifier for other buttons.

Then assign "Wheel brakes" for joy trigger + pink.

British brakes require "type" and not press and hold, so your index finger is well trained. :D

The side red button assign for cannon.

Can assign this same button +modifier for move "BBC" safety lock if don't want click in then.

In the same way that knurled left HAT can be assign for elevator trim and rudder trim, and + pinky for LG and flaps (Spit flaps has use only for landing).

If by this you mean press the button external view, press again fly-by, press again internal view...(I don't know how is in FSX).

In DCSW is not possible assign more than one function in same button (without edit LUA).

To this you need use external keymapper, like CH Manager (if are used), or if want keep things simple use Joy2Key very easy to set and use.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Thanks Sokol1 for the input. Looks like your familiar with the CH Combat stick !

You guessed right on the toggle views thing, in FSX you can toggle through the views available with one button, I do have CH control manager software ( never used it ) but will look into using it to select views and assign to one button if possible, I only want, cockpit, outside and fly-by views anyway.

What is Joy2key ?

I have one Combatstick. :)

Joy2Key is a shareware (no time limitation) keymapper:

http://joytokey.net/en/

Allow a button for press once A (or Alt+Ctrl+Shift+A), press again B, press again C, press again D press again A and repeat the cycle (or use sequence of 2 or 3), and other things like differentiate "click" from "press" on button (based in timer).

Manager can do the same thing, is just more "complicated" to get used.

JOYSTICK CONTROL ASSIGNMENT

Thanks Sokol1, just downloaded it, a quick browse of the "Read me" it looks like I can assign as many as 10 mappings or more to one button, this is ideal for DCS with soooo many views, saves stretching for the keyboard !

Art-J and Sokol1, you guys have made my day, thank you for being so helpful, love this community !

Edited by Busterbvi